Accord/8th Gen Stretching my budget to fit in 8th Generation

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by cred, Friday 1st Feb, 2013.

1. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    I am in the process of looking for a used car and so far I have found a few including 1 8th Generation. Thanks to this forum, I have also equipped myself with knowledge of experiences from existing owners and reliability of the I-DTEC if not misused.

So I phoned up the seller (small time trader) and got the VIN / V5C details and to check history with Honda (FHSH claimed). The concerned garage has confirmed 6 services, 2x MOTs (no advisories on either or failures) and 4 warranty work. 3 times for oil recall and once for fuel filter recall. Does anyone know what this is about?

Car is an ex-lease maintained/owned by LeasePlan.

The seller has also claimed DPF to be replaced by Honda at a cost of around £800 but it could be from a different Honda garage at about 70k.

The same Honda garage guy also suggested I bring in the car for its next service at 100k miles which would set back £415 and they would throw a free MOT as well.

Sorry for taking up space and time but I will be thankful if someone can let me know what else to look for.

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What model is the car?
    How many owners?
    What price is it up for?
    Whats your budget?

Fuel filter recall was for prevention of excess fuel going into the engine which had resulted in some cases of the car engine running after the ignition was turned off.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Three times for oil recall is just wrong as there was one master recall to that effect, however they have been numerous ECU update and roll up prior to that so need to know the campaign numbers.

4. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    1. EX GT 2008
    2. one owner from new (Leaseplan)
    3. 7k
    4. 6k

- - - Updated - - -

That is what I was thinking. How can I get the campaign numbers?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ask the dealer can you give me the campaign numbers once you have them put them on here.

6. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Its had the recalls done, but is out of warranty now.

Although as it has full Honda FSH, you should be able to get a goodwill payment towards the repair costs if something did go wrong.

How much warranty will the seller give you now?

If you do long journeys, motorway etc most days then I expect this car would go on for many years, with servicing. But for small trips the DPF would block up again I expect.

Do you do the mileage for diesel? All diesels since 2008 or so have had dpfs, which can clog without constant use.

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For that price, I'd take a punt, especially as recall work looks likely to have been completed (although you should get the seller to confirm this to you first for added peace of mind).

I don't think you can go wrong - very good specced car as well. Plus its a bombproof Honda and not some German junk whose engine will decease within a few hundred miles for the sake of "soft touch plastics".

8. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Unfortunately it was sold yesterday night to someone else in Malta :Messed:

Anyway I guess the search continues... !

9. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just keep looking mate. The 8th gens are a really nice car to drive. The EX GT has all the spec you'll ever need so just be patient and one will turn up :Thumbup:

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

At the price you mentioned, its not surprising it sold.

That said, keep your eyes peeled - you'll find the beauty you want in time. :Thumbup:

11. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Hi Guys

I have been posting in a different thread about the wheel alignment on my new accord and realised that I never introduced it here in the forum.

Anyway, after a long search, loads of phone calls and viewings later, I found this Buran Silver 59 plate EX saloon diesel with almost 95500 miles on the clock. because the time it took me to find this, i was able to save up a little bit more so 'stretched' my budget even more. The car has FHSH, was first sold and routinely serviced by Holdcroft Honda with complete paperwork / receipts etc within the black HH file covers.

Apart from the usual EX refinements, it is missing ADAS LKAS etc but Im not too keen on it. I guess it would have been nice to have but Im more than happy with the toys I am getting and the reverse camera is a very addictive tool. very easy to get used to :Thumbup:

Anyway, apart from the offcentred steering and tracking issue, im quite loving it!

Will post pictures soon...

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Congrats on your purchase,hope it serves you well.
    Enjoy it.

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Congrats on the buy, look forward to the piccies!

14. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014