Service & Maintenance Stuck seatbelt latch

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Chunkylover53, Sunday 14th Dec, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've had this issue for a month or so now on the passenger side - any tips on how to fix this?

After a bit more force and jiggling the latch does let go but in the case of an emergency its going to present a major hazard so I need to get this sorted before the holidays.

Thanks guys

2. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have you tried some wd40 or silicone spray in the mechanism to free it up, failing that disassemble the outer casing to see if there is a foreign body jamming the mechanism.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm considering silicone lube but I've also found something called dry lube which doesn't allow dust etc to stick to it. I assume its better as it won't gunk up further but as you said I should probably open it up and see what's going on first.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It an area you need to be careful with, as you could mark the belt and hence the clothing of the occupant. I'd be tempted to open it up to see the mechanism and take it from there.

5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Take it apart and lube/check the mechanism, seatbelts can be cleaned thought. That said the drivers belt on mine is minging.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Tried wiping the belt down with some IPA?

If that fails, its then probably the return spring that has lost its lubrication and therefore won't release the ratchet mechanism causing the seatbelt to lock on. Take it off the car, open the mechanism up, lube it up with some molycote (WD40 really is pretty useless, I wouldn't use it as it doesnt stay effective for long) and test it - as @Harvey suggested

Chunkylover53, Harvey and SpeedyGee like this.
  7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've never wiped down the seatbelt with IPA, though I use window cleaner when I clean the car. To be completely honest I clean the whole interior with Mr Muscle :Laughing:

Cheers for the advice bud, I was going to use dry lube but guess I'll order some molykote instead.

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Completely forgot to update this.

I tried cleaning out the mechanism but it wasn't much better. I had some dry lube left over so I used the rest of the bottle and now the latch is working well. Time will tell whether the fix stays put.

Nighthawk and Harvey like this.
  9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hopefully the fix will be a permanent one and you will no longer have the problem of it getting stuck.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    That will probably wash out the colour.

Get these when they are on sale: Dashboard Wipes

I have the leather and glass ones too and got them when they sold them for like £3 for multiple pack boxes, was a bargain.