Stupid, Numpty, Dolt and other amusing insults for myself.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Heckler, Wednesday 8th Jun, 2016.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phoned up the garage today to book the car in... new callipers for the rear and a brake fluid flush through... All sorted for 10am.

I'm then sorting through to make sure everything is in the car ready for them and realise... I never ordered new slider pins.

Ordered them priority delivery... so should be here Friday morning, and hopefully I can get them fitted in the afternoon.

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Do you know them to be in need of replacement? Mine still seem perfect.

But what I did have to replace recently was the bolts that go into the slider pins and hold on the caliper... over the years I've rounded the heads off and had to remove them with mole-grips, then file the heads 'kind of square' again so a spanner would fit. And they are non-standard bolts, so I had to buy them from Honda.

3. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

At the MOT in Dec I was told that one of the callipers was dragging a little. It took 18kg of force to rotate the rear nearside, and 27kg of force for the rear offside. You can smell the brake after parking up when you've been driving for a while and there is a slight band on the disc that tells me it's sticking.

I was just going to replace the sliders, as I had new discs and pads last summer all round... But decided to replace both callipers and thought they came with sliders... but didn't.

It may only be one that's sticking... but I got a good deal on a pair of refurbish callipers and will get some money back on the old ones when I return them. The sliders weren't expensive and I was gonna put the car in to have the brake fluid flushed through anyway. So doing the lot at the same time makes sense... and I didn't have to fork out a load of money a couple of weeks ago when Nighthawk fixed my gunked up engine (egt, MAF, IM sensors)... So she needs some preventative TLC... She's also getting serviced, new gearbox oil (filters done already) and a new fuel filter.

Oh... and she'll need a couple of new front tyres in a month or so... and I have to renew the insurance next month.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I've found that sticking rear brakes on my Tourer is practically always the pads jamming, even Honda ones.

5. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'm erring on the side of caution... New callipers aren't gonna break the bank and the car is 12yrs old and covered 161k on what look like they could be the originals... and I'm used to rear calliper problems on cars. My old MX6 had terrible problems with rear callipers seizing... well all of them did.

I will ask them to check the pads and grind down any little ridges around the edges to avoid a chance of them sticking.

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yeah, I moan about the rear brakes on the Accord Tourer being a bit fussy, but they're pretty good compared to other cars. The rear braking system on our MR2 Roadster is an absolute nightmare...

7. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Mine had saloon pads fitted - not guilty mind you. Pads were sitting cock eyed due to the saloon loacting pins :Frown: