Engine & Gearbox stuttering at 4k rpm

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Craig Carling, Sunday 28th Apr, 2013.

1. Craig Carling Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bacup
    Hi all, It seems the honeymoon period is over, and we are into the argument stage. My beautiful 2.0i exec doesn't like reaching 4k RPM for some reason, and cuts power as soon as it gets there. It's a reliable problem inasmuch as it does it every time it hits 4k RPM. (I should add this is while driving, not idle) I have never heard of a car doing this before. Any ideas what to fix? Also dipping the clutch produces a whine at idle, when in neutral. It seems to be there all the time, but is accentuated at idle. The car has only done 53k and is in otherwise excellent condition. I haven't had it long and have no idea of it's service history. I have one planned for next week though.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Last edited: Sunday 28th Apr, 2013
  2. wumps Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

have you checked it for codes some times cars can store a code but show no engine light on change the fuel filter incase its fuel starvation if you don't know the history of the car i have had that prob once or twice fuel filters partially blocked due to never having been changed

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If it was a 7th Generation Accord I would say check VTC operation but the 6th gens don't have the VTC system.
    If its doing it at exactly 4000 then it could be VTEC solenoid.

How you checked the oil level in the car ?

4. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    This is what is known as "limp mode" disconnect the battery for 30mins to reset the ECU and also make sure your oil level is correct or VTEC will not engauge honra the stutter at 4k

5. Craig Carling Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bacup
    Hi, it turned out to be the oil level, as suggested, many thanks. seems it's only the tip of the iceberg though. more to come....