Engine & Gearbox Sudden loss of power on I-ctdi - Honda are baffled :-(

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Jensen, Friday 25th Mar, 2016.

1. Jensen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alan Brigg
    I'll try to keep this short......

My car is. 2007 Accord Tourer diesel, 180k on the clock, with a full Honda service History, and up to now has been completely faultless. The car was re-mapped. By Fahad 20k miles ago.
    A few weeks ago I was accelerating out of a roundabout onto a dual carriageway, when at about 3000 RPM the car suddenly felt 'flat' and stopped accelerating, At the next roundabout, I did the same thing, but kept my foot down to see what happened. The car went into limp mode, and the engine warning light came on. I pulled up, switched off, and restarted, the engine light was still on, but it was out of limp mode, so I carried on the journey, but taking it easy. I also noticed that there was a strange kind of 'warbling' noise appearing to come from the glove box area of the car - a noise that didn't exist before. I took the car to the Honda main dealers in Portsmouth, and the fault code was P1237, and the problem was diagnosed as a faulty turbo. £2800 to fix !! I sourced a reconditioned turbo, for £240 from London Turbos, and had the turbo fitted at Honda for £420. When I picked up the car, it still had the strange 'warbling' noise, best way of describing it, was that it sounded like there was something big rattling inside the glove box. I took the car onto the motorway, accelerated and it was exactly the same as before, flat after 3000rpm, and after keeping my foot down the car again went into limp mode.
    Back to the main dealers again, and the car has been there for a week now. They tell me that the diagnostics still point to a problem with the Turbo. They have even fitted a different Turbo, and still get the same problem, they are baffled, and so have contacted the 'men in white coats' at Honda UK.
    Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Apart from the loss of power above 3000rpm the car still performs perfectly below 3k RPM, and the only other clue is this strange 'warbling' when I lift of the throttle.
    Hoping someone can shed any light on this.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    With a remapped ECU, especially one done by a file uploader, I don't think you can trust the codes.

I'd be suspecting and testing for fuel pressure issues.

How old is the fuel filter. That would be a good point to start, if it needs replacing, replace with a Honda Genuine one.
    Could also be a fuel pump issue or a pressure bleed off issue.

@Ichiban @Zebster your thoughts please :Smile:

3. Jensen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the speedy reply SpeedyGee. The fuel pump was replaced at the last service - at the Honda dealer - so I'm assuming it's a genuine one. I've spoken to Fahad, who did the remap, and he never mentioned that the codes generated could be wrong, but it's a possibility. I'm sure he'll will be along soon to give his opinion on that.

4. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Have you told Honda it's had a remap?

5. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    surely you're aware that there are two forums, why didn't you ask on the other one rather than here ?

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) can be misleading, as they may not relate to the current problem, but if the P1237 DTC (lower than expected boost pressure) gets deleted but keeps returning, then I'm reasonably confident that the problem definitely is boost related.

The noise you describe suggests a possible boost leak, most likely the large-bore pipework coming from the turbo (so starting from somewhere behind the glovebox. I'd concentrate on checking that (looking for splits or a badly fitting end)... some soapy water may help to prove a leak, if you can drench the pipework then take it for a run you may spot the resulting bubbles?
    - - - Updated - - -
    He's not the first to ask the same question on both forums. But who over there would be able to answer such a question anyway, apart from Fahad?

7. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

He is the first to ask on this forum only, whilst involving said person's remap in the description, then suggesting said person would "be along soon".

Zebster likes this.
  8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Ah, maybe a possible mix up!

Or perhaps the person in question will be along soon, but using a secretive alias. There's a lot of that about...

jimjams and SpeedyGee like this.
  9. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

are you , OMG, are you , oh no, surely not, are you ... a diesel remapper ?

legend-ary and Zebster like this.
  10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Ha ha... it's an honourable profession!

Seriously, @Jensen, remapping can affect the way in which the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) may interpret things like boost and fuel pressure (as hinted at in a couple of previous replies). Rather than Honda (who seem to have served you quite badly), you may have been better returning to Fahad for diagnostics (he does have an HDS and obviously knows how the resulting readings could have been affected by your remap).

jimjams likes this.
  11. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ agreed

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The fadprick remaps are notoriously well known in the file uploading community to be top class Shyte. Not only that it well documented on other Honda forums this fine uploaded had a habit of removing core DTC codes off the ECU completely and so even scanning the ECU will not help as they DTC are suppressed. I feel for the OP get your car back to stock then troubleshoot the car.

Denso23 likes this.
  13. Jensen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmmmm, I'm starting to get a bit confused and worried now. Firstly what's the comments about 'the other Forum'? I'm new to Hondakarma, I previously used 'Type Accord' but a reply from someone there suggested using this Forum, as Type Accord was dead!

Secondly, I thought Long and hard about getting a remap, Celtic or Fahad? Fahads remap said seemed to have been used on lots of cars, and seemed quite conservative compared to the Celtic remap.

The strange 'warbling' noise does seem to me, to indicate a leak somewhere in the system, but as the car is at the Honda dealers, I can't really do anything. As an aside I've been given a brand new Jazz auto as a courtesy car, I groaned when they said it was a Jazz, but after 270 mile trip from Portsmouth, it's surprised me, quite a capable little car, and surprisingly BIG inside.

14. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks like you joined in November 2012, but otherwise correct I'd say LOL

Jazz is alright as a courtesy car, maybe see if they'll do a straight swap, then you can still remain on HK.

15. Jensen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Correct, but kept using TypeAccord :Smile:.
    Straight swap? Id bite their hands off, I'd be about £12k up on the deal, sell it, another Accord and £8k in the bank lol.

jimjams likes this.
  16. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

LOL stick around anyway, but try the suggestion in #10 :Wink:

17. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I'm far from an expert but when I worked at a Merc dealer we had 'mapped' cars come in and the diagnostics would throw up all sorts of errors, the only way to start to diagnose problems was to flash the ECU with the manufacturers map. Personally I'd at least tell the garage what you've had done because as it stands they're reading the wrong info.

jimjams likes this.
  18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last time I checked fadprick had a clone HDS I may add they are not ideal for diagnostics so does that work in the real world? Somehow getting him to give a analysis to protect his own uploaded file is conflict of interest. he got his money so you may get :wait::Tumbleweed: out of him and a statement his file uploaded is the best thing since slice bread and your car has underlying issues.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry mate didn't want to see that as the defacto suggestion.

jimjams likes this.
  19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

understood :Wink: