Exhaust System Suggestions for Exhaust Modification

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Friday 21st Aug, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I was wanting to make my exhaust sound a little more sporty, but without the horrible bassy drone when cruising at 60 to 70 mph (that horrible drone is the reason had the previous exhaust replaced). I was looking at a Spoon N1 but doing some reading they are apparently quite loud.

I'll admit I know squat about exhausts and what does what, so I also need to ensure that whatever I put in won't cause my next MOT to fail.

Please feel free to make some suggestions on what I can do to make the car sound a little sportier without affecting noise when cruising, and also without making it look / sound too 'boy racer'.

I will admit I did like the sound of the exhaust before I replaced it when accelerating, but not when cruising.

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Sorted, maybe I shouldnt have mentioned your exhaust on Sunday!

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

ROTFALL

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm sat at my office desk at work, one ear phone on, LOLing away at that clip :Rolf:

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    :Rolf:

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

HAHAHA brilliant, mean sound Micra :lol:

7. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just looks so cool :lol:

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm not sure what you want is reasonably practicable, Roger. Wanting it to be noisier when accelerating (which is great) and being quiet when cruising (also a great thing) are competing aims. You'll need to either find a compromise, which would involve some degree of experimentation to determine the optimum trade-off or have an exhaust system with a 'baffle bypass' controlled by a butterfly valve which is itself controlled by manifold vacuum on a petrol (or a switch under the accelerator pedal, which would also work for a diesel). Such systems are becoming fairly common.

This clip shows the sort of thing I mean (jump to around 3:00)...

Last edited: Friday 21st Aug, 2015
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

What a pair of nutcases!

When that exhaust gets hot, there's new meaning to 'burning rubber' :Rolf::Rolf::Rolf:

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's was brilliant! The bit where he cuts it the first time and it suddenly makes that high pitched rasping had me in stitches! lol

11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Started with an EP3 back box, and maybe I'm hearing things not there, but it does sound a little better than the old back box

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I'm gonna have to try that balloon exhaust thing now just as a proof of concept! :rasta:

@RogerH69 Do you have anything in the way of induction mods? If not I would look into that because the noise is much better in VTEC in my opinion, it's quiet most of the time until you put your foot down and go into the VTEC band and it starts making an awesome throaty noise. I find exhausts on certain types of cars can start dominating the sound too much and I prefer mechanical noise myself then fart cans. I love the noise mine makes and when you accelerate through a tunnel it just echoes and reverberates, very addictive!

You could always go to a custom exhaust fabricator and get a backbox made to your sound preferences.

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

As a proud driver of an EV1, my VTEC works differently, so I don;t think that will really help, as you don;t really notice VTEC kick in on the EV1

14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You sure? The VTEC system on all i-VTEC engines is smoothed out, so the changeover will be seamless, even on my old VTEC unit, as its only SOHC the kick is not so violent as on the DOHC units, but the noise is still all their when you put your foot down and the top end power comes in.

15. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I don't notice any kick. The noise may be there though. Guess I need to do a drive by with a mate to check :Smile:

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    There won't be any kick as the crossover is smoothed out on these k series i-VTEC engines. Any VTEC noise should be highly audible from inside, although it will be drowned out with the stock intake system.

I have a video of how mine sounds, it's poor quality but you can hear the noise just about

http://vid1174.photobucket.com/albums/r613/simplyvtec/Untitled_0001_zps7229b0da.mp4

Have a tunnel run video somewhere too.

17. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Is that your Civic Type-S with the EP3 exhaust, and nothing else ?

Sounds very similar to how my car sounded in the trackday video I recorded (look after about a minute in)

18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Your one sounds similar just below the VTEC range and when engine braking and letting the revs drop down, otherwise when in VTEC mine makes a very pronounced throaty noise, it's not so audible in the video I posted up and I don't go to high up or hold down in VTEC due to speed limit. I'll try and get the tunnel video posted up when home I think the audio is better on that.

My car is also an Accord rather than Civic. I have no mods on mine, just a cheap kwik fit backbox and rest of the exhaust is some cheap nasty one off ECP, and the airbox is drilled.

19. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Did a bit of a test by driving with window open / closed and checked audio on dashcam to compare it to my previous video and to be honest, can't really notice any change except for an barely noticeable raspy sound.

I've decided to give an M2 Spoon N1 Styled back box a try to see how that sounds without any other modifications. Will have to wait till this weekend to get it fitted though :Sorry:

20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Did you do any intake modification? You won't get any proper sound with stock system as it is designed to drown out noise, you need something like a CAI.

Here is a tunnel run sound of mine: http://vid1174.photobucket.com/albums/r613/simplyvtec/tunnel run_zpsymlyuyzb.mp4

The Spoon back box will be loud and boomy on motorway I bet. i think you would be better off going to a custom exhaust place.
    - - - Updated - - -
    The Spoon box does sound good in general:

- - - Updated - - -
    I think this Fujitsubo would be what your after:

Seems a lot more quiter and less fartcan like then the Spoon.

The owner also commented: