Fuel Efficiency Summer fuel efficiency for 2.2 i-DTEC 2008 onwards

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by earthsciencer1, Wednesday 26th Jun, 2013.

?

Summer fuel efficiency for 2.2 i-DTEC

Poll closed Thursday 28th May, 2015.
  1. 26-28 MPG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 28-30 MPG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 30-32 MPG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 32-34 MPG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 34- 38 MPG

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. 38- 42 MPG

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  7. 42-48 MPG

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  8. 48- 51 MPG

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  9. 51-57 MPG

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  10. 57-65 MPG

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  11. 65 MPG ands above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    Perhaps the thread should be re-titled to read "Summer Fuel Efficiency......"

My 61 reg Tourer has really come into its own in the past month with the warmer weather . I have a fairly light foot and virtually all my miles are on Motorways and A-Roads, generally at 60-65 mph, but my last three fill to fill consumption figures are as follows:-

My reaction to the 61.66 MPG figure was that the odometer must be inaccurate but measuring it against the mileposts on the motorway it seems spot on.

I always use Shell fuel and have used the V Power Diesel for the last two fillups, taking advantage of the recent offer of 5 pence a litre off. On filling up again today I have gone back to the Standard Diesel so will have to see if the figure comes down again.

Overall consumption from new is shown as 51.2 on the computer but is actually 54.4 using my spreadsheet.

Can anyone improve on this?

Av guy likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Due to the overwhelming response on the http://hondakarma.com/threads/3384/ this tread has been started for all the owners to give their feedback and compare the results of the two polls.

This poll is to collate the information for all Diesel owners to actually want compare fuel efficiency figures from other Honda Accord Owners.

With Smmer in the air the fuel heater is not necessarily work that hard to ensure the fuel is dewaxed. Summer diesel fuel is also another contributor to better mileage,.

Please indicate how you are achieving this mileage in this format

How are are you calculating the MPG ?

Are you calculating MPG from full tank?

Tyre of Journeys i.e Motorway , Urban, a Mixture.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

At the moment i am getting about 53-54mpg (OBC shows about 48mpg)

Calculated manually from brim to brim, 2 clicks on fillup

80-85% Motorway driving at 65-70, rest short distance

Pretty sure i could get it 2-3mpg higher if i drove more the car than the wife which at the mo isn't the case because i work from home most days now!!!! The wife isn't heavy footed but wouldn't be bothered with driving very economically either....

- - - Updated - - -

Very very impressive, can't say i can beat this no. So you're getting over 830-870 miles per tank if averaging 58-61mpg?

Is your car the facelift model?

Does anyone know if the facelift model is much more economical?

Last edited: Thursday 27th Jun, 2013
  4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Should included if its an Auto or Manual car and possibly if its a saloon or tourer too?

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Then it going to get silly as different specs of cars have different weights. Majority are manuals members have to indicate which they drive.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. southerscale Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have tried to drive in such a way that I increase the fuel ecomony though I have not done any great distance miles on the motorway yet . When I have driven on motorways I have nursed the accelerator i can get higher MPG(50) but only if there are no inclines and wind is favourable. Normal driving around town its around 35 MPG.
    My old Saab with its 2.2 GM unit was 41 MPG around town doing the same journeys and 49+ on a run, plus it seemed more responsive perhaps it had better power to weight ratio though it only had 110 BHP. But for the moment the juries out regarding the engines ability to give resonable MPG I expected say 10% less than Hondas figures but its nearer 20% in my case.

8. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

Update from top of thread:

I have a 61 reg face-lift model tourer 2.2 I-DTEC manual

Last 2 fills have been as follows:-

783 miles on Shell Regular Diesel, 60.52 litres, average MPG 58.81
    760 miles on Shell Nitro +, 60.02 litres, average MPG 57.56

I am still looking to exceed 800 miles from a tankful and today's fillup showed 55 miles remaining. I would have delayed filling up except that I was going into a remote rural area where there are no Shell/BP stations.

Overall MPG since new in January is now 55.15 (obc shows 52.9).

The miles remaining indicator looks pretty accurate as I had 5 litres left (65 less 60.02) so the 55 mile figure was very close.

Ichiban likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Come on chaps 2013 summer is nearly ended can we get 2013 figures in the poll will run till 2015 so as your cars wear on it will be a good guide.

10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've just been to a baby show up in Manchester and thought Id see what I could get by driving normally.I live over 7 miles away from the motorway too. I reset my trip on the drive and took the reading when parked up in Manchester. My speed was between 70 and 80 mainly using the left and middle lanes.
    The first pic is the first 20 miles

20130928_083240.

This is what I finally got when I arrived. If I hadn't used the outside lane so much I think I would have easilly got 59mpg!!

20130928_093103.

On the way back it dropped to 53mpg due to staying at 80 and a few little bursts to get to the front of the middle lane. The left lane wasn't used this time so still not a bad result for not driving like a granny.

11. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

That is an excellent result at those speeds. Presumably your car is a Saloon.

Although I am really pleased with with the results from my car (between 57 and 59 MPG on each fillup over the last 3k miles) I very rarely exceed 65-70 mph, even on quiet stretches of motorway. Must be my age, I think - boy racer mentality left behind quite a while ago!

12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I have a saloon. I did notice when I used the cruise control in 6th gear when there was a 50mph speed restriction the real time MPG wouldn't drop below 70mpg!. At 80 on the speedo the cars only doing 2.5k RPM so its hardly racing the engine which is why I love the Accord as you can effortlessly keep a decent pace with out it stressing the car.

A few weeks back I changed jobs and my MPG went from 53mpg to 43mpg! I now get stuck in a little bit of traffic which doesnt help. Last week I used the manual stop start technology in the Accord which increased it to 47mpg which is a hell of a lot better. When Im on shifts I should hopefully get around the 48mpg mark but Ill see how I get on this week.

13. zimowisko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My Tourer EX GT I DTEC from April till now done 8 k miles, MPG manualy calculated 45-48mpg computer says 37-40.

14. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Over the course of the summer i've been averaging between 53-57mpg, this is manually calculated after filling up. The OBC at the end always seems to be in the 49s-, under estimating between 5-7mpg with every tank.

One occasion when i was doing a motorway run, after 75 miles i think i must averaged 64-65mpg as the OBC was showing 59mpg and it's always at least 4-5mpg under estimating. It was showing a theoretical range of 900 miles (see pics - 825 + 75), which works out close to 63mpg.

Happy with the results as my Mrs does most of the driving and so if i was driving the car every day, i'm pretty sure the average 53-57 would be closer to the high 50s.

20130818_172650.

20130818_172605.

Last edited: Tuesday 1st Oct, 2013
  15. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have now done 5,000 miles since getting my manual I-DTEC saloon 10 weeks ago and the average consumption is 51.70 MPG (based on 8 fill ups) which is calculated from mileage done and actual fuel put in the car. I always fill the tank at each fill up and the best I have achieved is 54.83 and the worst 49.38.

The trip computer average is normally showing about 2 MPG better than actually achieved.

I could not see where to enter the poll!:Search:

Last edited: Wednesday 2nd Oct, 2013
  16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Would love to be able to comment on this but my I-DTEC is too new (2 weeks old/850miles) so giving wildly varying MPG figures - 38 - 52MPG is the range. It's gone through a tank and a half so not really much better than my 2.0 i-VTEC at the moment.

It is starting to creep up overall as the engine loosens up. The next 5-10k will make the difference.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It could be the fact your still driving the diesel like a petrol reeving the nuts off it as you would have to in petrol?

back off the revs change gears quicker and use the broader low down torque at higher gears.. don't drop too quickly to lower gears stay in high gear etc etc