Body, Paint & Styling Sunroof Fault

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by dennismate, Saturday 2nd Mar, 2013.

1. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    Today I noticed the sunroof wasn't closed properly (not complete flush with the roof) so I thought I'd cycle it back and then forward to reseat it. It retracted back into the roof OK, but when I went to close it it would get half way then make a terrible clicking sound then back off as if something was jamming it. I checked but I couldn't see anything, so I put the nearest Honda dealers in the sat nav and headed over to see if they could shed any light on the matter.

The dealers was over 14 miles from where the fault occured and it was bloody cold driving along, anyway on the way I kept trying it but it would not close beyond halfway before backing off. Whilst I was waiting for the lights to change I tried it again but this time I tried moving the roof blind to see if I could feel anything and suddenly it closed up tight but it dropped a rubber seal into my lap. I'm a bit reluctant to try opening it again as I don't want it stuck open again.

As the car is less than 2 years old I'll take it back to Thames Honda for them to investigate under warranty. I have also noticed that when the blinf is slid open and closed there is a rattle at the limits of travel so I guess the seal is something to do with that.

Has this happened to anyone else??

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

can't say I have experienced this - but given the warranty period that your car is under, it may well be a fried motor causing the issue stopping it from closing properly.

Pardon the pun, but in this case, its an open-and-shut case and I can see this entire unit being replaced without any quibble to be honest. :Thumbup:

3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I doubt it's the motor. More like the rubber seal came unseated and jammed the sunroof.
    Once you moved the blind it gave room for the seal to drop out.
    Honda just need to replace the seal.

4. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    I tend to agree Rob, I am relucant to try to see if it now opens and closes freely though as I park my car outside and don't want to risk it getting jamed open. The seal, is in some way, part of the roof blind mechanism I'm thinking as from the outside the roof looks like its sealed now.

I'll pop into Honda's first thing Monday and get it booked in.

I'll post progress on this thread as I get it.

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    In your boot you should have a handle or something similar (it will be shown in the handbook) which you can use to manually wind the sunroof closed if it was to get stuck open again.

As said, it sounds like a seal has come loose and got wedged in the mechanism. They should just need to replace the seal, getting to it however maybe another issue. But as it's under warranty that's not your problem.

6. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    Went into Honda's today, the guy on the service desk told me that 2011 2.0 EX did not come with a sun roof so questioned whether it would be covered under warranty. Even if it was specified as an option at the time of order the warranty should cover it, shouldn't it???

Also, it would appear that's it's more than a mis-placed seal, foolishly I retracted it again today as the sun was shinning, and again it would not close, goes about half way then backs off, luckily by fiddling with the blind I managed to close it up.

It's booked in next Monday for them to take a look at it, also, it's due it's 2 year service so kill 2 birds...

7. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Not covered under warranty, what an idiot that guy was!! Its a factory fit sunroof for f**** sake....

Make them sort it for you.

8. tree of life Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Before I purchased mine, the seal was deformed. This stopped the sunroof from closing properly. Dealer replaced seal. However I don't intend to use it anyway!

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd escalate to Honda UK as well.

If only to expose the stupidity of the dealer who stupidly claims the sunroof isnt covered under warranty.

10. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    I’ll let them assess the situation first, if they don’t honour the warranty, for what is clearly a mechanical breakdown, I’ll show them the Pre-Delivery Inspection form that comes with all new Hondas, there is a tick in the box (84 Sunroof operation) on mine so they’re going to struggle trying to get out of it.

My PDI form is dated 03/03/2011, am I right in believing that Hondas come with a 3 year warranty? My car has only covered 5,500 miles since first registered so I believe I am well within the warranty terms and conditions, unless there is some clause re: sunroofs.

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

CJ may correct me, but I am very sure that petrol/diesel EX models came with sunroof as standard.

Happy to be corrected if wrong.

12. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    My original 2008 8th Generation. 2.0 Petrol didn't have one, but I think it became standard on later cars. My current car is a March 2011 model so isn't that just before the facelift??

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes thats before the facelift.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dennis this is totally wrong its clear the person who you have spoken to does not have a clue , just ask to speak to the service manager and don't be fobbed off by the front desk staff.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes they did

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    which version of the 2.0 was this ? only the EX and EXGT had them

17. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    Both of my Accords have been 2.0 petrol auto EX models, first one, a 2008 model, so an early 8th Generation. didn't have a sunroof, my current car, a 2011 model, so probably one of the last before the facelift, does have a sunroof.

My assumption was, that as slightly revised model was on the way Honda upped the spec on the outgoing model, most car makers seem to do this.

18. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just had a look here:

Honda UK Newsroom - Cars - Accord - Accord Saloon - Honda UK Newsroom

Page 57 of the 2008 Press Kit.

It lists sunroof only for 2.4 EX (Petrol) and 2.2 EX I-DTEC only. However, it does NOT indicate that this was even an optional feature at all. So your theory that this was a last of the line factory fitment makes perfect sense.

And in any case, the car is under warranty - so irrespective of optional or not, they have an obligation to fix it. Hope this helps. :Thumbup:

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Very very strange indeed.

20. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    OK, took it in today and they have put in a claim under Honda warranty for parts, they recon it's a big job and I'll need to leave it with them for the day. They've asked me to book it in again for the work to be completed, which I'll arrange for next week, they can also clean the head lining whilst there about it as it is now covered in dirty marks, as is the drivers side floor mat. I noticed the mat straight away and mentioned it to the service dept, he came out and took a look and said when I book it back in they will give it a thorough clean or replace with a new one if it won't clean up.

Can't say I'm that impressed with customer service I'm getting