Body, Paint & Styling Sunroof opens on its own...

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Sibzter, Tuesday 13th Jan, 2015.

1. Sibzter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey there. This is a weird problem.

I was driving my car today and everything was going well but then after a minute the sunroof opens on its own. It didn't actually open but it went to the tilted position like when you push on the button.

I cannot close it with the button so I closed it manually. When I switched on the electricity the same thing happens again, it went to the tilted position. I then proceeded to open it manually, switched on the electricity and closed it. It closed but as soon as it closed it went back to the tilted position...

Anyone had a similar problem? Tried searching the web but I didn't find anyone that had a problem like me.

Sorry if my English is bad, it isn't my first language...

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I haven't come across the issue before, but given the location I would assume water has got into the button housing and is bridging the two wires for the tilt button. Is the area moist at all to touch?

hondream likes this.
  3. Sibzter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No, not at all. Thinking about popping it into the garage to let it defrost and see if it will help at all...

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That's probably a good shout, water could also be bridging the wires further along the chain as well, doesn't necessarily have to be the button housing.

5. Sibzter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nothing has changed. Going to take the fuse out and take it to a repair shop, this is out of my league :Tongue:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's an odd one for sure.

Keep us updated on the situation @Sibzter

7. Sibzter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update long due.

I took it to a shop and asked them to try to find out what was wrong. They measured all the wires and checked the ground. Everything is working good so they wanted to read the computer but they couldn't connect to the car.
    They didn't charge me for the work and I am going to take the car to the dealership a week from now.

The culprit maybe some motherboard or control unit something something...

8. Sibzter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Another update. Went to the dealership today, they found nothing. They want to order some necessary relays and other stuff before they start to tear the headliner off.

They said it'll take about three weeks for them to arrive.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

This is probably one of the most odd cases we've had, good to hear the dealer is gathering supplies for a proper look into it though. I'm almost out of ideas!

10. Sibzter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alright another late update. The dealership found nothing, all relays worked fine.

Next step is to order a new assembly for the sunroof, motor and control unit. That alone will cost me £ 250 not counting the labor. I don't think it's worth it so I guess there is nothing more to do but to weep ;(
    Upside is that I haven't had to pay for the other work they did.

11. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    How did you close it manually?

12. Sibzter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There is a tab right next to the dome light, you rotate it with a flat screwdriver and that will expose the mechanism to close it. There are tools for this on top of the spare tyre (atleast for me). Then I believe it's a socket that requires a hex key (again, there should be a tool for this on top of the spare tyre). Then just insert your hex key and rotate.

I am not able to close it 100% percent, otherwise the sunroof opens. Removed the fuse for the sunroof and closed it 100%.

13. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    I assume you have tried sliding it open and then closing it, to see if it resets.

Isn't there a way to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a length of time. May be worth a try, to see it has any affect on the sunroof.

14. Sibzter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes I've tried that.

My alternator decided to fail the other day and my battery was out of the car for about 3 days, didn't reset it :/

15. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Very strange one that, could you not get good second hand spares to keep costs down?

16. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

found this if it helps

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's cheap !

18. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Another thought is to take the car to an auto electrician, as to me this still sounds like a wire that is intermittently shorting to ground/ chassis, have you had a new windscreen fitted before this happened? if so just wondering if the inner trim that runs up the A pillar was removed and on refitting has crushed one of the wires and as the body of the car flexes is causing this wire to short to the body.
    Cheers Pete

19. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I must admit it does sound switch gear related rather than anything else.
    For some reason the sunroof controller is being fooled into thinking the open roof button is pressed. Have you tried disconnecting the sunroof switch altogether to see what happens? Usually these things can just be a process of elimination.

Old Cruiser likes this.