Fuel Efficiency "super" diesel vs cheap chainstore diesel

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Ezeetrucker, Monday 5th Nov, 2012.

1. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    I have read a lot of for and against "super diesel" ie Shell V power, with claims of better fuel consumption, quieter running etc.. Do any of you have any thoughts on this subject??
  2. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

When i had diesel Accord i always used V power but TBH i never noticed better consumption or quieter engine.
    What i did notice that car run smoother then on supermarket diesel,more responsive.
    Might have been placebo effect but that how it seemed to me.
    Apparently V power diesel is cleaner and contains additives that is good for your engine and injectors.
  3. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have tried Shell V Power Diesel several times and my car is certainly quieter especially when cold and more responsive but I have not really noticed any improvement in fuel consumption when using it. I always fill the tank and keep accurate mileage readings v fuel bought and also find the trip computer in the car is 2 or 3 MPG on the optimistic side.
    In conclusion I have decided a 10p per litre premium over supermarket diesel is just too large especially as I use over £300 of fuel every month. If the differential was say 5p then I would seriously consider using V Power more often. :Smile:
  4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I've been putting 2 stroke oil in my diesel for a few months now which makes it a lot quieter. I usually put shell diesel fuel save in my car but this last fill up the petrol station only had V power diesel left. I tried that and it does seem a touch quieter than even with the fuel save. Not sure if the cost justifies the perceived benefit though. If I was doing longer journeys I would probably get the benefit from the increase in fuel consumption it offers. But I certainly wouldn't put supermarket fuel in my car, it cheap because it's nasty. The shell V power is definitely a better fuel as its the only one which is a gas to liquid.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have been driving a auto diesel for a month and it been on all sort of diesels apart from Vpower ..BUT its still a muffled bag of bolts. No matter what you do the idling noise and the vibration after long journey can be felt via the driver seat.

Helen say I exaggerate the noise level and the muffled bag of bolts is a myth, hope this reviews helps someone who dislikes diesels like me.

Full blog on the diesel experience coming soon.
    SayamaAccord likes this.
  6. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I have started to use Shell V Power for the past eighteen months or so and I have had an improvement in fuel consumption. In May last year I took my new caravan down to Dorset and only achieved 25 MPG with a tank of Asda diesel. I was quite shocked at this when I topped up at Sainsburys. Prior to driving home I topped up with Shell and there was a noticeable improvement to 30 MPG. Consequently, I now eschew supermarket fuel in favour of Shell.

I changed my caravan earlier this year to a bigger one, and travelling to Scotland via M6 and M74, and then by side roads, I managed 29 MPG. The route to Dorset was almost all motorway and dual carriageways, so I assume Shell diesel was the better fuel.
  7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I agree with Robbie, for me the issue is the choice of garage not the choice of fuel.

I remember once filling up with supermarket brew and listening to the car shuddering at the lights and nearly conking out in a tough part of a strange town...then I topped up with Shell a mile down the road and all was fine.

Only use Shell or BP usually.
  8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I agree with Helen but hey I'm biased.:Wink:

Oh yeah and I know how you hate diesels.
    Ichiban likes this.
  9. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Thanks for all your replies guys. I filled up today for the second time only, I have only had the CR-V for 2 weeks. I filled up when I bought the car at Morrisons and used cheap diesel. I filled today and used BP ultimate, will let you know if I find any difference.
    I did well over 400 miles on the first tank, and the average fuel consumption was just a shade over 44 MPG. I reckon BP ultimate will have to go some to beat that.
  10. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had to put half a tank of Morrisons diesel on top of my V Power a while ago to get home from Cardiff and can`t say I`ve noticed any difference. I`ve also filled up in France a few times with their supermarket diesel and again everything seemed fine.
    I`m hoping though that its true it keeps the internals clean so I`ll carry on using V Power
  11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yep I used the supermarket stuff in France too due to cost, and got away with it
  12. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Well first day out with BP Ultimate, and although traffic was heavy, I have to say the bottom end, low revs, was a lot more responsive than before.
    Maybe there is something to these "super" fuels after all.
    Doing a 200 miles round trip on Sunday, will report my thoughts after that.
  13. AlanP6 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have tried keeping a detailed log of this in my other car; a Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI. I noted the mileage and the amount to fill up the tank and calculated the consumption. The indicated consumption on the cars computer was always about 1-2mpg higher. I also noted the brand of diesel being used. After keeping this up for the better part of a year I concluded that there is bugger all difference between supermarket fuel and Shell or BP as far as consumption goes. Long term damage due to a proportion of biodiesel in some brands might be a different matter though.
  14. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've had my CR-V for three years now and it does not like Supermarket diesel about 2-3 MPG less than Shell regular diesel and it runs rough and is more noisy.
    I have yet to try 2 Stroke oil as an additive several people on another forum have used it and say diesels start quieter and run smoother.
  15. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The clip below shows you get 6bhp but no mention of torque increase.

Latest 5th gear clip

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  16. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Thanks for the videos Racy Jace, I am assuming there must be a small increase in torque too.
    I have not used V power yet, there's not a shell garage near me, but I have used BP ultimate and at the moment I am trying Total excellium diesel. With both of these, I do notice bottom end low revs far smoother and quieter.
  17. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The Golf TDi 140 I had before my CR-V definitely went better on Shell V Power or BP Ultimate than on ordinary diesel. When I used ordinary diesel I often noticed a slight hestitation when accelerating, although the dealer said they could find nothing wrong.

By contrast the CR-V seems a lot less fussy and is running fine on ordinary Shell diesel, so I haven't tried V Power yet. I will probably try a tank full of V power just to see if it makes enough of a difference to be worth the extra cost.
  18. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    44 MPG - WOW. I've had my CR-V 2.2 diesel for 3 months and have averaged 35.5 at best. Is this common. I think I agree with IchibanAccord on his view of diesels. I had an Accord Tourer before this CR-V and regularly got 44. I wonder if it's the CR-V that has poor consumption as I assume it is the same engine?
  19. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    I have had my 2008 CR-V for five and a half months now, and covered 2646 miles at an average of 42 MPG. The worst I got was 34 MPG and the best was 44 MPG.
    The 34 MPG was a one off, my usual is around the 40 plus mark.
    I do notice that once you climb above the 2000 RPM mark, that knocks back economy.

If your CR-V is Still new KENQW, I would expect you to see some improvement once things loosen up a bit.
  20. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    It's just passed 40k, so not exactly new.