Fuel Efficiency Super Unleaded or not?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Karl_T, Friday 1st May, 2015.

1. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Just wondering what people are running, particularly the 2.4 owners. The minimum 95RON or something better. Noticing a difference? Smoother cheaper overall, livelier?

Ta

Karl

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Is there any point in using a higher RON on these engines? Do they have a suitable range of ignition advance? I understand most Tesco Momentum 99 RON is wasted!

4. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    I used to believe that the higher RON petrol gave better mileage . According to my on board computer it doesn't, but a light foot on the gas does.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    In theory, a higher RON shoukd give better everything!

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    These engines do have knocks sensors so should respond to any knocking by advancing timing.

I think RON of LPG fuel is 103 and all the Honda engines I've converted (D series, K series, R series and H series) all run very well.

So if then can cope with 103 RON, 98 RON should be walk in the park.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Or retard, even! How do you confirm that the engine is actually making full use of the fuel's octane rating?

It's the extend to which the ignition timing is functionally capable of advancing the timing without limit (prior to the onset of pre-detonation/knocking/pinking) that I was questioning. I understand that many modern ECUs will not allow the ignition to take advantage of anything higher than 95 RON (maybe 98), but happy to be corrected in relation to the K-series (which I admittedly have very little experience with).

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    To be honest I'm not sure.

And yes I did actually mean retard.

Zebster likes this.
  9. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hey, hey, guys, easy.
    It should be the other way around: If an engine can cope with 95, than it is a walk in the park to use 103 and anything higher....
    The higher the number, the better the resistance to self ignition of the mixture. And with good knock sensors (like on the 2.0 and 2.4 liter) this should give a higher mileage as ignition can be advanced.

I use 'EURO 95'. Already tried several times 98 but can't feel or see (mileage) any difference.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I use 97 RON BP Ultimate and it perform perfectly the ignition advances automatically and retard accordingly if you feed it lower RON fuel.

On my first gen I run BP ultimate with five degree advance

11. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Tried several tanks of Shell V-power & found its does not make any difference to fuel consumption or how my 2.4EXi Accord goes. I calculate consumption & find that MPG computer read out is 2 to 3 higher.

It has been confirmed by independent tests that only high performance cars such as Honda S2000, Mitsubishi Evo etc benefit in performance from Super unleaded fuels unless you believe additional additives they are supposed to contain keep engine cleaner.

So I use Shell unleaded in Accord and Shell V Power Nitro in S2000. Best to not use Supermarket petrol unless source is known EG Sainsbury petrol might be by BP.

Kash likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have Stop using Shell VP as it has ethanol and BP ultimate does not . Super unleaded does keep the engine healthier and there is no lag or performance degradation at all that's after 20 years of using it.

I have taken the head off inspect the valves and piston crown on bikes, cars, lawnmowers anything with a engine basically.. all you find they are grey residue no oil no thick carbon jelly on the piston crowns, check you tail pipe its clean as a whistle no carbon at all . There is most certainly a performance boost at the top end.

13. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Does Shell unleaded also contain ethanol?
    What is the problem with ethanol ?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Do you use BP ultimate in lawnmower?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    All Shell Fuel have ethanol, the problems with ethanol are widely known buddy it hygroscopic and it attracts water which left for long duration turs acidic and with water in your fuel.

Off-Topic - Fuel consumption down amidst so called reduced fuel price

yes I do use BPU in my Honda Izy it 10 year old and its never been de-carbonised. its perfect.

15. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Thanks, wife uses BP unleaded in her CR-V & sometimes Esso unleaded. Do you know what brands contain ethanol ?

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    BP normal unleaded has ethanol BTW only a BPU Texaco premium are the one which are 100 % petroleum all the rest top and bottom are E10.