Engine & Gearbox Supermarket 5w-30 Fully Synthethic - £15 Would you use it in your 2.4 petrol engine

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hondream, Wednesday 15th Apr, 2015.

1. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    I didn't want o hijack a related thread (see link below).

In short, would use this supermarket own brand oil in your 2.4 facelift accord.
    It's a 5 litre bottle - very attractive. Normally £22 now £15

However, no mention of Honda on the bottle.
    Does mention Vauxhall, BMW.

Obviously, not to be used if you are redlining the engine all the time.

Your thoughts.

Engine & Gearbox - The best engine oil for 2.4

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    So long as it meets ALL the specs for your engine, as demanded by Honda, why not?

hondream likes this.
  3. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    As Zebster says, and as long as it's not Flora, crisp and dry or any other cooking fat. lol

Modplod and hondream like this.
  4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Care to share a link, Simon?

5. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Not sure what you mean Zeb?

If you mean where are they selling it (It starts with A & ends with A and has 4 letters in it, A--A . I didn't want to break any rules by mentioning the name.
    I think it only in store and not on-line. But i may be wrong.
    Hope that answer the question, but let me know if it doesn't.
    :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    I couldn't find a way to edit my 1st post.

On the bottle it says "meets or exceeds the following specs API SN/CF, ACEA 3, BMW LL-04, MBENZ 229.31/229.51, GM DEXOS2"

No mention of Honda or A1/B1 or A3/B3

In fact, no mention of Honda on the other 2 bottles they have as well, for Fords & VW group of companies.

6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Oil is one of those subjects that could be discussed for several years and no real conclusion.
    I am sure some experts will tell you only by the best ester based gold standard liquid diamond oil. Others say as long as it meets the spec its fine.

I honestly have no clue but I do have some years experience. I used to own a Nissan Primera eGT 2.0 (for those in the know this was a rally bred family saloon car wasn't massively fast but sure handled) I had if from 30K miles on the clock and ran it on GTX mineral oil to 150K where I sold it and it went on for many years after that. I used to thrash it daily and it never used a drop of oil. Now every body says only use fully synthetic etc etc...

I have used all sorts in the past but I do tend to stick to castrol edge these days. I know more modern engines can be more sensitive (especially diesels).

Now I change my 2.4 every 6 months and have stuck to this regular oil change schedule for years and its always been fine.

So I would say go for it, it should be fine but change regularly and you engine will be happy.

7. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Used to run my old L200 Warrior on that no problem :Wink:

Bones126 likes this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You would be fine I think although i wouldn't personally use it myself, am sure I have seen the ACEA 2 or 3 somewhere on Honda's recommendations.

You will also probably find this oil is made by the same people and on the same factory lines as some of your known brands like castrol etc.

9. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    I have a 2.4, and if I was skint I would use it. Its the same old story you get what you pay for. :Smile:

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Out of interest what supermarket is it?

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Castrol don't actually make oil. You may as well use supermarket stuff (I use ECP Triple QX in my diesel and stock up when there's a sale on).

Is the K24 particularly demanding in its oil requirements?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I won't be using an oil which meets specs at a low price you get what you pay for.

13. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    How did you know I was skint :Smile:

JamesS likes this.
  14. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I didn't know Castrol didn't refine their own oil. Who does it for them? Always good to get some insider info .... and know if there's a cheaper option f the same quality