Engine & Gearbox Surging engine

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Mudinureye, Tuesday 6th Oct, 2015.

1. Mudinureye Premium Member Club Supporter

Ireland Bertie Castlerock
    Morning all, hope all is good?

Recently, I have noticed that my engine surges when I put my foot down to accelerate, when overtaking for example. This is when it is running between 2-3000 revs, and sounds like the clutch is slipping. It happens in every gear. Also, sometimes the cruise control won't engage, and, once, it disengaged itself when going uphill at 60 mph. The car is going in on Monday under warranty for the garage to have a look, but, in the meantime, anybody any ideas or have any experience of these problems? Many thanks, in advance :peace:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. Mudinureye Premium Member Club Supporter

Will do - I'll take a few pics later and gather all the info needed

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If it's a diesel then there is a good chance that this is indeed clutch slip.

5. Mudinureye Premium Member Club Supporter

Thought I'd let you all know the latest on this saga! The garage this morning told me that the clutch isn't covered by the warranty as it would be deemed to be normal wear and tear, so, should a replacement be required, I will have to foot the bill. That would be, for me, the worst -case scenario. I only bought it from them in May, so I'm hoping that they will see sense and cough up, before I have to get some legal advice.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If it's driven okay since May, I don't think you'll get anywhere with legal action. A clutch IS a wear and tear item.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'd have to look it up before claiming it as a fact, but isn't it the case that legally ANY failure within 6 months of purchase is deemed as pre-existing to the sale date, and therefore the necessary repair becomes the responsibility of the seller?

Good luck with getting this sorted.

8. Mudinureye Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks guys. It's the 6 month aspect that I'm hoping will save the day here. The garage have been very blasé in their behaviour, and the customer service manager has been less than helpful; in fact, she has been downright rude and antagonistic. I'm not angry, just disappointed that my perception of the place as a trustworthy vendor to deal with has been proven wrong. Anyway, I'm going to have a word in person tomorrow, rather than over the 'phone, so I'll let you know the outcome.

9. Al Star Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I take it they have checked the EGR and the injectors..?? These if faulty can also lead to a surging feeling when driven.. Whats the mileage on your V..?

10. Mudinureye Premium Member Club Supporter

I don't think they've looked at those yet - at least, they haven't said so.... The mileage is 92300

11. Al Star Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The Misses had a Convertable Saab which had a surging feeling.. She had the garage replace the clutch and DMF along with a new EGR.. However it continued to surge when cruising between 50 and 70 .. she eventually sold it for a new Toyota.. Was told later by an experienced mechanic that it may have been a faulty injector.. which cost a fortune

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    But less than a new clutch!

We haven't yet been told whether this is a diesel or a petrol...

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Was it a honda main dealer? Mine changed my clutch and flywheel under warranty and it had 80k miles on it.

14. Mudinureye Premium Member Club Supporter

Sorry, I keep meaning to add the car to the club garage. It's the 2.2 CDTi engine, which points toward a clutch problem eh?

Attached Files:

15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yes. I believe it does.

16. Mudinureye Premium Member Club Supporter

Well, they're having none of it re the 6 month rule, and they have been become even more beligerent with their customer service. Muppets. Anyway, I spoke to a Honda service manager today and told him the problem; his first question was "Is your cruise control working properly"? Well, it isn't - it sometimes doesn't engage, and others disengages on its own. He thinks that might be the problem, and, guess what? The cruise control is covered by the warranty. Of course, Autozone in Coleraine, where I bought the car, now can't fit it in until 27th of the month, (they're suddenly "choc-a-bloc"), so I'll have to wait and see....

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Hopefully that'll be it and also covered.

18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If the cruise control has caused the clutch to slip (the clutch pedal does not fully return due to being obstructed by a switch) then the clutch has already worn.

I don't know the consumer protection situation in ROI, but get some proper legal advice. Used car dealers will always try to repel complaints regarding serious defects, as these parasites don't want to lose their profit!

19. Al Star Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yea check the connections at the top of the clutch pedal assembly as this can cause problems with cruise control.. also a dodgy wheel speed sensor can also cause cruise control issues ie it switching off itself.. Might just be simple as that..

20. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

If he purchased in Coleraine then it's UK consumer laws etc that apply

Sorry to hear about your woes mate hopefully you get it sorted and it's the cc at fault so your not out any major cash

That's disappointing to hear about Autozone ... They appeared to be a credible outfit. One to avoid then.