Off-Topic Surprised at this story.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Monday 4th Feb, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My mobile phone is getting filled with Honda two finger jokes now .. Not in good light but wind up by my mates ..

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's nothing, a Midlands based manufacturer has had two major causalities (loss of arms and legs) and a fatality at its press shops in the last couple of years.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It must be cheaper to pay the fines then sod safety ?

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

£10,000 for two fingers isnt enough in my opinion. At least he's got the other two to stick up at the judge!

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Quote: Mr Whittles said it was a "dangerous practice" and Honda had "failed in their assessment of the use of emery cloth and let him [Mr Santos] down".

It wasn't Honda that let him down it was his own stupidity!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its maximum permissible fine towards the company...I think, but the personal injury and loss of earning for the individual could be pretty substantial.

I can see this type of work being palmed off to robots now.

8. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well said doc too much put on employers. Always exceptions but at the end of the day you are responsable for your own safety.
    Seems at the moment do something stupid get hurt off work watch telly every other advert telling you to claim.

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Common sense would have said it was a bad idea and liable to result in injury. Just because you don't have the correct tools to do a job doesn't mean your own judgement goes out the window.

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I hear what your saying but Honda didnt give an alternative method of practice so the employee had no choice but to put his hands near a high speed machine. He shouldnt be put in that position in the first place. For £10,000 it works out cheaper to get another person than buy a new machine :Foolish: It may come out that he was paid danger money and was on 30k a year. In that case they can take off his other fingers:Blink:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup agree with you buy HSE doesn't see it that way , as a duty of care to its employees the employer has to make risk assessments within the HSE framework to identify and mitigated risks.

Not saying Honda have been negligent but the foresight of this happening has not be predicted.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Common sense is not common these days..it is bookish phrase

Doc, we have been told to think before we act ! As a IT engineer in working in state of the art datacenters with thousands of servers,power, fibre, network cables and high voltage circuits I face no end of resistance in my work patterns..

I as an employee have to complete and present a risk assessment and a method statements which is highly detailed step by step dumb @55 guides which has to be signed off by two separate individuals for every minor change. That takes my skill away a techy and focus two hours preparing this document submitting it to the CAB for approval no doubt a with a few knock back from people who have no clue and find objections for the sake of finding them ..these are the guys who have a few million safety training certifications but no practical knowledge .. its all bookish knowledge.

On the flip side you have a major outage some of these rules are flexed and you see movement like there is a sense of urgency.. hypocritical I say !

The days off the cuff adhoc change are long gone we are regimented in cover our back sides and prevent liability claims . No employer wants HSE Gestapo hoovering raising their fingers like your nan. The shock waves to a PLC and to it share value due to a HSE investigation can wipe of millions and potentially lose a big contract.

HSE make no bones in naming and shaming after the investigation after the verdict and employers have to accept it ..

We live in a world of paperwork to prove your creditability and covering your backside with a get out of jail free card! ..I would love to get into a time machine and ask Isambard Kingston Brunel how did you achieve your success ?