Exhaust System Suspect EGR Problem

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by moob, Wednesday 28th May, 2014.

1. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Hi,

I've got a 2004 1.4 doing Jazz with 64k.

I've always noticed the car is slightly hesitant to accelerate under low revs. I've put 2 redex treatments through it which appear to alleviate the problem for a few days. After that it returns.

Is this indicative of a faulty EGR.?

Thanks.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Rob,
    Welcome to HK bud, please do introduce yourself in the howdo section when you get a mo. Hesitation on low revs is a massive subsection and you have to troubleshoot systematically rather than assumptions and hope for the best.

So what has changed on your car since the last time it was perfect. can you give insight to the condition of the car servicing , plugs been changed , valve clearances , fuel filter condition,air filter condition & general condition of the car. Do you have any DTC codes from the ECU to give us any clues.

moob likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to HK @moob. CJ's got you covered trying to systematically check through the cars condition and then figuring out the steps to try from there. Definitely give us a bit of information about the car's service history.

What you describe could very much be related to engine breathing. I'd be looking at the intake side of things as a first check point carbon build-up inside the throttle body and intake manifold, as well as your airbox filter.

moob likes this.
  4. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Hi there lads and thanks for the welcome. As asked I've said hi in the introduction section. Think I know both of you from the AOC, recall CJ being the font of all honda knowledge.

Owned car for 8 months, problem has been apparent since then. Full detailed service history, mainly independent garage. Plugs changed at last service.

Car shows known piston slap noise from cold that quickly disappears.

Haven't had a chance to check air box etc yet.

5. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Sorry should add, no ECU codes, think fuel filter is inside the tank so not accessible. I think the plugs were changed at the last service.

It's only covered 5k since the last service.

It idles very smoothly at 600 RPM, it's virtually silent.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi mate, I recall your username now! you sure there is no DTC P0335/P0339 stored. Can you say the symptoms on your car are Intermittent loss of power,large flat spot or hesitation ?

if so you ideally need swap all 4 of the rear coil packs with a known good car and retest. Since the plugs were changed last service were the mishandled thrown around , fitted in the wrong cylinders ..check the wire connector to all coil packs.

moob likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The piston slap issue has a warranty extension on the 2nd Generation Jazz on a few affected VIN , why has your car not been back to the dealers for the the fix?

Is your VIN in the affected VIN range
    Affected VIN Range
    JHMGD1***2S200001 - JHMGD1***2S299999
    JHMGD1***3S200001 - JHMGD1***3S299999
    JHMGD1***4S200001 - JHMGD1***4S214181
    JHMGD5***2S200001 - JHMGD5***2S299999
    JHMGD5***3S200001 - JHMGD5***3S299999
    JHMGD5***4S200001 - JHMGD5***4S203708

Note all 2004 car WHERE NOT affected if your can falls within that range then you had 3+4 years = Total 7 Years.Mileage: 100,000miles which ever came first. This warranty extension has now lapsed so it will hard to get any GOGW from Honda if your car is affected.

moob likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    As for EGR issue you need to see the DTC P0403 before you want to investigate an EGR issue.

9. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    CJ, appreciate your in depth knowledge and help as ever.

The car has been to the garage for all recall work AFAIK.

I'd describe this fault as a flat spot at low revs. The car is certainly still very drivable. I'll have a look into these suggestions and get back to you.

Cheers!

10. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I'll need to get a scanner!

Are there any cheap ones you'd recommend? I think the Autel one on Amazon is well regarded?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There's a thread in the Tools section which discusses various ODB readers but nonetheless Autel is a good choice with lots of features for the price.

moob likes this.
  12. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Thanks

13. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Definitely not affected according to that list.

14. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Did you resolve this?
    Thanks

15. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Just for the record, I've been discussing this via chat with the poster above

16. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Manual gearbox bearings - noisy/whining gearbox

Hello
    Apparently this is a common fault. A noisy/whining gearbox.

Has anyone had this problem repaired to sorted out.
    How much would it cost for to repair this fault/problem.

Have Honda written to owners of these cars to bring the cars to the dealers to prevent the problem from happening?
    Is there any sort of goodwill gesture from Honda?

Thanks

PS- apologies if this has been posted more than once. The posts are not showing up properly.
    And it gives this error - Oh, Smeg
    The requested thread could not be found.

Sorry to have to post this here - but there's a problem somewhere

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    There's an intermittent fault right now that we're trying to track down, apologies Simon.

18. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Simon, don't go near one with a noisy box.

19. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    if you know what you are doing, replacing the gearbox bearings on a Jazz are quite easy actually. not a 5 minute job but not difficult, for me anyhow. regards the Jazz hesitation cj is correct about the rear coils. a scanner however will not show you the misfire codes that a Honda diagnostic computer will. you can then pinpoint which cylinders are misfiring or if they are at all.