Suspension, Steering and Brakes Suspension Arms/Bushes - Would fail MOT

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by rhardley, Thursday 13th Jun, 2013.

1. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire
    Ladies and Gents,

I've put my 04 Accord 2.2cdti Exec in for its first MOT under my ownership..

I've just had a call from the Garage, and it would require the Suspension arms to be replaced as they've come through the bottom of the bushes..

Bearing in mind, that's my translation, of his dumbing down for my none mechanical benefit, of what the issue is..

Could anyone assist a confused fellow Accord owner and expand on what the actual issue is likely to be?

Cheers
    Rob

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Rob,

First of all you do not require to change the whole suspension arm most likely your compliance bushing has perished Genuine Honda Accord 2003-2007 Front Lower Arm Bush | eBay

the old one need to be pressed out and the new one pressed in. don't change the arm the aftermarket one are not fit for purpose and there is no need to change then unless you have accident damage.

rhardley likes this.
  3. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire
    Thanks for your reply Ichiban, he showed me the suspension as an example of why the arms 'need' replacing, hopefully the attachment serves as a good representation for your perusal. I might see what HH say.

20130613_175047.

Thanks

Last edited: Thursday 13th Jun, 2013
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bud that arm does not need changing as horrific as it look that's is how it fails . you only need to replace both compliance bushes at both ends and you are done.

What is the technical reasoning he has give to WHY those entire arms need replacing ? the only reason I can give its easier to swap out and their in margin ££ for parts via their source.

5. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire
    Something about if he takes it out, it'll drop right through.. (This was considered a family (ex-inlaws) garage, and have always been pretty good, till now)

Cheers MUCHLY, You've saved me a couple of hundred quid.. I'll give HH a call tomorrow and see if they can get me booked in for early next week.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No worries TBH the bush in that state will be easier to push out and you can push the new one in easily. That is why Honda make that bush as a serviceable item saving money for the customer.:Smile: This garage does want the hassle of pushing these bushes out just wants a quick job in an out !! so it best to confuse the customer with unnecessary science and make some extra ££ . TBH family deals are the worse in my opinion but that is just me.

One top tip I can give anyone to to get the maximum of these bushes never climb kerbs do not park you vehicle on adverse cambers , don't climb kerbs when emergency vehicle come behind you. Park you car on a flat ground and with wheels pointing straight ahead.

My 07 car has done 90 k miles and they are now showing the early signs of wear despite with a A spec suspension, there are no where near that level of wear as per your images. These bushes will last you a life time if you take the care..

7. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire
    Following an e-mailed conversation with Steve at HH, he's in agreement about the Bushes. The parts cost less, but the labour is more than I would have paid, all in all it'll work out cheaper with HH, so once Steve gets back with a date, I can prepare for my trip to Stoke.

Is there anything within walking distance of HH to keep me entertained for the 3 hours.. or is it a case of take Tablet etc etc..

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    HH have free wireless when it works..:Blink:or you have festival park down the road from HH for one retail therapy.

intruder likes this.
  9. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    I'm climbing the kerb to get in & out my driveway on daily basis... :Sobbing: Does it mean my bushes will wear out quick? :Frown: But I always do that slowly, so it would be as soft as possible.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've got no choice but to part on the kerb, although I do have a flatten run up. Ironically, I was just watching some bushes being pressed in for an 8x4 truck today. 34 tonne press was doing it though rather than by hand, made the job a little easier! lol

11. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire
    Well, I had a lovely day out at HH yesterday, Super Excellent level of service from start to finish.

I even got slightly sun-burnt on my little jaunt round Central Forest Park, sitting watching the Ducks for an hour, then a wander round Festival Park and Potteries Shopping Centre.

Need something for your Accord... Don't hesitate, drop HH an email, or give the parts department a call. :Thumbup: :Thumbup:

intruder likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Excellent you saved all that unwanted hassle I will have that pint now please :Drinks:

rhardley likes this.
  13. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire
    I can't believe how much of a difference two £20 bits of rubber make to the handling of the car.

Labour was pricey but -20% made it bearable and you do pay for their Honda expertise.
    Steve did mention the possibility of breaking the Drop Link when replacing the bushes, but no such problems :GoodJob:

:Drinks: in the post.

I'll see if I can get a before and after pic to show their handy work.

14. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    glad to be of service! can i have a pint too?......

15. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire
    All Drinks are behind the bar at The Raven opposite HH.