Off-Topic Suzuki Swift

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nighthawk, Tuesday 30th Aug, 2016.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Anyone got any practical experience with these cars? Wife is looking at getting one next year and its one of the few marques I have never driven.

And please, none of this "but its not a Honda" stuff, those obsessed and blinkered with one brand don't interest me. Anyone know of anyone that has had one, has one, and any associated issues. Would probably go for a 1.6 sport over the 1.2. I am aware that they are also very reliable

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Having worked for Suzuki I am inmate with their engine but these is early 90's they are strong engines not well built as Honda petrol engine but they carry on working with little maintenance.

@Dave partner had one for ages and she loved it, TBH they are cheap and cheerful not particularity sporty or an engaging drive but goes it job better than any euro crap cars.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I have heard nothing but praise for the Swift. My friend's daughter has one in Germnay and he suggested I should try one as found it pretty amazing (He's German and only drives Volvos).

IIRC Tiff Needle when road testing the last gen Swift Sport said "This is what the (new) Mini should have been".

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

Wasnt the response I was expecting from you CJ, but thanks for your input. She only potters around anyway and the only person that ever gives the EP2 a good clean out is me when she lets me drive it.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The swift Sport is a lively grenade that will impress you too for a cheeky weekend blast,

Nighthawk and legend-ary like this.
  6. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The biggest problem with suzuki (cars) I feel is the depreciation. They drop like stones.

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

Most cars do don't they? Newest i would ever buy would be an ex demo.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Their other products don't fare better apart from the collectable and desirable motorcycles.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

By a percentage yes. Suzuki aren't known for holding their money particulary well though

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

This is the exact bad boy Im going to see tomorrow for the missus. 5k on the clock, 2015 model 1.6 sport.

swift.

Allwoods Audio and legend-ary like this.
  12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    No actually first hand experience with them but I am huge fan of the Swift Sport, by all accounts from what I have read they get praised everywhere by reviewers and owners alike. They are supposed to capture the old 80's hot hatch vibe with modern twist, fun to drive, cheeky looks and reliability. I would buy one if I was in the market for a small warm hatch, I think you should go for, Suzuki are a top engineering company.

13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I like Suzuki because no one knows how to build small cars like them (for the budget). I have high praise for them for not getting bullied by VW when they were partners and instead they simply bought off VW shares to end what was simply an unworkable partnership.

Vauxhall Agila was Suzuki Wagon R
    Suzuki Splash became some other Vauxhall
    Nissan Pixo is Suzuki as well

Nighthawk likes this.
  14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Like Honda they also make motorbikes, boat engines, generators, ATV's etc, you got to respect that, they have a top engineering pedigree.

15. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My wife had a ignis sport and loved it. It was basic inside and the ride was too firm for me but it was great for what it was and preformed ok. We only ever needed to pay for services so was very cheap to own and run.
    DriversSide_zpsb53f3270.

exec and Nighthawk like this.
  16. Nighthawk Guest

Missus loves a car to feel planted on the road, its a huge priority for her, so the fact that it appears to do that is a promising sign for her. I guess Il find out tomorrow. Luckily, living in a village means there are plenty of B roads to take a test drive down.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

17. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I found the ignis crap after 60mph as the gears were too short so motorway journeys were very high reving. 4k to 4.5k. The swift should be better hopefully but if its just used for city drivin don't worry. If you do think you'll be using it on a motorway I'd definately take for a run on there to see how it feels.

Nighthawk likes this.
  18. Nighthawk Guest

She doesnt touch motorways and only does low speed roads so hopefully that won't be an issue. Who knows....she may hate it but either way we won't get anything till next year