Fuel Efficiency Sweet as a nut!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ray Ambrose, Friday 5th Jul, 2013.

1. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ray Cambridge
    Am worried. See so many posts about faults with cdti engines. Mine is 2008, no problems, smooth and reliable. 51000 miles. No filter problems. No nothing. Is this the calm before the storm? Have I been lucky?

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    No, you're not lucky, you are just part of the vast majority that does not face the slightest problem with the I-CTDI.
    All is normal.

By the way, what car is yours? Civic or CR-V?

Update:
    Bit confused Ray. Just see your car should be an Accord 2009? There's no I-CTDI in a 2009 Accord. You should have an I-DTEC.
    And if it may help: these are even more reliable.

Last edited: Saturday 6th Jul, 2013
  3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You will face problems with the ICTDI , it's just a matter of when.
    Ray you're probably alright with your relatively low mileage. But with time compared to the petrols you will have more problems.

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    He said his car's a 2008 not a 2009, that makes it an I-CTDI.

Ray as with all forums most posts are about faults, no one ever posts to say my car is fine and I have no issues. So the perception will always be biased. Yes the car does have it's faults. When you compare it to the ultra reliable Honda petrols it may seem a bit fault prone, but compared to any VAG petrol or diesel its faults are few.

I have a 2008 I-CTDI as well as its also running as sweet as a nut. And I don't expect to have any problems with it in the future because I service it regularly and believe in preventative maintenance. Most of the problems have been discussed over the last 2 years and there are some very reasonable alternatives to costly OEM replacements. Unless you have an issue with a timing chain, which you shouldn't on the facelift model, everything known about can be fixed for a couple of hundred quid or less.

5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Doc,
    In his profile => about me: you will find '2009 Accord'.
    But you're absolutely right: modelyear 2008 Accord is always I-CTDI. My mistake on that. Thought that was new Accord I-DTEC already.

6. easyshare450 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi not all 08 are cidt mine is 08 but is idect

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    2008 is when the 8th Generation I-DTEC was first released so a car will either be a 7th Generation I-CTDI or and 8th Generation I-DTEC. The over lap is caused by Honda selling the last of the line 7th gens while releasing the 1st off the line 8th gens. The crossover is purely down to the generation of accord i.e. you won't find a 7th Generation with an I-DTEC engine or vice versa.