Guides Switch Illumination Bulbs

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Sunday 1st Jan, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    During the last four years I have seen the switch illumination bulbs\LEDs gone off on my car twice on separate backlit switches.

One was the driver side heated seat switch and second one the Headlight adjuster button on the right of the steering wheel. On both occasions I order new replacement bulbs for them thinking they will be fused. On receiving the new bulbs it became apparent not all of these bulbs are the same nor do they have the same part number. On further investigation these bulbs have different coloured caps which control the light intensity. To prove the concept these bulbs are not all the same, I got these bulbs attached to a 12 volt supply without the coloured caps. To my amazement these bulbs were emitting lower or higher illumination. So here a tip if you buy the Honda bulbs you will get the even and constant light, If you go for the inexpensive aftermarket bulb replacement retaining the original coloured cap you may not get a evenly lit dashboard. So my suggestion will be use the Honda genuine part.

Coming back to my two switches on removal I found both of the offending bulbs loose in its switch holder. These bulbs have a small flat head incision for them to be turned and locked into place. A common flat head screwdriver will only concentrate on the middle of the bulb and with force being applied the corners of the bulbs will soon start to round off leaving you with a damaged bulb holder. So I measure the length and ground off a flat head screwdriver the entire length of the holder, ensuring a proper contact. The tip is very thin see attached picture below.

Screwed them back, I felt the click on the holder they were locked into place and presto both bulbs are working perfectly. So before replacing these bulbs make sure the contact are good.
    Switch Illumination Bulbs2 .

See attached exploded picture of these bulbs and their Honda genuine part numbers.

Switch Illumination Bulbs.

Item Number Honda Part Number

9-------------------35850-SEA-E11 14V (60MA)
    10-------------------35850-SEA-J01 14v (40MA)
    11------------------ 35850-SEA-J01 14v (40MA)
    12------------------ 35850-SED-003 14v (40MA)
    13------------------ 35851-SEA-E11 14v (40MA)
    14 ------------------35852-SDA-A01 14v (40MA)
    15------------------ 35852-SDA-A11 14v (70MA)

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Brill!!!

I need a replacement for my heated drivers seat switch and this is exactly the info I needed and a top tip!
    Will be giving honda a call later now I have the right part code!

Cheers!

Ichiban likes this.
  4. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Just got the e-bay led ones (T3) in the post today blue and green for replacing the lights in the parking sensor and econ switches. They work well for less money, unless that is you need a brighter bulb in which case back to the parts man (as in items 9 and 15), or if you don't mind the illumination being uneven.

5. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Is the text on the Heated Seats switches meant to be lit? If so I need to get mine re Bulbed!

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes, the centre bulb lights that up.

7. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is there a illumination bulb in the sunroof switch?

8. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Can someone post up some links of where to get these? I need some for the Heated Seat Switches. I will experiment with cheap ones first.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I think they are known as "T4 Type B" bulbs.

10. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I got a pair of replacements from maplin, took them in and they matched them. £1 each. Changed the caps and works good as new! Did we figure if the sunroof button should be lit?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I don't think it is.

12. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    @SpeedyGee, @rinesh

There is a light in the sunroof switch! I recommend getting it replaced, love the look of lit overhead switches :Smile:

DSC_1780.JPG

Heckler and rinesh like this.
  13. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    It looks good when its fixed!

DSC_0895.

Heckler and Nels like this.
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Oooh nice ! I'm sure mine is blown then.

15. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Don't think mine's working either, does it light up without the headlights on?
    Cheers Pete

16. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Yuh comes on with sidelights, even with no ignition.

17. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Thanks mate , need to double check mine over the weekend, switch assembly prises out easy enough I take it?
    Cheers Pete

18. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    @Old Cruiser

To get the assembly out, pop out both of the lamp lenses. Then remove the two bolts next to the bulbs. The assembly will then pull out, disconnect the 3 plugs.

You then have to pop the sunroof switch out of the light assembly, held in the 4 clips. You should then see the switch bulb, as seen in my pic above.

rinesh likes this.
  19. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Thanks mate appreciate it
    Cheers Pete

20. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Mine is blown too, was searching to find out if it was supposed to be lit or not... What type of bulb is it... Because doing a search for T4 Type B is bringing up nothing at all at the moment.