General Switchblade Flip Key

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by harombetus, Thursday 3rd Jul, 2014.

1. harombetus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Beavis Europe, Hungary
    Is it possible to have a switchblade key for the 7th Generation Accord?
    I have a non-FL 2004 diesel sedan.

If yes, how?

2. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    There is a link to some in this thread but the general thinking was not to bother, not sure if you can get some form Honda, bet they'd be pricey though.

3. harombetus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Beavis Europe, Hungary
    Thanks Phil, I was searching the forum for "swichblade" and not "flip key" :Foolish: :Epic Fail: - and did not find anything...
    Now I see there are discussions related to this. Will look through them.

I would like to go forward with the simplest solution though, EG. order a flip case from ebay, transfer the electronics and have the blade cut either in town by a general locksmith or by Honda.
    I don't really care about costs though but of course cheaper is better. One thing is for sure though, I want a flip key.

Bests,
    Beavis

4. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Here's mine:

Key.
    Key3.

I got it off eBay: 3 BUTTON FLIP KEY CASE UPGRADE FOR HONDA ACCORD Civic Jazz HR-V CR-V REMOTE KEY | eBay

It will take you around an hour but this is what I did:

• Remove the electronics (Comes out as one which is handy) and metal key from existing key.
    • Take the key itself, use a vice if you can and file at base on both sides until it fits in holster, be careful don't over do it you want a nice snug / tight fit, otherwise even with the pin it will be slack and wobble.
    • Using the provided pin place the key into the base of the new key and gently tap in, with small pin hammer or better still a watch makers hammer (A bit like taking a watch link out if you've ever done it before) If you do break the pin (Very easily done!) you can potentially use a small nail and cut off and file so it is smooth.
    • Fit all other internals and retention locking mechanism with spring,
    • Screw the plastic case together
    • Done :Smile:
    I also purchased some red Honda stickers, again on eBay easy to find, you could use the existing one from the old Key (Hair Dryer to warm the adhesive) but mine was worn and wanted to give it the Type-R look hehe

Add small clip, to quickly remove the rest of my keys so then you don't have excess strain on the key barrel when your driving around. Also stop your keys banging against your knee, I'm 6ft2
    unfortunately...

Sorted :Wink:

Attached Files:

DeviateDefiant and harombetus like this.
  5. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Oh an its worth mentioning check the battery with a multimeter, or just replace it for peace of mind :Wink:

Good Luck! :Grin:

harombetus likes this.
  6. harombetus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Beavis Europe, Hungary
    Excellent, thank you so much for this info Chrispy!
    I was thinking about ordering this product too - how is the quality of the fob? Is it OK or flimsy?
    How much did you have to file off from the base of the metal key?
    Did the fob have any Honda logo originally?

BTW I have the same clip on my current key for exactly the same reason... :Smile:

7. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    I had to file around 2mm off both sides, but it wasn't much work just had to be careful not to take off to much, just a case of file, try if it fits, file some more, try again, and repeat lol you might have to file the side where the pin slides to keep it in, otherwise you won't be able to get the pin in at all to secure it in place, you can only wait and see when it arrives and you give it a go, but it is really a DIY job :Smile:

Naah the plastic fob was just plain black no sticker, its a bit generic to be honest. It feels solid, the holster the key connects to is chromed so it adds a bit of weight which feels nice and solid, I've dropped it loads of times and its still going strong, the images above are after a year of hard use so you can see how good the condition of the plastic casing still is, no cracks or deep scratches :Smile:

:Drums:

harombetus likes this.
  8. harombetus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Beavis Europe, Hungary
    So I received my empty flip key, and got the blade cut - it was about £8 at a local shop, fits perfectly in ignition and door lock. It was absolutely no problem to get it done.

Now, how did you remove the transponder (the small tube-like thingy) from the old key?
    Mine is glued in and I don't want to break it! Don't know how to access it to be able to take it out. I don't want to ruin the original key.
    And also, did you glue it in the flip key?

Bests,
    Beavis

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I brought the exact same key and case a while back, the blade was far thicker than the stock blade. I ended up abandoning that route altogether in the end. Glad to hear people got it working, props to you,

10. harombetus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Beavis Europe, Hungary
    My blade is also thicker, however the guy who cut it did not have a problem with filing it down to the proper thickness with his machine.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

My locksmith tried it and it looked a mess, the problem he had was that the metal kept warping as he cut it - I remember a lot of cursing about the quality of the material :Laughing:

By the sounds of it, could have just been his level of competence :Whistle:

12. harombetus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Beavis Europe, Hungary
    I managed to get the transponder out (cut the plastic around it which held it in place in 3 places - in a way that it can be restored), put it in the flip key and it is working! I'm very satisfied with the end result, except that the blade is a bit flimsy, will take care of that with some minor mods.
    I will post photos.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    I think I used a hair dryer and then used a screw driver to lift the adhesive, then a little blu-tac in the new case just to stop it from rattling around, and so make it easier if I ever had to remove it another time :Smile:

14. harombetus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Beavis Europe, Hungary
    Done!
    Thanks for all the help Phil, Chris and Leo!

DSC04420.JPG

DSC04426.JPG

DSC04428.JPG

Ichiban and DeviateDefiant like this.
  15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Excellent job Beavis, and nice product photography :Niceone:

16. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Wheeyhey, you'll get so gutted the first time you drop it and scratch that immaculate casing :Wink:

17. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Chrispy How did you take metal blade out of the casing from the old key?? It seems like it's glued inside or something. I unscrewed the top screw but it doesn't want to come off :/

18. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Picture? Mine just popped out once the screw was out :Smile:

19. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Il slap up a detailed guide if you like - did mine a while back

20. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Crispy. Maybe the problem is that it's from Legend, not Accord :/
    @Nighthawk detailed guide would be great :Smile:. Not only for me, but for future generations as well :Wink:.
    Anyway, I'm trying to get that transpoder out for now, which is not easy! I've just poured acetone in (nail varnish remover) and waiting to see what happens :Wink:.

IMG_20150220_203746[1].

SpeedyGee likes this.