Off-Topic Syria air strikes vote on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Monday 30th Nov, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks to Comrade Corbyn this has been strung out and now we have a D day on this !! However I don't want our third Vietnam all those lives lost in vain in the last two causes and we have nothing to show for it.

This has to stop! Why can the Kraut's and Frog's do the dishing out for a change. Why do we have to be like the yanks this is not our monkey anymore.

2. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I don't see the need for us to get involved yet (if at all), it's yet another knee-jerk reaction, needs a lot more thinking about than just sending in bombers. It's just way too complicated now.

Zebster likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  4. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just signed it, they're already well over 100,000

5. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Kash Nelson
    Bang on. Could not have put it better myself. There's good and bad everywhere, the unfortunate thing is the minority of youth that feel secluded are brainwashed by total idiots.

Zebster likes this.
  6. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    I think that it is just the politicians in Government bigging themselves up and being afraid that they will lose whatever influence they feel that they have in World affairs if they fail to make what is a token gesture anyway. Apparently we are talking about deploying just 8 planes! What meaningful impact will that have?

I fail to see how we are "making ourselves safer" (DC's weasel words) as a country by joining in something like this. After all it was the Blair/Bush adventure that really inflamed the whole region in the first place and led to the upsurge in terrorism. All IMHO of course

jimjams and Zebster like this.
  7. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I am gobsmacked that any politician could even think of voting in favour. To vote in favour is a classic case of moronic one-dimensional thinking ....john Wayne "westerns" come to mind.

Zebster likes this.
  8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    There are powerful enough countries in the region to deal with this but they don't seem to be doing so properly despite them most likely being the next imminent targets. Western countries getting involved may only encourage further hatred towards us.

I would rather the funds be spent on our intelligence services to protect our homeland better.

jimjams, Zebster and SpeedyGee like this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good call :Thumbup:

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

jimjams and Zebster like this.
  11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Did bombing ever really fix anything? Every innocent civilian killed by our bombs will be used as propaganda against us.

Fully agree that our intelligence community needs to be doing a better job... Hopefully the recent announcement about them getting greater funding and more staff will provide the necessary improvement.

Not sure how this can be blamed on 'Comrade Corbyn'! If anything, he was prepared to go against the Daily Mail-driven tide of vengeful public opinion and stand against what will be a largely pointless military action.

steve4536 and jimjams like this.
  12. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    A lot of ignorance has been spoken on here, as usual people moaning about the government yet i notice no one giving a better solution and what they would do differently. And when i see people saying sign a petition i have to laugh, and i laugh because at the further ignorance people show when they think a petition would make a difference.

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Is doing something that may not achieve much better than doing nothing that also may not achieve much?

Zebster likes this.
  14. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

what a silly question, ofcourse you are wasting your time, what you think war is? you think they care about you signing an inline petition, how many people signed the petition to not go into iraq? waste of time.

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The war is going to happen because the establishment is full of war mongering right wing neo cons. You only need to look at the thinktanks and lobbies who heavily influence foreign policy and are groups who profit from war. Cameron is just wanting to continue Blair's legacy of bombing everything, as he once said his the natural heir to Blair, I bet Blair also had a whisper to his ear and told him to go into Syria, that meglomaniac loves bombing every place he eyes and goes around branding himself as a peace envoy!

Expect Britain to become a bigger target after this, just pray nothing happens.

SpeedyGee and jimjams like this.
  16. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Extraordinary claims can be easily dismissed, unless ofcourse you have some overwhelming evidence to back yourself up with?

17. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    What part is extraordinary? Don't you follow politics?

18. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i wouldn't say i follow politics no, i im not a politically minded person at all. the insinuation in asking me this is to say that my opinion or even right to one is somehow invalid or not to be taken as seriously as yours or other people who do follow politics. I personally don't care if anyone follows a particular topic to the same extent of me because thats how people learn by discussing things and then changing or not changing their minds and seeing other points of views on things which leads to having a more open minded approach when talking to someone else about the topic.

Now to answer your next question, you know which parts of your post are extraordinary but i think your too embarrassed to say but don't worry i will point them out to you,

"thinktanks and lobbies who heavily influence foreign policy and are groups who profit from war"

"Blair also had a whisper to his ear and told him to go into Syria"

19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You need to read this about petitions (it is a government website btw) How petitions work

Regarding a better solution, there are plenty of alternatives being discussed in the media. Dropping bombs, even though they are extremely accurate, is no solution on its own.

If we had had this technology available in the 1970's and 1980's, would you have advocated that it be used on houses in Northern Ireland where active IRA people were living ? and then what about the thousands of IRA sympathisers, should we then have targetted them too, in case they became active ? and what about the Irish Republic, should we have then bombed a neighbouring country that was also involved ? and then there was the USA, should we have flown bombers over to the USA and bombed IRA fund-raising events that were going on over there (and not being stopped by the USA politicians) ?

If you don't understand that analogy, then you don't understand what is happening in Syria. The Middle East is a highly complex tribal area, where the police are mostly illiterate (I've been to several countries in the Middle East, that's how I know). It is a mess that was artificially created by us and the French when we divided the area up after the First World War, and now it is fragmenting.
    - - - Updated - - -

"thinktanks and lobbies who heavily influence foreign policy and are groups who profit from war"

if you don't follow politics then you don't know how true that statement is. That is how politics has always worked, I remember being told this in History lessons at school (in the 1960's no less). Not in that way as such, but I remember that we studied some parts of late 18th century history of this countr and it was clear that politicians made decisions based on the influence of corporations in this country at the time (e.g. the breweries and the mine-owners). Nothing has actually changed, it is still the same, politics per se is "corrupt" because politicians are heavily influenced by corporate power. And yes, that includes weapons manufacturers, who make a lot of money out of war.

Zebster and exec like this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I'm not sure what your point is in the first paragraph as it's not very coherent, but for someone who says they don't follow politics, your not in a position to call others ignorant who mock, you shouldn't speak about something in a grande manner if you don't know much about that topic, basic rule in life.

As for thinktanks and lobbies, yes this is well known and well established fact, this is how politics works, you have lobby groups lobbying politicians for x.y,z and you also have thinktanks who work side by side and sometimes 'employed' by parties to help them in such and such ways. The current Tory ruling party foreign policy is heavily influenced by a right wing neo con think tank called Henry Jackson Society, look them up.

As for Tony Blair comment that wasn't a statement of fact, hence why it started with "I bet", Blair has advised Cameron on quite a few things including telling him to go and bomb Libya few years back, so wouldn't surprise me if he has been lobbying for Syria to be bombed too.

Hit the nail on the head, it started then in a brutal manner, was all kept in order in a brutal way and now its all exploding in a brutal way. Violence will always beget violence.

jimjams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.