ICE & HFT System cannot define vehicle position

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Paul_The_Human, Thursday 21st Mar, 2013.

1. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I have just retrofitted a full sat nav system into my car. All is working fine except when I want to use the sat nav. The map loads up fine but when I want set a location it comes up with the error " System cannot define vehicle position, Please drive for a while". I've checked the GPS signal and that is all fine, I've tried re downloading it from hidden menu screen, I've also done a system reset from that scree aswell yet NOTHING seems to work. Please someone help me before I put a hammer through it lol. Cheers, Paul

2. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi, Might be a stupid answer so don't shoot me, but perhaps what its telling you is what you need to do. Since its a fresh install perhaps the system needs to "calibrate" itself and it can only do this by being switched on for a period of time or driving for a while. I am guessing it needs to lock onto the signals and detemrine where it is based on its dvd data base etc.

I'm not an expert but just a bit of a guess...

3. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nah that does make total sense, I have been for a little drive with it, prob bout 15 mins to try exactly that yet it still doesn't want to work. Shouldn't take longer than that I wouldn't have thought? could be wrong and hope it is that as that would make my life so much easier!! failing that do you have any other ideas?

4. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mm would have thought 15 mins was enough, mind you on a cloudy day it might take longer, does it tell you how many satellites it is located? They usually need around 5 or 6 to get an accurate position. if its only getting a couple it might be causing the issue? other than that then I can't think of another reason sorry.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Paul,

Welcome to AOC http://hondakarma.com/threads/1236/

did you retro fit a prefacelift unit and do i take your car did not have sat nav in it and your is a sports I-CTDI?

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  6. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey, and thankyou :Smile:
    my car is a 2005 executive I-CDTI but did not have sat nav in it. Everything works from the install, just won't locate the car for some reason. The GPS signal is showing good coverage etc.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think I read something somewhere about a vehicle speed signal going into the sat nav unit. But why on earth would it need that as it should be able to derive that from the GPS sentences.

Have a look into it anyway. In the meantime if I manage to recall where I read that I'll let you know.

BTW Paul, why don't you pop over to the "Introduce yourself" section and say a few words about yourself and your car, it helps us to get to know you better :Smile: :Thumbup:

8. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

See thats quite interesting as there were a few wires I couldn't see where to connect anything, and its wierd cos it can locate my car just can't follow it. Think I'm deff gonna look into it, and if that's it ur my new best mate lol
    Ah I did not know about that forum, only really been on here since this morning and done it all from my phone so its not that easy to read or navigate from lol ill go do that now though, cheers mate

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Thinking out loud here had another thought, did you plug the radio aerial in. This is needed to set the time, tune into an RDS radio station (like Radio 1). The sat nav may have some logic in it which checks the time in the sentences with the actual time set.

10. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah done that bit unfortunately, there are two I plugged in, a big one which is for the radio and a little one for the traffic thing I think it is?? I'm deff gonna look into the speed pulse wire though. That sounds pretty logical in a weird kind of way seeing as the GPS shouldn't need that like u said lol

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Double check your clock is set and make sure you have good radio reception dude.

12. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah they are both working fine, its weird because they both updated themselves to the correct time and stations! Which means the car is deft getting s GPS signal and radio signal. I'm really wondering if it I something to do with the speed pulse site thing, seems to make more sense each time I think about it. Any one happen to know what colour it might be?

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Last edited: Friday 22nd Mar, 2013
    legend-ary likes this.
  14. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok you are an absolute legend!! Ill be trying this tomo as that guy says exactly what mine is doing bar the alternator bit! I honestly think you have just hit the nail on the head! If your vet in hastings give us a shout and ill buy you a pint!!
    Cheers dude! Actually looking forward to getting home tomo and messing about with it all again!

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Your welcome, hope it does the trick for you.

And thanks for the offer but I don't actually drink, Im teetotal :Smile:

In case that thread disappears I'm recording the rather useful info here :-

If the screen shuts down after 5 minutes its due to the 'Alternator' or 'Charge' wire not being connected. The unit thinks the engine was off hence the shutdown. By connecting this to the 12v supply that comes on with the ignition this solves the issue.

Also need to connect the VSS (Speed Pulse) without this the Sat Nav ... next question is where do you get this from.

Looks like if you have cruise control (which in this case you do)
    look for a Blue/white wire on the cruise control module.

And if
    you don't have cruise control it's white/green at the PCM. The VSS is in connector A (31 pins), pin 18.

Wire colours and pin numbers will need to be verified.

CJ, can you help out with this ?

16. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah well a bottle of water is a cheaper anyway ;-) and cheers for copying it for me mate! Now I know what I'm looking for I rekon I should be able to sort it, do you know anything about if the reverse wire needs to be connected? I'm gona sleep now as just realised how late it is and I got work at six in the morn :-( ill keep ya posted on the sat nav as ill do it tomo when I finish work, cheers again mate!! So glad I joined s forum where people know a thing or two about the main forum subjects for a change!!

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Speedy what am I looking for exactly I haven't read the entire thread .. just lazy as its too late.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Essentially CJ, Paul (whose actually human :Wink:) needs to find a speed signal and connect it to the sat nav system.

So we need the following info CJ :-

1) Location of the Cruise Control Module

2) VSS (Speed signal) pin on the cruise control module

3) Which connector and pin on the Sat Nav system needs the VSS input

Last edited: Friday 22nd Mar, 2013
  19. Paul_The_Human Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have to tell myself I'm humans as sometimes I wonder!! I figure if I have it in my name its always a good little reminder lol
    If CJ can help me with those wires I'd be so grateful, might even mean I can go for a random drive with a random set destination on the sat nav over the weekend! Only had the car 2 weeks so would like to take it for a nice cruise!

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've had a thought Paul ... and you may not like it.

I'm not one to let something unexplained get by me, so I was pondering on why the Sat Nav system would need a speed input, I came to the conclusion that it relies more on this than it does on the GPS sentences.
    In addition to the vehicle speed signal I have a feeling that its going to also need the yaw rate signal to tell it how quick the car is turning.

Let's see what info CJ can dig up.