Electrical & Lights System Check Ignition Coil blink

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by wahabishtiaq, Tuesday 4th Oct, 2016.

1. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Wahab Ish hemel hempstead
    Hi All,

Hope you are well.

Today i did MAF sensor clean with change of engine cover bracket (attached to swirl valve) Also had LED W21 rear tail lights changed to LED's. After i re assemble everything and restarted the car ignition coil sign starts blinking on dash board along with EML sign on MPG screen with Exclamation. However the actual EML above RPM is not on. I took car fro a drive test and no obvious sign of missing or hesitation, also during this drive the ignition coil light was blinking on dash board.

Any ideas what could have gone wrong, or any issues due to the work i completed. I will get this code checked on Snap on but obviously any advice or knowledge will help to preempt the issue.

Many Thanks

2. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Do you mean the glow plug light?

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Assuming that you mean the glow plug symbol, then that could be an indication of low fuel rail pressure (DTCs P0087 and/or P1065 would support this).

But if you can put on snap-on diagnostics then you'll be able to tell us!

4. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes Sam its the glow plug light.... and its flashing
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks Zebster, yes its glow plug symbol. I am confused why the rail pressure and fuel pressure be flashing as error codes as i didn't do anything obvious with them? Or you think i did disturb anything near those areas? I will take it to check codes tomorrow...

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It is an oddity of the I-CTDI (perhaps the I-DTEC as well?) that the glowplug indicator does also come on when the engine is running whenever the fuel rail pressure dips unexpectedly, usually because a non-OEM or clogged fuel filter is present. I have no idea why this functionality has been incorporated!

I agree that nothing you've mentioned should have caused a fuel pressure problem though, and maybe that's a red herring. When I last cleaned my MAF sensor I didn't have this happen, although I didn't think it ran well for a day or so.

It'll be really interesting to see what the diagnostics finds tomorrow... Maybe nothing! But please let us know...

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    A bit of a tangent but 8th Generation Civics are very fussy when it comes to LED brake bulbs. People report allsort of weird behaviour from dash lights so I'm thinking maybe it's the same with yours. Try swapping them to regular bulbs and see if the flashes go away

7. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah i think that LED could have some intervention to the error code. Will check it on snap on and will update you guys...

8. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok guys, first of all thanks for your advise and knowledge sharing...

Yes it all sorted and culprit was error causing LED's.... So soon i removed them and restarted the car and blink went away after 5 mins.. So lesson learnt always buy error free canbus LED's....

Cheers guys..

legend-ary and Zebster like this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Good to know :Smile:

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Just my two pence. But perhaps the ignition was on at some point with the MAF sensor disconnected or any other under the bonnet? After enough cycles of the ignition with the connectors re-connected some faults will become a temporary DTC and turn the MIL off. A code reader will tell all.

11. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks beefy for your input, I consciously disconnected battery to stop all this hastle. You reckon this wouldn't help to eradicate any possibility of throwing DTC?