Electrical & Lights Tailgate Problems on my 03 plate Accord Vtec Exec

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by portburns, Tuesday 30th Oct, 2012.

1. portburns Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have joined as I am having problems with my tailgate on my 03 plate Accord VTEC Exec. The tailgate light remains ON in the dash and the tailgate can only be opened by using the mechanical switch from the inside. Really inconvenient especially when it happened 2 days before we went on holiday, luckily I have a 10 year old son who was able to squeeze through the luggage and open it at the airport. I have taken the car to my local dealership and had them run a diagnostic check, the result of this is as follows - Checked and confirmed tailgate not operating , checked fuses all ok, checked for codes, found several fault codes stored, stripped to inspect at roof moulding, confirmed wires broken at motor at hinge area , requires replacement wiring harness £503 inc vat or possible wiring repair £343 inc vat cannot guarantee the wiring repair will fix problem.
    I am stuck in a bit of a dilema as the cheaper fix cannot be guaranteed and I have been told that the new wiring loom to complete the more expensive fix is not available at the moment. I am an electrician to trade ( sadly not an auto electrician ) so was thinking about giving it a go myself, but I am a little hesitant incase I damage any of the internal panels that a required to be removed to access the problem or cause further damage to this loom EG lights etc. Can anyone please provide me with any of the following information or any useful web pages to help me -
    circuit diagrams of the wiring harness.
    any guides of how to access internal panels.
    any other guides or advice that could be of help to fix this problem.

Your help would be much appreciated
    Cheers

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The question which needs to be answered why were the wires broken at motor at hinge area? that would equate they have been moved in it life did this car have a rear end shunt they won't just break provided they have been routed incorrectly.

Do you have any record for this? If the wire is damaged try repairing it first before spending more money.Wires are colour coded so finding the other ends won't be difficult.

PS you do have a external handle to open the tailgate from outside , save your son getting in to open it. look above the rear number plate you will find the handle.

3. portburns Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have no record of a rearend shunt previous to me owning the vehicle and I have had no accidents while owning it. The dealership tech seemed to reckon that the wiring harness sometimes tightens through time by continual hinge movement and maybe by cold weather constricting the cables. What concerns me most is that I damage the internal panels gaining access and that they will not go back on securely. The tech on quick inspection found one broken cable but says there may be more damaged, I am not sure if he knows this by the error codes that he found or if he has previous experience of this problem. Hence circuit diagrams could be of some help to enable me to check continuity of cables.
    I know that there is an external handle but it is not working. Is this not an electronic handle rather than mechanical ?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes my bad didnt expect that to be knocked out as it on a separate feed ..

5. portburns Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When you say seperated feed do you mean seperated power supply ?
    Which could indicate more than one cable core damaged.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup they are on separate power supplies.

7. portburns Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

any idea where i would find a schematic wiring diagram for the tailgate system?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Check your personal messages

9. portburns Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I have managed to locate a damaged wire ( blue with red stripe) at the tailgate hinge area and I have temporary joined it again, there appears to be no other damage to the wires in this loom and hopefully no other damaged looms elsewhere. The dash tailgate light still remains on and no luck fixing it so far. Can you tell me what fuses are for the tailgate please and do I need to disconnect the battery for 5 mins to reset the ECU as I have read this in other comments on here.

Cheers

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Disconnect the battery for five minutes that will reset the tailgate ECU

11. portburns Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

One wire broken at hinge and repaired, then disconnect battery for 5 minutes and reconnect to reset ECU, jobe done and I wouldn't say I was great with cars. Would have been easiest £350 dealership would ever make. Thank you so much for your assistance. I hope someone else can save themselves a few quid by using this thread in the future.

Great Site
    Cheers

DrSam and Ichiban like this.
  12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    you will find this problem can be quite common with power tailgates on Accords that have had a fair bit of use, EG if opening very regularily throughout there life. the wire loom moves with the hindge and can eventualy stress the wires enough for a wire to break.

13. Problems with my electric tail gate :-(

Hi all

I'm Scott

i thought id say hello at the same time as asking a general question, can anybody give me any advice on my 05 plate Tourer :-( my tailgate is driving me insane, i reset the system by pulling the battery, and it works fine for a while (sometimes) and then tailgate light and sod all assess to the boot :Angry: any help would be much appreciated

14. clive New Member Getting Started

Power Tialgate Not working

Hi New member here. I have a 2005 Accord Tourer and the power tailgate is not working. It failed 2 days ago for the first time. I did a reset and it worked fine for the last couple of days. Today there appears no power to the tailgate at all. Can anyone tell me the location of the fuses for the tailgate before I satart looking for broken wires as the handbooks don't appear to have this info. I have code read the car and a fault code of b1380 is showing with a description of tailgate closer unit neutral switch malfunction. any help would be much appreciated.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Power Tialgate Not working

Hi Clive the B130 is error code for the outer tailgate door handle swicth, make sure you can open the tailgate via the handle.

Faulty open switch if you can remove the code and do a tailgate ECU reset and try ..it doesnt remove you will have to replace the tailgate closer unit.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Problems with my electric tail gate :-(

Scott any error codes try resetting the ECU by leaving the battery terminals for a longer duration.