Electrical & Lights Tailgate won't open (but now it does)

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Nick Allen, Sunday 16th Dec, 2012.

1. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tailgate won't open (but now it does) now it doesnt

Hi all, had a bit an issues the past few days, I couldn't open the tailgate, also noticed that a few days ago the indicators only flashed three times when locking (not the normal 5)and eventually wouldn't flash at all, although the doors would lock. Tried using the other fob and the key, read the bit in the manual about super locking. Was resigned to taking it to the dealer and then suddenly this morning it all started working again.

Can anyone suggest any maintenance I should do to the rear lock mechanism or checks, there was nothing trapped in the tail gate and there was lubrication around the hook mechanism.

Or has anyone seen this before?

Last edited: Saturday 22nd Dec, 2012
  2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When you double-press the lock (super lock etc), the indicators only flash three times, not five.

Also, when you say you couldn't open the boot lid, was that solely via the key fob or the actual lid itself (as your post doesnt state this)?

If its the fob, replace the battery. can't say I have ever seen anyone experience this to be honest, certainly not on an 8th Genner.

3. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

couldn't open the boot lid with either the key then from the switch on the drivers door or either of the fobs. just been out and back the lights only flashed three times when I locked it. unlocked it and checked the boot to see if I could open and I could. Locked it again and only three flashes.

Thanks for the info re three flashes didn't know that.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good thats its working. I just wonder whether it may have been an electrical anomaly, much in the way some members have had their parking sensors activate in the rain or for no reason etc in other threads.

5. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I haven't washed it for a few weeks, perhaps that was its way of complaining.. nice and shiny now, I will monitor it and report back if it happens again.

6. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

problem is back, no indicators flash when opening or closing doors and the tailgate won't open, booked in at Lookers Honda Saturday.. :Aghast:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    does your front passenger window work ? have a look at this thread as it baffled me initially but after a replacement switch it worked flawlessly.

http://hondakarma.com/threads/641/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  8. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Surprise surprise, the passenger window switch does NOT work, I will give Lookers Honda a call in the morning. so they can get the part in..

thanks for info..

Ichiban likes this.
  9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I suspect you have a dodgy car battery dude. Either that or, horror of horrors, could well be your alternator.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It could be simple lose connection or it a duff switch. You haven't spilt anything on it have you?

11. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

nothing spilt on it since I have owned it..

12. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thinking about this, there was a slight rattle that I heard the day, assumed it was somthing in the glove box as it wa full of phone chargers and other bits, but the rattle has gone now.. Does the whole interior door panel have to come off to get at the window switch?

13. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hope you sort it Nick. I have a similar Tourer to yours.

The travel on the boot latch on mine seems very short, I wondering if it needs a blast of WD40 to clean out the road dirt? Still works Ok though.

The tailgate hinges creak a bit when opening, does anyone know how to lubricate as the plastic trim seem to prevent access?

14. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dealer has confirmed its the front passenger door switch, despite me telling them that is the most likely cause, they didn't order one in, but i didn't expect them to.
    So no access to the boot via the tailgate over Christmas and New Year, quite an inconvenience. booked back in for the 5th £164 fitted..

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nick any feedback has the dealer resolved this issue?

16. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dealer has replaced the front passenger window switch, car is out of warranty, cost me £165..

all working smoothly now..

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds