Off-Topic Talk Talk

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by FirstHonda, Friday 2nd Jan, 2015.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

So, I've been with SKY for my television for years, but last year moved my broadband from SKY to BT as I got a deal.

My contract with BT is up in February, and I'm looking at options for TV, broadband & calls. I don't want movies, but do want SKY Sports and don't need fibre broadband for what I use the internet for.

On the comparison sites, Talk Talk come up as the cheapest by some margin - I'd pay almost HALF as much as I do now for everything, albeit SKY Sports wouldn't be in HD (not sure I care).

I've read some customer service horror stories about TT - anybody here got any experience?

BTW, should add I've always found SKY pretty hard to deal with, never been that impressed with their service and they've never offered me a deal to stay - but BT have been excellent. Neither can match the TT deal on price though...

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Hate that company and would never give them my business. I was on their site once checking out prices and that started a 3 month tirade of marketing calls, only when I emailed their ceo did the calls stop. Bastards.

Plusnet are pretty decent, owned by bt.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Pity, but I guess it is a case of "you get what you pay for."

Plusnet do have some keen prices for broadband, but I was trying to get everything in the same place to keep it simple.

I'll probably have to swallow hard and put up with SKY's customer "service" and prices, but at least I'll save a bit as they are keen for me to add broadband back onto my total package. I would go with BT, but they can't offer SKY Sports, shame.

Thanks!

5. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Interesting. I'm in similar situation with Virgin and have been looking at options.

Also heard some negative comments about Talk Talk.

Is it not possible or financially viable to get a new BT deal - hopefully a good one if you threaten to leave for Talk Talk - and get Sky Sports on some sort of one off payment set top box/freeview thing?

Not even sure if that's possible. Just a thought.

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That's actually been really useful. I thought you couldn't get Sky Sports on BT, but they started doing Sports 1 & 2 in December 2014.

More investigation required, now - good stuff!

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've heard nothing but bad things about Talk Talk especially if you try and leave them.

Virgin have been excellent for me, very fast internet. I prefer On Demand to Sky's box office also.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Virgin can't offer me anything, as I'm not in a Virgin Media area.

Pity...

9. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    I was with Aol for years but they were taken over by talk talk. Last December 23rd I lost my internet. I rang up and the american chap said yes that will be a problem at BT end we will get them to sort it. Three weeks later when I still had no internet I rang again this time got an Indian he said they cancelled BT because it was not that, now he said it is your router we will send a new one. Got that and surprise surprise still the same two more calls later they agreed to send their engineer he came and found it was outside of the house and arranged BT to come. No one came from BT so I rang again and found they had cancelled the appointment again. It was now the half way through February and I decided to cancel and go with BT. Once I switched to BT they found a broken port in the exchange.

I have since heard a chap that works for me had similar problems they never fixed his internet either and he had to change providers.

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll just echo what others said, stay away from talk talk.
    Utterly useless and not bothered with customer satisfaction.

I had 02 for few years and was impressed with their broadband and customer service but sadly they were taken over by Sky and out of principle I decided to cancel (hate Sky with passion)

11. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    As far as TV is concerned, you can't beat Sky. After you've used Sky TV, using any other interface (Virgin Media, BT, Talk Talk/YouView) is just a horrible TV experience. Sky can do some great deals as well if you get through to their cancellation/customer retention team.

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I've been with (Tiscali) Talk Talk since 2004 or so. Although I've never had one outage in all that time, they put my bill up 30% in December there so I'm off to Plusnet

13. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    You should never have it pay full price for HD on sky, I've had it free for 6 months and half price several times. Just ask to downgrade your HD package.

14. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    I used to have it permanently free.

Now that I'm living with my mate, we have absolutely everything including sports and movies, 3x multiroom, 90mb fibre and phone, they throw so many discounts in when you push them enough.

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Been with TalkTalk since they launched free broadband back in 06 and left in 11 when we moved house. The internet wasn't the most stable but it was easily the best value package out there. Stuff like the router were garbage but most ISP routers are (except BT HomeHubs). Since 11 I've been with Sky who kept on jacking up the prices so we moved to PlusNet which has been the best by far. Solid connection with very few cut outs. In all cases it was a phone+broadband package.

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I hear this a lot, but it doesn't work round here. SKY just let customers leave with no offers - just like when I moved my broadband, and when I left SKY TV previously a few years ago. Two of my family cancelled the whole lot expecting an offer, but got nothing!

The exception seems to be the people who live where you can get Virgin on cable - one of my friends got deal after deal on SKY for years, but when he moved out of a Virgin area, they just let him leave. When he tried to go back 6 months later, they wouldn't offer any new customer deals either, told him he'd have to wait a minimum of 12 months.

I tried their cancellation team this morning, just out of curiosity - told them I was off to Talk Talk. All they asked was for an agreed termination date, and told me to make sure I cancel my own direct debit.

I really hate SKY, so am going to look for any other option - BT most likely.

17. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    You often have to go through with the cancellation, then they call you a couple of days after trying to get you to stay. Bit of a gamble though if you don't actually want to cancel.

18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Yes, that was how the other members of my family did it. They cancelled, but got no call back so ended up having to leave.

One is now happily with FreeSat, the other happily with BT. Not sure they'd go back to SKY now...but they don't bother with the sport.

EDIT - right, that's the cancellation done. Let's see if I get a call back...I'm not holding my breath, but have a deal from BT (not a stellar one, but will save me about £200 per year) ready to go.

EDIT2 - Well, that's everything with SKY - calls, broadband and TV (which continues). I'll be paying half of what I'm paying now - just goes to show what a bit of competition does! I wasn't expecting to get a deal based on previous experience, but it looks like a year with BT had an effect.

Thanks all...I'm very happy with that.

Last edited: Monday 5th Jan, 2015
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    IIRC Virgin can provided broadband even on BT lines, so in essence you don't have to be in cable area for their service. They provide ADSL over the existing BT kit.

20. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    I tried Virgin when I changed and they said they could not supply in my area I assume they are concentrating on their cable customers.