Pre-Purchase Talk to me about diesel CR-Vs

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by excel monkey, Tuesday 20th Jan, 2015.

1. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    Two years ago, I bought a cheap high mileage 2004 CR-V as a second car, to do stuff that our 2WD Audi A4 Avant couldn't do (carry bulky items, stay mobile in the snow, seat three adults across the back). The car - a 2.0L petrol base model - has been great in the time we have owned it, and has made such an impression on my Audi-fangirl wife that she wants to replace the Audi with a 4th Generation CR-V.

We are considering both petrol and diesel models, and most reviews suggest that the diesel engines (both the 1.6 and 2.2) suit the car better than the petrol engine. Are there any known issues with these engines? I haven't paid that much attention to Honda in recent years, but was aware that the early iterations of the 2.2 I-DTEC engines were plagued by problems including DMF failure, excessive oil consumption etc. Have these problems been ironed out? What about the 1.6 - as a new engine, have there been any issues with this one?

Not interested in purchase cost or running cost discussions - just want to hear about reliability (or lack of).

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I would concur on the diesel variants being better suited for a CR-V, that low-down torque helps get the heavy chassis of the mark. Where reliability is concerned, certainly the petrols are king - though the 2.2 I-DTEC has no major issues whatsoever aside from DPF issues mostly seen on the earlier models, of course, every manufacturer suffers from this to some degree.

The thing is with the 1.6 I-DTEC, they simply haven't been on the road for long enough to draw conclusions on reliability. I can tell you that there isn't any known major issues at the moment, but it's only really a few years down the line that we'll start to see how they hold-up. As for the newer 1.6 to come, obviously it's too early to know at all.

I would personally trust in the fact that an I-DTEC won't bite you in the arse, but only the old 2.2 I-DTEC has been about for long enough to speak with true authority in that regard.

3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Fully agree with DeviateDefiant: if your number one on the short list is 'reliability' => go for the petrol engine.
    Sure, the diesel engines are a better match in the CR-V.
    I drove the 4th Generation CR-V with the petrol engine and it can not be compared with the driving pleasure of the same engine in my Accord (air resistance and weight...you know). On the other hand: one of my friends parents did buy the new 4th Generation with the 2.0 petrol engine and they are very very pleased with it.
    Also: don't forget that reliability with modern diesel engines is very strongly related with the type of driving cycles. If you regularly hit the highway with a descent speed (no traffic jams), then modern diesels are also very reliable (it all comes down on the DPF).

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    as much as people keep bringing the problem of DPF's up, I can safely say CR-V's don't suffer many problems at all with them. I think I have done a re-gen on one that came in with a light on. only recently has there been a known recall updating the DPF software. hardly a problem is it? oil consumption is very good on the whole. only known fault with the I-DTEC is a cracked EGR pipe which sounds like a chuffing noise. its not common but I have replaced a couple. it was more of a problem on the accord of that year. most will have been replaced by now.

all in all the diesel I-DTEC CR-V is a very reliable and capable motor and if your driving style and usage benefits a diesel rather than petrol go for the diesel. its a heavy car and will always seem a little underpowered in the petrol variant, not to menchon fuel consumption is quite high. but if its town driving you do ide sway for the petrol, if you rack up the miles or lug around a lot of stuff go for the diesel. just don't let the so called horror stories put you off the correct decision for your self.

5. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    Thanks for the responses. Appreciate it is early days for the 1.6 I-DTEC. Will go away and do some test drives - I suspect the 2.2 will suit us better, as we are used to a turbo petrol in our A4. Probably looking at ex-demo or pre-reg cars - not fussed about paying extra for the 2015 facelift model.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've got the same 2.2 I-DTEC in my 2012 Accord, and have had nearly 50k trouble free miles.

From what I've read, I think as long as the car gets regular long(ish) runs, and on time servicing with the correct grade of oil, then the DPF doesn't seem to present any issues.

A glance through a few forums for other makes (Nissan, Audi, VW, Kia) suggests that other marques have just as many DPF "issues" - although in a lot of cases I'd suggest the usage of the cars is having an impact, with some users trying to use a diesel for short trips and urban use, where a petrol would have been more suitable. It also seems like most manufacturers have made changes to make the DPF systems more reliable than they may have been just a few years ago.

Interesting comment on oil consumption. I check and top up my oil very regularly, and tend to use about one 1ltr of top up between services, which is c10-12k miles as I am on the usage based service system. My previous VW 2.0TDi used (about) 2ltr of top up, but that was over an 18k mile service schedule, so about the same. I don't think I've ever had to top up the oil between services in my petrol MINI Cooper in over 10 years of ownership (and other petrol cars in the past were the same), so extra oil use feels to me like a standard diesel trait.

Both of my diesel cars used more oil in the first 5k miles, but I understand that is entirely normal.

Personally I'd drive the 2.0 ltr i-VTEC petrol as well as the 2.2 I-DTEC diesel. My sister bought a 2013 CR-V last year, and expected to replace an Audi diesel with a Honda diesel, but ended up going petrol after a test drive. It is a very smooth engine, not the fastest, but they feel plenty fast enough for regular motorway trips - and they are (anecdotally) getting early to mid-30s MPG.

Hope that helps :Smile:

7. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The key to a healthy Diesel engine is proper usage and regular maintenance along with buying quality fuel where possible.
    Oils and filters changed regularly will ensure the engine runs sweet. I am servicing my 2.2 I-DTEC CR-V every 6k, sounds excessive but I hope to have zero DPF down the line as I tend to hold onto this car for some time. Down to personal choice and doing plenty of reading about Diesel engines talking to mechanics

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I do a small service every 6k miles also and I don't have a DPF. Not much effort and coin to ensure a healthy engine really.

nsxer likes this.
  9. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    Thanks for the comments. Agree that a small amount of oil consumption is no big deal in modern engines, and it's not confined to diesels. The 2.0T petrol in our Audi has taken a litre of oil in the last 15k miles, which is within tolerances.

I'm not sure how 6k oil change intervals help the DPF, but glad it's working out well for you guys.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I've stayed with the Honda "recommended" service schedule, as defined by the SvRS system. That has meant my Accord has been serviced at 10 - 12k mile intervals, and I've had no issues so far with the DPF (or anything else for that matter :Smile:).

11. crvgen4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    +1 for the petrol version here.

We purchased a 2013 CR-V petrol auto to replace a one year old 8,000 mile Mazda6 Skyactiv diesel that had suffered from serious oil contamination issue, due to numerous failed DPF re-generations (most likely due to driving style)

I was concerned that the CR-V's lack of power and seemingly lackluster performance with the autobox would be an issue, but in 7,000 miles of daily use since mid July, it's been excellent. It does need a good prod on the accelerator get going, but passing other cars, motorway driving and general day to day use, it's been great.
    Plus, zero worries about DPF / regen / biodiesel contamination / enhanced servicing.

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    As others have said, it depends totally on the type of driving you do. Since March 2014 I've covered just in excess of just over 19500 miles in my 2.2 I-DTEC deisel. Tried the petrol auto but it had no guts compared to the deisel auto. At the end of the day the decision is yours!

crvgen4 likes this.
  13. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

A well serviced and maintained engine is a bonus to all aspects of the engine ... Surely?
    Anyways I am happy to do it and take on board the advice I have been given to ensure I keep my CR-V in the condition I need it to be in for the long haul

14. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    Thanks for all your input. Drove both, and put down a deposit at the weekend for a 2013 diesel.

nsxer and FirstHonda like this.
  15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Congratulations hope it all works out well!

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

17. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    I hope so too.

I've had all manner of Hondas and other Jap cars in the past, most of them old and cheap. This car will be mostly driven by my wife, coming from a very nice 2.0T A4 estate, and following a long line of BMWs and Audis before that. Don't f**k it up Honda - this is your chance to convert her into a long term customer!

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Aha, well you can rest assured there's nothing in the way of big massive issues with the 4th Generation, just make sure it's got the latest ECU updates which patch up some map issues with the AWD system (this is only on customer complaint, so make sure to bring it up and ask them to do it if it hasn't already had it).

19. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hopefully the H badge will do your family proud. Great to see you giving it a chance at least.
    Look forward to reading about the vehicle of choice
    Best of luck with it

20. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    Now I just need to get rid of my old 2nd Generation CR-V, before leaping into the murky world of cheap EK and EP Civics to replace it...