General Talking about wheels?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by John Hamer, Thursday 3rd Sep, 2015.

1. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    I just bought a set of 18" sigmas thinking they would Jazz up my 8th Generation tourer, being ignorant on such matters I expected them to "fill" out the wheel arches, how wrong can you get?
    I have no complaint with the seller, they were a good buy and the tyres alone would cost the whole of the purchase I made, but the fitment looks weird and the ride is a lot harsher.
    So they are now residing in the garage and the standard 17" rims are back on.
    I am informed that low profiles will wear out pretty quickly, so when I need new boots I may refit them and run them out as well then look to getting a larger section tyre.
  2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm sure they would only fill out the arches if the profile of the tyre isn't changed also otherwise you are just increasing one diameter only to reduce another!
    Bones126 and i-DSI like this.
  3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    100% correct. The actual difference between 16, 17 and 18 inch wheels is minor. I have 16 and 18 (winter/summer) and there's hardly any difference when talking about 'filling up' the wheel arches. And that's normal. If it would be different, the speedometer would need adjustment.
    But I must say the 18 inches I have (Delta's, also original Honda) are not 'harsh' at all. Might be due to the tyres fitted? I have Yokohama Advan Sport V103. Will most likely buy them again when they're gone. By the way: they don't wear that fast.
    Love those Sigma's! Nothing weird asking me.
    @John Hamer : what tyre size is fitted on the Sigma's? Should be 225/45.
  4. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Got to say I like the look of the sigmas, put them back on!
    Bones126 likes this.
  5. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Sigmas look great, I would be putting those back on an when the tyres are in need of replacing putting a slight taller profile tyre on. It will improve the ride and fill the arch a bit more. It will also affect the accuracy of the speedo mind, but none are that accurate anyway.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sigmas look best.
    I wanted Sigmas on mine but they aren't TPMS compliant.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@John Hamer - I think it may be something to do with the colour of your Accord. I love the Sigmas, but I do (sort of) see what you mean looking at the two pictures. Maybe they just don't suit black?

My previous 8th Generation was silver, and the Sigmas had the exact opposite effect - in fact, when I went back to my standard 17" wheels (with Winter tyres) they looked too small. Maybe if you leave the Sigmas on for a few weeks you'll get more used to the looks?

FirstHonda's Accord

In terms of ride, I hardly noticed any difference. I was using Yokohama Advan Sport v103 as @i-DSI mentions above. They were excellent, and after 10k miles were showing hardly any signs of wear. They were so good that my MINI Cooper is going to be treated to a set shortly...
    i-DSI likes this.
  8. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Thanks for replies, I will keep the 17's on through the winter, then when clapped out I will fit the 18's and wear them out, then as advised will go for 225x45x18, as the present ones are 225x40x18, Unless they get sold before that. LOL