Engine & Gearbox Tappeting noise under mediocre accelaration

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by williamweir, Wednesday 29th Aug, 2012.

1. williamweir Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My 1.8 VTEC with 114700 on the clock sounds fine but when you slightly give it the beans there is hesitation up to 3500rpm and throughout rev range the sound of what i think is tappets. no matter the speed or extra strain on the engine, it tappets the harder you push the pedal. any thoughts?
  2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Is it very tappy on tickover?

If so then perhaps the valve clearances need adjusting.
  3. williamweir Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

no tapping at all on tick over. only on middle to hard accelartion. also i can hear the VTEC kick-in. lol its a big thing that made me buy the car in the first place. lol
  4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'd suspect it isn't tappets then...and VTEC only kicks in at a certain engine speed so as it's throughout the rev range doesn't sound like that either...no doubt we'll get more thoughts from others soon....
  5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Can you hear the v-tec when it kicks in, or is it kicking in all the time?

If the v-tec runs on a bigger cam surely it would exaggerate the sound of a knocking tappets confirming the engine needs the valve clearances adjusting?!
  6. williamweir Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i mis-spelled the earlier reply to thread. i can't hear the VTEC kick in. maybe once or twice but according to data on the web, the VTEC on the f18a engine kicks in @ 3500rpm.
  7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yours is F18B2 fella
  8. williamweir Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cool i thought they all had a f18 engine. lol