Bulletins & Advisories Technical Overview: Driver Assistance Safety Pack (DASP)

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by Service News, Monday 31st Mar, 2014.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Driver Assistance Safety Pack (DASP is fitted to some models of 14 Model Year Civic 5 door hatchback and Tourer to get a better understanding who this system below are the Key components.

• Lane Departure Warning (LDW)*
    • Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR)*
    • Front Collision Warning (FCW)*
    • City-Brake Active (CTBA)*
    • High beam Support System (HSS)
    • Blind Spot Information (BSI)
    • Cross Traffic Monitor (CTM)

*Alignment procedure of the multipurpose camera /laser radar (Lidar) would need to be carried out, if the front windscreen has to be replaced.

These are some of the Frequently Asked Questions about these systems.

Lane Departure Warning (LDW)

Q: Why do I get LDW activation when driving along a country road even though there are no line markings?
    A: The camera could mis-detect tar lines in the road that are reflecting sun light or covered with surface water. False detections could also arise from the
    following scenarios: cracks in the road, tyre marks, and unmatched patches of new and old asphalt. LDW is not recommended for use on 'B' roads or single lane tracks as this will cause many activations of the system. In this case the owner should turn off the system using the switch provided.

Q: LDW warning seems very late. Why did it not warn me before I had crossed the line?
    A: LDW only gives warning that the vehicle has left the lane (i.e. crossed the line), it does not give any advanced warning that the vehicle has strayed too
    close to the line in the same way that LKAS does.

Q: I could see a faint line along the centre of the road; however when I strayed across it why did LDW not activate?
    A: LDW can only respond to what the camera can see or detect. Heavy rain, road dirt, worn or faint lines can effect accurate detection by the camera.

Q: What does this image that has appeared on the i-MID mean?
    hkldw.PNG
    A: This image means that the wind screen in front of the Multi Purpose Camera is dirty and requires cleaning for LDW, TSR, HSS and FCW to be fully effective.

Q: Why does LDW not work when driving in slow moving traffic?
    A: LDW is only active above speeds of 64kph or 40mph.

Q: Since I have had a windscreen replacement why does LDW indicate that the vehicle is over the lane marking even though it is not?
    A: After a windscreen replacement, the multi purpose camera / lidar alignment procedure needs to be carried out. Please follow the relevant workshop manual procedure.

Q: Will LDW work when I drive in another country with slightly different road line markings?
    A: Yes, the multi purpose camera is capable of detecting dashed and solid lines (double or single) in yellow or white, along with Botts Dots and any other
    lane markings that are common to the vehicle destination country EG. Solid, dashed and double lane markings in yellow or white on asphalt or concrete.

Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR)

Q: Why did my i-MID display a different speed sign to the one that I had just passed? I passed a 30 sign and the i-MID displayed 80!
    A: TSR will only identify signs that are clear, undamaged and unobstructed. If the sign has become obstructed by a tree branch, then it may take on the
    appearance of another sign to the camera, such as a 3 becoming an 8.
    TSWHK.PNG
    Q: Why does the national speed limit sign disappear and get replaced with the grey circle with three dashes inside when driving after a short time?
    A: The national speed limit sign is displayed for approximately 25~30 seconds after passing the sign to denote that you have entered on to a highway. The sign is then removed from the display until passing another sign.

Q: I accidentally drove past a NO ENTRY sign, why did TSR not give me any warning?
    A: TSR only displays those signs that are within the i-MID library, these include: speed limit, end of speed limit, no overtaking, end of no overtaking and secondary weather signs. The TSR image library does not include such signs as: No Entry, Stop, Give way, One-way, round-a-bout etc.

Q: Sometimes when I turn on to a side road the i-MID cancels the displayed traffic sign, however, other times it does not. Why is there a difference?
    A: If TSR receives input from a turn signal and vehicle YAW information the displayed traffic sign will be cancelled from the i-MID. This feature is to prevent
    inaccurate display, for example, if a vehicle turns off a 50mph road on to a 30mph road. The i-MID display may not be cancelled if no turn signal is received.

Q: Will TSR detect road signs when I drive in another country?
    A: Yes, the camera is capable of detecting all EU road speed and no overtaking signs on both white and yellow backgrounds. However the images that will be displayed by the i-MID are on white backgrounds only.

Q: I have noticed that TSR does not always detect the small traffic signs at the road side, is this correct?
    A: TSR may not detect the smaller 'repeater' style traffic speed signs that are affixed to street lights, or other road signs. This can be dependent upon their size, position, angle and condition.

Q: Why does the sign image in the i-MID disappear after a period of time and be replaced with the grey circle with three dashes image?
    A: TSR runs an algorithm within its software that uses past sign detection history, current driving speed and elapsed time since the last detection to determine the sign image display length.

Q: Why did TSR display a sign from a side road as I went past it?
    A: If the sign on the side road junction is poorly aligned so that it faces the multi purpose camera, it can be detected as a relevant sign and be displayed.

Front Collision Warning (FCW)

Q: Why did FCW give me a warning when I passed a vehicle parked on a tight bend in the road?
    A: FCW may give warnings when entering tight bends where cars or other objects may be present. This situation is unavoidable due to the expected trajectory of the vehicle along with the distance setting of the FCW warning. It is more likely to happen when the FCW system is configured to the 'far' setting.

Q: What is the difference between the 'Near-Normal-Far' system settings for FCW?
    A: The three setting states for FCW alter the warning time (in seconds) to the predicted collision.
    E.g. at
    48kph / 30mph Far=2.9s, Norm=2.6s, Near=2.2s.

Q: Why did FCW activate when approaching a queue of stationary traffic?
    A: This phenomenon can occur based upon customer driving style. If the approach to the stationary traffic was fast with planned late braking, this could cause a false activation. The multi purpose camera is detecting a rapid closing distance with a steady speed, therefore anticipates a potential impact and activates FCW

CiTy Brake Assist (CTBA)

Q: Why was CTBA active when I switched the ignition ON, as the last time I drove the car I switched the system OFF?
    A: The default setting at ignition ON timing for CTBA is always ON due to NCAP requirements.

Q: Will CTBA detect things other than cars?
    A: CTBA may be triggered by things other than cars. The lidar will potentially detect any reflective object and calculate whether impact is likely. This could include; horses, motor cycles, pedestrians, cyclists, road signs, traffic islands etc.

Q: What does this image that has appeared on the i-MID mean?
    HKCTBA.PNG
    A: This image means that the wind screen in front of the CTBA LIDAR is dirty and requires cleaning for CTBA to be fully effective.

Q: When trying to overtake a vehicle in front, the car beeped and showed the CTBA activation image on the i-MID screen. The car also lost power and
    would not accelerate for a few seconds. Why?
    A: This phenomenon can occur based upon customer driving style. If the customer overtaking style is to accelerate within the same lane up to a proceeding
    vehicle then pull out and overtake at the last opportunity, this could cause a false activation. The LIDAR is detecting a rapid closing distance with an increasing speed, therefore anticipates an impact and activates CTBA.

Q: Why did CTBA activate when approaching a queue of stationary traffic?
    A: This phenomenon can occur based upon customer driving style. If the approach to the stationary traffic was fast with planned late braking, this could cause a false activation. The LIDAR is detecting a rapid closing distance with a steady speed, therefore anticipates an impact and activates CTBA.

Q: I accidentally drove in to my garage doors when pulling on to my drive-way at low speed. How is this possible if the vehicle has CTBA?
    A: CTBA is only active above speeds of 5kph / 3mph.

Q: I had a slow speed impact with a vehicle approaching in the opposite direction. Why did CTBA not activate?
    A: CTBA calculates 'time to collision' (TTC) and activates for proceeding vehicles only. CTBA cannot calculate two 'TTCs' that would be required in the
    situation for an approaching vehicle.

High beam Support System (HSS)

Q: Why did HSS not auto switch off when I passed a vehicle approaching from a side road?
    A: The multi purpose camera mounted on the front screen must see proceeding vehicle Tail Lights or oncoming vehicle Head Lights in order to auto switch
    off. In this case the camera cannot see the head lights of the car approaching from a side road.

Q: Why did HSS not auto switch off immediately when I came from a dark road in to a street lit area around a corner?
    A: HSS has a safety system incorporated so that the high beam will not auto switch off when cornering (unless other vehicle head lights or tail lights are seen).

Q: When I want to re-activate HSS I must hold the lighting stalk in the 'head light flash' position for what feels like an uncomfortable time. Can this be
    adjusted?
    A: Yes, the time at which the lighting stalk must be held in the 'flash' position to re-activate HSS can be adjusted using HDS customisation menu from between 0.35 ~ 2.5 seconds. (Factory default setting is 1.5 seconds).

Q: Is there a way that HSS will automatically switch back on after it has been deactivated by a mechanical operation of the lighting stalk?
    A: Yes, HSS has an auto reactivation setting that can be adjusted by the dealer ON/OFF. The auto reactivation system switches the system back ON if the
    vehicle has travelled for a set distance without any mechanical activation of the lighting stalk. The set distance travelled can be adjusted using HDS customisation menu from between 20 ~ 1667 metres. (Factory default setting is 1000 metres).

Q: On my 2012 / 2013 MY Civic I could deactivate the HSS system by pressing the ON/OFF button on the rear view mirror. Is this still possible on
    2014MY vehicles with ADAS HSS?
    A: No, HSS for ADAS vehicles is controlled by the Multi Purpose Camera fixed to the front screen and therefore cannot be deactivated by the switch on the rear view mirror. The ON/OFF button feature is only available on Civic models with the HSS camera within the rear view mirror assy (NON ADAS). ADAS vehicles can have HSS turned OFF using HDS customisation menu.

Blind Spot Information (BSI)

Q: Why did I get BSI warnings when I was driving in heavy rain?
    A: The BSI radars can experience interference during heavy rain or spray from the road which may result in erroneous warnings.

Q: What is the smallest vehicle / object that BSI will detect?
    A: The smallest road legal vehicle that must be detected is a 125cc motorcycle & rider.

Q: When towing a caravan or trailer BSI is constantly activated in both mirrors. How can I avoid this?
    A: BSI can be switched OFF within the i-MID customisation menu (refer to i-MID customisation section below).

Q: Why do I keep getting BSI activations as I drive through a multi-storey car park?
    A: It is possible for the BSI radars to detect reflection from large objects when driving and identify them as vehicles. This is most likely to occur in areas with walls either side of the vehicle such as in multi-storey cars parks.

Q: Sometimes the BSI indicators flash rapidly in the door mirrors along with a noise, why is this?
    A: If the direction indicator is activated when an object is within the vehicle blind spot, the BSI indicators will flash and an audible warning will be emitted from the Combi Meter.

Cross Traffic Monitor (CTM)

Q: When I was reversing out of a parking space, why did the CTM display in the i-MID show that a vehicle was approaching from one side when it
    actually came from the other?
    A: If the vehicle is parked next to a wall or high sided vehicle it is possible for the system to receive 'corner reflection' in to the opposite side radar. Therefore, giving a false display reading. The system however, is still correctly warning of an approaching vehicle.

Q: When reversing with a caravan or trailer CTM is constantly activated in both mirrors. How can I avoid this?
    A: CTM can be switched OFF within the i-MID customisation menu (refer to i-MID customisation section below).

i-MID Customisation

Q: How do I customise the ADAS settings?
    A:
    1. Press the MENU button on the steering wheel.
    2. Press the ( - ) button to highlight "Customise settings".
    3. Press the SOURCE button to select "Customise settings".
    4. Customise settings according to the owner's preferences.
    Press the MENU button again to exit the menu at any time.

Note:
    The vehicle has to be stationary to enter the customise settings menu.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anyone with the 9th Generation Civic with DASP? I would be surprised if anyone other than Honda press fleet will have this car. The cost is astronomical but please someone prove me wrong we need to hear from you.