Off-Topic Telescopic Ladders

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by AndyB1976, Wednesday 23rd Oct, 2013.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How do these things work ? What stops it collapsing when a 14 stone man is stood on it ? :Unknown:

3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

lol...I know what you mean. They look like a death trap but I only need one for infrequent use. I was going to buy a Screwfix Xtend&Climb version, somehow it seems safer buying a ladder from them than Maplin.

The rung locking mechanism looks a bit feeble...

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  4. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    I purchased one of these ladders from Jewson when I worked for them . As the man in the video says, it is ideal for quick jobs and getting into the loft.
    They are not as light as you would like but manageable.
    Care should be taken when dropping the ladder down as it is easy to pinch your fingers and you must double check that the locking slides are fully engaged.
    I have used mine around a dozen times with success and they are great for carrying in the boot.
    Mike c

Ichiban likes this.
  5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers Mike!

Moving them between the house and caravan is an aspect of getting them, ie they can go in the car! Really getting them just for a bit of annual maintenance and occasional odd job at either location.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Traditional aluminum ladder for me,stored in the garage underneath the 1st Generation..the telescopic ladders do have the convenience but never found a space an issue as the traditional ones can be securely held on roofs and they weigh nothing really.

7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Well was passing a Maplin today and just bought a set.

First impression seem pretty good, quite robust but maybe not enough for a brickie. 11Kgs, 3.75m extending - 88cm collasped, extending them is pretty smooth, collapsing them (spring loaded steel pin) is a bit of a loud thud and a potential finger crusher as the rungs drop down. Profile is maybe 3.5inches at the bottom which is the thickest end so quite a slender item for storing in a shallow wardrobe or under a bed (basically ideal for the static caravan, the main reason for the purchase)

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff,looking forward to a long term review bud

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I got them into some use. They feel surprising solid when up, no creaks or noticable flexing with my 13st on them and enough height to get to 'van roof.

Some pics to gauge scale....

IMAG0660r_zpsae1ffb4a.

IMAG0658r_zps2d59ebe1.

IMAG0657r_zps4209e062.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds