Off-Topic Tell me your driving pet peeves!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jables667, Sunday 28th Feb, 2016.

1. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    I wanted to create the opportunity to blow off some steam and get our petty niggles off our collective chests. It occurred to me earlier today while - for the umpteenth time this month - I was detailing the inside of my car. So, since it's my thread I have a pet peeve I'd like to share with you all. I'm sure many of you will agree.

Now, before I open fire, I should preface this with the fact that I love my partner. She's my beautiful, passionate and fiery soul-mate. She's always been there for me and there's nothing we wouldn't do for one another. BUT.

So, we're both smokers. That in itself is fine. I don't like my car to smell of it so I take steps to ensure that it doesn't. Regular air-freshener changes, Febreeze and a regular hoovering and wipe down. I flick my ash out of the window and empty the ends from the ashtray after each trip, even going as far as to blow the smoke out of the window and keeping the sunroof open a crack.

BUT HER... She's useless at keeping to this regimen. Ash gets flicked into the ashtray (if we're lucky) and while she's in the car, the windows stay closed because it's too cold and windy. So what we end up with is the entire centre console coated in ash. The footwells too.

This whole area.
    104366_IMG_20160228_164216.

And that's not all. Since she can't drive and so doesn't own a car of her own (in fact, apparently I'm the first partner to own a car), she's a little unclear on how to respect one. I'm quite hot on keeping the interior clean and welcoming to my various passengers since I've a lot of family who don't drive. But since I spend most of my time with my beloved, this leads to a frighteningly quick build up of fast food rubbish, drink cans and bottles (usually half full), cigarette packets and tobacco pouches, and various woman-related litter. This doesn't bother her as she's not the tidiest of people. Her bedroom gives me panic attacks and within a day or two, she transforms my highly organised bedroom/music studio into a minefield of clothes, plates and cups.

Right, rant complete. I love her, I love her, I LOVE HER. That's better.

So, what gets under your skin when it comes to your car? Let's hear it!

FirstHonda likes this.
  2. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    People slamming the car door open and slamming it close. Annoys me so much.

Also when kids put their shoes on the seats.

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Passengers who don't take care - 'it's only a car' - slamming the door, scuffing the plastics due to thoughtlessness, that sort of thing.

My particular annoyance - and I'm not sure why - is female passengers (who shall remain nameless, but over the years ALL of them!) bringing their handbags into the front with them, and going through the contents (seemingly) every 5 minutes. For the love of God, just put it in the back for 5 minutes...:hairout:

exec likes this.
  4. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Yes. This. I also found while cleaning my interior that my dearly beloved has been stockpiling cosmetics and other woman things in the passenger door card. There was an intense (and extremely irritating) rattling noise when I would drive on even slightly rough surfaces. It was caused by her lipstick!

So there's another pet peeve: Having my car used as a rolling shed. As a sensible young man, I keep in the boot only things that give me a sense of security and peace of mind. These are a first aid kit, a full complement of spare bulbs, fuses, basic toolkit, booster cables, fire extinguisher, a change of clothes (including a winter coat), spare shoes and obligatory fluids like oils, screeenwash, water etc. This leaves plenty of room for luggage, a couple of guitars and my entire stage rig (a large amp and effects units). Since the clean out, I removed several stashes of food, mostly opened but not finished packets of crisps and chocolate bars. This is in addition to half-finished drinks and fast food remnants, as well as the aforementioned cache of makeup and various hair grips and bands.

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

No food or drink in my cars. Ever. No exceptions. And people have tried over the years, believe me. And they've failed!

Something I picked up from my parents - not because they wanted to keep the car clean particularly, just because it wasn't the 'done thing' back in the day. When things were better. Much better...:wheelchair:

Nels likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid: