Engine & Gearbox Temperature gauge

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ray Ambrose, Friday 15th Aug, 2014.

1. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ray Cambridge
    Just noticed today on my diesel Accord, during my journey of about twenty miles the temperature gauge which normally hovers mid way, was just off the cold stop, As a test, as I was going along I put the heating on full, the air that came out was hardly warm, and the needle was nearly on the stop itself after I did that. The car is fine, drives well, but on a warm day couldn't understand why the engine appears cold even after 10 miles..Any ideas before I go to Honda and they tell me nothing is wrong....

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    First thing to do would be to ensure all your fluids are at the correct levels.

3. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All fluids..Oil and water correct, however, car is behaving itself at the moment..

4. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Latest update. Temperature problems start again. Needle is virtually on the cold stop even after 30 to forty mile journeys. And just my luck, on Thursday decided to take it to the Honda garage and at a set of traffic lights just a hundred yards from said garage, I watched as the needle shot to the half way position. Sod it I thought turned around and went home. Yesterday, the DPF warning light came on. I presume it cannot do its "burn" when the engine appears cold. Anyway, car is booked into Honda at twelve tomorrow. Will keep you informed..

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If it were just the temperature dial playing up I'd say don't worry about it, but as you mention with the DPF regeneration procedure having a certain temperature as a prerequisite chances are it's going to cause quite the knock-on effect.

Hope that everyone goes smoothly tomorrow and it's all resolved simply!

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    On the Civic FK2 R18 engine there is a known issue with (external) water ingress into the coolant temperature sensor connector., causing corrosion of the connector. I wonder if there is a similar problem here.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It does sound like an electrical contact issue.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get on your knees and look behind the front number plate to see if the sensor hasnt dropped out of its holder. If you had a small front end prang it will dislodge it.. Its happened to me in my 7th Generation hit the garge door at 0.00001 MPH

9. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Hey guys, quick question, this is my temperature gauge and engine is at operating temperature (i think, because i was in traffic jam and done some 30km trip around city). Does the needle where it should be?
    Is it normal?
    2016-05-09 12.45.14.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yup it is even petrol hovers in that region.