Electrical & Lights temperature guage and thirsty car

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by williamweir, Wednesday 29th Aug, 2012.

1. williamweir Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Normally whenthe car has reached optimum running temperature, the needle sits around the halfway mark. on my car, it sits no higher than 1/4 of the way up guage. also its guzzling the go-go juice and its kind of worrying. was thinking along the lines of a thermostat change. possibly exhaust has blown somewhere so might explain the low MPG but any thoughts?
  2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Relax William, 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up the temperature gauge is normal, halfway up would be abnormally high on an Accord.

MPG depends on driving conditions - Accords are thirsty with cold starts and urban driving but good on a long run.
  3. williamweir Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thats ok then. i was a little worried. however when the heaters are put on to 2/3 fan speed the temp drops to bottom.
  4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It shouldn't do that...the heater matrix isn't that greedy.
  5. williamweir Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hope thats the case. wud a new thermostat, coolant change and radiator bleed help to rectify this?
  6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No harm changing the antifreeze, no point replacing parts unless it needs it.
  7. williamweir Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

true will keep an eye on it but so far so good. love the top end power when it gets there. after 4000rpm it pulls sooo well
  8. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

True although you can look a little foolish if you hit the rev limiter in mid-overtake.
  9. williamweir Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lol that happened today on way home from work. I looked a right nugget. the guy i was overtaking in his jag looked at me and opened the rest of his v8 engine on me and laughed. i replied with a wee flash of the light to say fair enough. it was too funny.
  10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Jag v8s are mean cars though

I went past one once in my old 6th Generation doing 30 at traffic lights just turning green, but he was past me on the inside in 10 yards from a standing start!