HVAC Temprature setting on HVAC control

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by LAN3Y, Wednesday 14th Sep, 2016.

1. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom LAN3Y Leicester
    Is there anyway to change the heating controls to below 18? Not sure if my air-con needs re gassing but the past 2 days have been hell driving about with no cold air (without air-con) and barely cold(with aircon).

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I set mine to -273 degrees recently and all molecular action ceased. This was very distracting.
    - - - Updated - - -
    That aside, I don't believe simply setting the requested temperature lower would make the system work harder. I think you need a regas.

LAN3Y and legend-ary like this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Unfortunately not, 18 is the lowest it goes, I wish I could lower mine too, but I noticed anything lower than that isn't very cold, I used a new Yaris Hybrid last weekend and set temp to 16, was barely any colder than 20.

LAN3Y likes this.
  4. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bugger, might put up with it till next summer as I'm sure this is the last of the warm weather

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    saying that though I regassed mine recently and on 18, at fan speed 2, ideally 3, it keeps car cool plenty. Your's probably do with regas if its been a while, ideally they should be serviced and regassed every 2 years...

6. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had this 2 months and has done 108k, I doubt it has been done for a good few years

7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah you both have executive models with climate control, so I am not familiar with the setting of the lowest temperature on them. On my manually controlled A/C if it is set to the coldest temp, the A/C turned on and the fan at position 2 it gets plenty cold, especially when the airflow is directed at the face setting.

Halfords do a regassing service which is about £50. However before you go and get your A/C regassed check the condition of the radiator at the front of the car, especially the in the lower opening of the front bumper. This is the area that gets hammered with stones, flies and other road debris which damages the lower portion of the air conditioning radiator and thus reduces the efficiency of the whole deal.

I had to replace mine as it had become damaged in this way, but on the plus side I knew people in the motor trade who where able to regass the system for free.

Check out the guide here 1998-2003 Accord Air Conditioning condenser replacement as an idea what to look for.

exec likes this.
  8. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had a guy come out and empty the old stuff and test for leaks and passed without a drop (watched him do it). Now re filled it gets down to 6oC so I'm more than happy

Harvey and Zebster like this.
  9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's great news. I hope he also put in the required lubricant as well.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    60c? or do you mean 16c? I'm wondering if my condenser will replacing at some point, it looks pretty poorly and whilst the air con is cold, its not as cold as it used to be when I first bought the car, was ICE cold then.

I had my regas done at ATS Euromaster, think they put in 520g or something, mine was completely empty.

Harvey likes this.
  11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine was the same, until it had a hole in it, worked ok, wasn't mega cold. and your right 500 something grams is what it tool to fill mine from empty.

exec likes this.
  12. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

6 degrees is what i mean't coming directly out the vent, and yes @Harvey he also added the oil

not bad for £35 and he did it on my driveway

Harvey and exec like this.
  13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6 degrees is excellent mate, nice cold A/C for when the sun is out. Also handy when its cold for demisting the windows (daft as it sounds but true)

LAN3Y and exec like this.
  14. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i agree, i have been struggling in the mornings with the rear window so this is a breath of fresh air (no pun intended)

exec, Fiskekutteren and Harvey like this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Changed the title and prefix of this thread for a better understanding on the thread.

Harvey likes this.
  16. Fordham1984 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have had my whole system repaired on my 2004 Type-S and it goes down to 16 then says Lo, and yes lo is freezing I got goose bumps and had to turn it back up.

17. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

18 is monumentally cold now I won't go near it

Harvey likes this.
  18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats great in summer then when it's scorching out.
    But also the later 7th Generation Accord has a different control system so they do tend to say Lo.

@LAN3Y do you notice a drop in engine power when the A/C kicks in? As in you can feel when the ac comes on.

19. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah @Harvey i notice what i would describe as a lull but after its running for a minute or so it picks back up again. I think of it as i now know its working properly :Grin:

20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    AC pump uses engine to run, i've noticed mine isnt as cold as before, my condenser looks pretty battered...

Harvey likes this.