General Tempted To Get An 8th Generation Again....Now (Tentatively) Bought One! YAY!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by TheDarkKnight, Sunday 14th Sep, 2014.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

...not that I am bored of the CR-V, but am tempted to get an 8th Generation again.

Drove a Type-S (2013) yesterday - felt weird to being in a saloon again - but the car was a reminder of how good the car is. That extra 30bhp over the standard I-DTEC engine makes all the difference.

Budget isn't an issue but won't be buying new (as in factory-specific order). Whittled it down to:

• EX GT
    • Type-S (with or without ADAS)
    • EX (only with ADAS)
    Best value right now is the Type-S. They arent holding values at all. a £33k car at new, the one I drove yesterday had been priced at a third less than that.

Gonna keep scouring for now and see what comes up.

EDIT - No Tourers!!!

Last edited: Sunday 14th Sep, 2014
    T10KJC likes this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

They are smashing. If they had a sunroof, they would be my first choice. I've been watching the Honda used cars for quite a while and decent Type-S saloons and tourers come up quite often. ADAS models are less frequent.
    Ex ADAS are very rare, apart from PFL 8th gens. :Frown:
    Happy hunting. :hunter:

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'd go for the Type-S, I would have done so but was outside my budget but the body kit of this and the EXGT was more appealing to me than the EX.

The sun roof rust issues also put me off the EX.

For me the CR-V ended up suiting my needs more though but would equally go for an Accord again.

4. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh, I should say, no tourers! Not a fan - saloon all the way!

@Nels I'm not bothered by the sunroof. In fact, it would be one less hassle. While I had the sunroof replaced on my old 8th Generation with no quibble, I doubt it would be the same now as the Accord looks likely to be dropped from the UK, thus Honda UK will be less inclined to play ball.

@ArcticFire The only issue I have with the Type-S is depreciation. Considering the car I saw was less than a year old, its value has been wiped and I fear that buying it leaves me with next to no equity if I swap again in a year or 18 months time. A late EX GT, for example, will have taken those financial hits already so I would not lose out as much.

Going to see an EX (ADAS) one tomorrow - looks promising, but we'll see.

6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

lol I'm the opposite Tourers all the way for me :Wink:

Ichiban likes this.
  7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Fingers crossed it's a good one, I had a difficult time finding one but then my budget restricted things. Is it worth tuning the ex up to Type-S Performance?

8. T10KJC Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good choice of spec,s Saj can't fault it .I would choose the same ,that would be my choice when i trade in .

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've found about 4 cars this weekend alone. My preferred one is the Type-S (2013), but am awaiting to hear back on the price as I won't pay what is being asked for it. I'm not really a "tuning" sort of person - I'd be quite happy with the stock 150bhp I-DTEC engine in all honesty. Considering I got nearly 1,000 miles from a tank on my last 8th Generation, my primary goal is efficiency. The CR-V is great for its size, but I have had this "bug" bugging me for a saloon again.

Yes saw that too - not keen on the colour to be honest but otherwise a nice car. By Tuesday, I'll know where I stand as I have two further test drives now booked for tomorrow. Then its just decided which one I bit for.

All I know is, whoever gets my CR-V will be getting a damn fantastic car, loaded to the hilt with extras. I'll be sad to see the CR-V go, but as it stands, it all depends on test drives and pricing.

11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Well, well, TDK. Looks like a right choice to me to go back to an Accord.
    One of my friends, driving an Alfa GT is considering to buy a brand new Accord 2.0 i-VTEC Elegance with Lifestyle pack. He testdrove mine. A new one is priced now 23.000 euro! Catalogue price is 31.000 euro. That must be the last ones leaving the door at spectacular prices.

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lexus refuse to budge on price for the new NX (understandable) and the new IS model just isnt "special" enough for my liking because I would say that the 8th Generation still has a better built cabin even though the design is older too.

Prices on new Accords (that are still out there) are falling fast. My fear is I pay "x" for it and then a month later, a similar model will be priced 20% less. That sort of hit I cannot stomach. I'd rather the price during negotiation be slammed first! LOL

Otherwise, the CR-V stays - its an amazing car/SUV in its own right and because I have had it from new, its "stamped" with my customisation on it.

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^100% agree about the IS cabin - I said similar on another thread a few months ago.

All I can say on the 8th generation is that the depreciation will be less of an issue if you keep hold of it for 3 or 4 years. Prices of good 7th Generation are still pretty solid, even now...:Smile:

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As things stand, I'd look to keep the car for at least 12-18 months. If its the newer 2013 I get, then I will hold onto it for longer (warranty period etc) - as good as the Type-S is, and its very good, I cannot see the value of the additional price for what is essentially an Accord EX with no sunroof, 18" alloys and 30 more horsepower.

If you buy those (18" alloys/30 more BHP) in isolation, it would not, in my view, warrant the cost of say £23k like the link you showed versus an EX model priced about £5-6k less (notwithstanding mileage/owners etc).

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Jesus 1000 miles to a tank! The dtec must be quite an improvement over the cdti

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That's fair comment...logic (EX) versus emotion (Type- S).

Even so, a Type-S...:neo:

17. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yep: Link Fuel Efficiency - Full Tank : 919 Miles • Honda Karma

In the CR-V, I have topped over 800 miles in a tank easily too. The I-DTEC engine really is wonderful.

Ha! You sound like my wife! I'll know more tomorrow - I won't lie, as of right now, the Type-S is not the frontrunner because of its price. There is a 2012 Type-S (white) on Autotrader - done about 23k/24k and is up for £17k. That price is thousands LESS than the 2013 car I am looking at which has about 10k on the clock. Its a no brainer as to what you would pick (depending on colour preference between the two).

18. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Not that you need reminding but maybe some MPG readings from this morning will help you come back to an Accord faster: :Whistle:

AE158DDC-5973-4FA5-8BE8-068D52AC0D9B_zpsity4qrbg.

19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^

LOL

Thats a very kind and cruel way to speed up my decision making!

20. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes