General Terra clean

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jay0001, Friday 11th Apr, 2014.

1. jay0001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jay
    Has anyone ever had it done?

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I had to Google it to find out what it was, I'll be honest - I've never known of an i-VTEC engine to get clogged up. Far as I go is checking the carbon built-up around the EGR gasket and the throttle body.

I honestly wouldn't bother, but interested to hear what others have to say.

3. jay0001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jay
    Its meant to get rid of the carbon deposit build up in engine which happens over time... Once treated, it improves emissions and improves MPG... As endorsed by Ed China.
    I'm considering it, it costs £108.
    Was just interested to see if anyone else had tried it.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

My point was that generally speaking the i-VTEC engines don't get massive build-ups of carbon, it's not a diesel and it's not a German car. Unless it's performing badly or sitting high on 150k miles I honestly wouldn't bother. The i-VTEC engines breath well. I wouldn't think you'll find many other petrol Honda owners who have tried the system, my one experience with fuel additive type cleaner on my previous Accord left it running worse until all the fuel additive had properly burnt off.

Just my two cents, I'm sure others will pipe in with their thoughts.

5. jay0001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jay
    Ahh I see... Thanks for your feedback.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've seen something done with the MPS's and loads of white smoke comes out of the back for a while as it flushes the engine (I think it was in the actual engine oil) but I think Terraclean goes through the petrol system instead. I can't imagine Honda's needing this.

I agree in that diesels (especially doing local driving) and much older/higher mileage cars could benefit.

7. jay0001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jay
    Oh well it's good to know honda pertol engines don't clog up... Might just give it a miss and save the money for the next service...
    Thanks people.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    For that price I can get you 12 litres (in 1 litre containers) delivered to your door of the absolutely lovely Mobil 1 Advanced Fully Synthetic 0W20 oil which the Accord loves!

I was in my Accord last weekend moving it out of the driveway and it's had this oil in it since November when I last did a service and I swear you can't barely hear the engine even on a cold start - the only sound you hear is the subtly powerful and dull drone of the exhaust system. I reckon this oil is far more valuable and good for your engine and for the fuel system I'd just use Forte injector cleaner which I found was very good or this other stuff I have (I forget the name) which is TUV approved. I have a tin in my boot which I'll dig out, it's trade only though, but this stuff also sorts out moisture in the system by emulsifying it and allowing it to burn off rather than what others do which separates the water which inevitably leaves it lying in your system.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
  10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Seconded, I run Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE and cannot fault it in the slightest, best oil I've run on. Performance increased, economy increased and it's whisper quiet on idle.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I run on Honda 0w-20 and its the best thing since slice bread its so smooth you don't want to cane it..and if you do it feels so free revving its effortless.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  12. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    i think if a car is 10 years old and in need of a service and fails the emissions test then giving it an oil/filter change, new fuel filter, air filter, plugs and then a damn good thrash you will more than likely pass emissions test.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My wife's Yaris was borderline two years ago with emissions because of a dirty MAF sensor, I shoved forte in it the following year and it ended up well within! Cleaned the sensor before the last one and it was near perfect emissions.

Some of these cleaners really do work!

14. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    i have had a few mechanics recommend forte, both the engine flush and the fuel system cleaner.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Looks like I'm kind of late on this conversation but I would echo what others have said, ie TerraClean is not needed on a petrol engined Honda. Also as others have said that you're better off spending that money on pampering her in other ways.

Superman001 likes this.
  16. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Terra clean is not common in this country and there are a limited number of dealers. But in other countries having this form of treatment is very common and I think in one country it's a requirement, on petrol cars as well as diesels.

It's a petrol treatment. The treatment is actually refined from petrol which makes it different to all the usual snake oil treatments you buy on the shelves and looks to be far more effective.

Clearly no manufacturer is going to recommend this treatment as to do so would cast doubt over their engines performance. But tests have shown it to be very effective.

It has been discussed on here before. As Ichiban mentioned cleaning all the carbon from the valve seats on a high mileage car could cause a slight loss of compression. But I think if this treatment is done regularly from when the engine is in a good condition there's should be no side effects.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good old snake oil versus perceived and tangible benefits, there is a lot of well written article proclaiming the benefits of snake oil and treatments. It depends how far your mind can be altered reading them.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Seafoam is what is was called.