General terraclean on 2.2cdti

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chris2982, Thursday 9th Jul, 2015.

1. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    has anyone tried terraclean. .
    thinking about getting it done but would be good to here any feedback first.

chris.

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Why do you think you might need it?

Personally I think 'cleaning' additives and this sort of thing are quite unnecessary, and any benefits will be very temporary.

3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Just thought that if it was good for the engine might be worth a go.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Is there actually something wrong with your engine then?

If so, fix it properly. If not, leave it alone. I just can't see the point in wasting money on stuff like this.

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

MPG on the low side and sometimes the first start of the day can turn over a bit before firing up.. but apart from that is fine

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It really sounds like it needs proper repair work... perhaps the EGR valve needs attention, or possibly something else. Just how low is the MPG? I honestly can't think of what exactly in the common rail system might get cleaned by Terraclean to fix these complaints.

Unless you are particularly susceptible to the placebo effect, then I doubt that Terraclean can posibly offer any improvement.

7. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Getting around 35mpg

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Well yes, that is disappointing. As a guess based upon a common issue, I'd start with cleaning up the EGR valve just sufficiently to ensure that is is fully closing and without any sticking.

9. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks @Zebster ..
    I'm sure I seen a guide on how to do this on the forum. . Think it was on an accord but shouldn't be too different I assume? ?

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Sorry, but I'm not sure. But it seems reasonable to assume that a guide for a FACELIFT Accord (with the vacuum EGR valve) would be near enough for you to follow (if not actually identical). But don't try to use a pre-facelift Accord guide as they had a different valve (electrical).

chris2982 likes this.
  11. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Oh yes... that's handy!

I've never wanted to do any more cleaning than absolutely necessary to ensure that the actual valve part is free of crap. Personally, I feel that cleaning up the pipework to/from the valve only helps the filth-ridden fumes to enter the cylinders and any restriction to this flow is welcome! If the pipework had actually become too restricted with soot, etc, then the engine management light would come on... the system monitors the Mass Air Flow (just in from the air filter) and checks that this flow of incoming air falls correspondingly when the EGR valve opens to allow filthy air to displace this nice fresh air.

Good luck. I really hope this helps your MPG and starting.

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I've read a lot of negative stuff about terraclean, from being next to useless to harming the engine by dislodging carbon deposits.