Electrical & Lights terrible headlights!

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by benlovesgoddess, Wednesday 2nd Sep, 2015.

1. benlovesgoddess Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Bridlington
    Hi, we got a 2007 2.2 diesel nearly 2 years ago and love it. However she has one bad fault - terrible headlights! They hardly illuminate any of the road ahead - I have been recommended changing the bulbs to osram nightbreakers or similar. Are the headlights generally poor? My thought is that as they are mounted higher from the ground, they are angled down more to avoid dazzling other drivers. Or do I just have useless old bulbs?!
    Thanks, Ben

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Can you post up a picture of them please? Better still, add your CR-V to the Club Garage as this will help us to help you.

3. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Hi Ben have you had your alignment on your lights checked.
    Also check your manual height adjuster is working as it might be stuck in the wrong position.
    From experience osram lamps don't last long upto OEM lamps.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Are they regular are or HID bulbs? Mine were HID but I was never particularly impressed with them, warm and not very bright especially compared to the Accord which were a crisp white and great illumination. Not sure what regular bulbs are like though.

5. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    If there HID you won't be able to swap for halogen lamps also if HID they should be Auto height adjustable

6. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Sounds like they need aligning or the adjuster is either in the wrong postion or stuck, or as some have said yours is fitted with HID.My standard bulbs are fine and give good light. Like Nels said post some pics and we maybe able to help.

Nels likes this.
  7. benlovesgoddess Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. We bought it and had it serviced at a Honda dealers - we mentioned the poor vision and they said they adjusted them to correct last November - though we didn't notice a difference!

Attached Files:

8. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

@benlovesgoddess not sure if this helps.....
    There is a review of bulbs on AutoExpress here Car bulbs: 2014 halogen headlight bulb reviews | Auto Express
    - - - Updated - - -
    I bought some Halfords Ultra Brilliance for the Accord and will be doing an early morning (2.00am) airport run on Sunday, so I will know if these are better than the Honda ones and whether i am going to switch to HID conversion ones or not.

Zebster and FirstHonda like this.
  9. benlovesgoddess Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the link - they are cheaper than I thought, if the £14 price is for the illustrated pair, not per bulb! We need to sort them soon, or we'll be using the i20 for all future night driving. Should a Honda main dealer check our alignment and beam height as a free courtesy? Last time they told us they needed adjusting, said they would, but they were just as bad afterwards. I know my Hyundai dealer tells me to pop in between services for any necessary tweaks and checks free of charge.

10. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

Just google the bulbs you would like to buy - use the google shopping tab, don't forget to add the letters UK for suppliers in the UK.
    Not sure about your headlight beam check - as a general rule of thumb which i use for the wife's Isuzu Trooper Bighorn - park about 10 feet away from a white or similar wall/garage door and check the height of the beam pattern, it should be about 3 foot high and both beam lines should be level and towards the left slightly.

try this link for assistance DIY Headlight Alignment | eHow UK

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Is that cloudiness on the inside or outside of the lens?

12. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

They look ok to me Nels

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

DSC_0003 looks like it has either condensation or oxidation on the upper half or it, or maybe I need to visit Specsavers.

14. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think it was washed before the photo was taken and its just where it has been wiped with a chamois or drying cloth, then again I could need specsavers too

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You could easily be right @chunkymonkey, but I asked the question just to be sure.

16. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think an alignment check and a bulb upgrade would be the best course not sure if they are HID from the pics though

17. benlovesgoddess Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the advice. It was wet, I wiped the glass with a tissue before taking the photos. Any clouding looks like above the lights if at all. When we first got the car one of the bulbs had the wiring melt! The dealer fixed it free as a CR-V recall issue. If they are HID, the manual says not to touch them yourself - is that serious?

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I believe that HIDs run on high voltage. Therefore, you need to know what you are doing.

Zebster likes this.
  19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Easiest way to tell if they are HID I believe is if you have headlight washers. You should see a small embossed rectangular cap below each headlight which will open when using the main windscreen washers

20. benlovesgoddess Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

We have those headlight washers! We were remarking how their operation dimmed (if just temporarily!) the poor headlight beams further still...