Fuel Efficiency Tesco Momentum99

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by StuH, Saturday 6th Apr, 2013.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    As a rule I don't use supermarket fuel but decided to try the Momentum99 for a for a few tanks. Will start to do the MPG calcs on the next tank but I've got to say it feels like the car is loving it. Maybe it's a placebo but it seems smoother, quieter and quite a bit friskier. I have tried Shell Optimax/V-Power with various vehicles in the past and found no difference what so ever.

2. ann_kelvin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My car is an awful lot more responsive on 97 octane fuel, I've only once used generic 95 and found that my fuel consumption was also much higher. Going to have to try the Momentum99 and see how it goes.

By the way, in regards to having various cars in the past on Optimax/V-Power and noticing no difference, your ECU must be able to adaptively change timing maps to make use of it. From my understanding, 7th Generation and up do this as with most higher end modern cars. If I remember right older 6th Generation Type-Rs were meant to run on 98 RON or higher but had no ability to change the timing map to optimise properly for 95. Someone more knowledgeable can probably give better information on how this works.

4. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I have read the Pistonheads before but it's a good head-up for people who haven't seen it. Got to say that I back don't think I can go back to standard fuel.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm sure I read on here that the Tesco 99 is directly sourced from BP, but if not then will this fuel be ok for your car? I've never been a fan of supermarket fuels, especially after that time when it wrecked all those engines, but also because I'm not sure if supermarket fuel has decent cleaners/additives in it etc and the actual quality or purity (i.e. no water!) of it?

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You've got to take into account that BP/Shell etc. are the ones who supply the supermarket's with fuels, the only difference is they are often mixed up with different additives, 95 octane is still 95 octane. I personally only fill up at BP (or Shell just none on my doorstep).

Last time I used Supermarket fuel (my old Astra) it burnt so damn quickly.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I just noticed that Shell V-Power is also 99 and I've got a huge garage up the road from me :Smile:

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It used to be 97, they must've changed it.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think it was the optimax that was 97. I'm sure there was a bp that was 101 maybe in Milton K but it was ridiculously expensive like well over 2 pounds per litre. Not sure though.

10. dean Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i did a mile to £ comparison with momentum 99 and found that not only did my 2.4 ex feel better (again subjective :Smile:...) but even thou i got less fuel in terms of litres i got more miles for the same money so for me a no brainer i always use the momentum , have done for 2-3 years no probs and really noticed on the odd time i went back to standard fuel.

DeviateDefiant likes this.