General Tesla 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nighthawk, Sunday 3rd Apr, 2016.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The need to litter the country with these superfast 20 minutes charge banks before these cars will be used outside the city limits. Good luck on that.

jimjams and Nighthawk like this.
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The 215+ mile range is pretty good.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Something about it reminds me of Alfa Romeo, and that can't be a bad thing.

I think it looks great, and with that range (assuming it is achievable) it will find plenty of buyers - and rightly so.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    They're making quite an understandable fuss over the range, so it probably will be reliable. Tesla have some original battery developments under their belt... These are beginning to spin off into versions for domestic use.

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The interior is gash though, why they insist on some large ipad as the console. I think I read the batteries are made by Panasonic, i'm not sure how feasible these are out side of city center where there is hardly any charge points, syaing that the Leaf hasn't done too bad/

Nighthawk and jimjams like this.
  7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    with 200 mile range they would fit needs of a pretty large UK population. but lets not forget that Mazda just filed a patent for a new Rotary with intake at bottom and exhaust on top supposedly to aid the emissions.. combine that news with the RX-Vision and I am willing to let go of my want of an electric car! :Grin:

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Only issue with rotary will be oil consumption and long term reliability!

Zebster likes this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I really think Electric is the short term future but I really want Mazda to do what no one else is willing to do.

exec likes this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Same here, I like their engineering exploration, taking an existing concept and trying to make it more efficient, plus combustion engine > electric for me anyday.

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Surely the only limiting factor/drawback to an electric car is the range? Why would anyone actually prefer an IC car, other than those same weirdos who prefer valve audio amplifiers over solid-state amps?

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ...because some of us are petrolheads who enjoy cars rather than just use/see them as tools. An electric car is never going to be the same as a high revving screaming VTEC or a growling and rumbling V8!

MickyB, vincemince and jimjams like this.
  13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    An electric engine will rev a lot, lot faster than any VTEC engine (which was only a stopgap workaround for an IC engine limitation anyway) and produce more torque than a V8!

So it's all about the noise then?

14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It's not the same thing and its not just the noise, its the whole experience, the power delivery, the mechanical feel of an engine, engagement etc. I have driven electric cars and it is nice as everyday car but it snot something that I would have fun in or just go for a drive in. It's the same thing for me with other parts of the car, hydraulic steering over electric, manual over auto etc.

Also VTEC wasn't a 'stop gap', it was an engineering solution at getting more power and also keep fuel efficiency, one could say electric vehicles are a stopgap for hydrogen fuel cell cars.

jimjams likes this.
  15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    But development on electric cars is still ongoing. Power delivery could readily be electronically controlled to mirror whatever the driver wanted, be it screaming VTEC-style or relaxed diesel style. Electric motors can do all that and more, but maybe real advances in vehicle motor control and battery duration won't happen until we really are threatened by losing cheap fossil fuels?

I expect there were plenty of 'Fred Dibnah' types who bemoaned their beloved external combustion steam engines being ousted by IC engines, yet here we are! And who really wants to go back to all that noise and stink?

I reckon in a few decades we'll be driving along in our clean, quiet electric cars to museums where men in dirty overalls start up petrol and diesel engines for our entertainment. And our grandchildren will laugh!

vincemince and exec like this.
  16. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    ^ torque of an electric motor is highest at zero RPM, and drops as the RPM increases, so it is totally opposite to an IC engine

overall efficiency of an electric motor (including the generation of the electricity) is about the same as an IC engine.

There are only two things in favour of an electric vehicle
    1. the emissions are moved from street level to the power stations
    2. if the power stations all went non-CO2, then CO2 goes down (can't see that happening any time soon)

so IMO, battery powered cars are a joke, H2 cells are the way to go (although the production of H2 has similar issues)

vincemince and exec like this.
  17. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Coz you can't beat a well sorted valve amp!

Zebster likes this.
  18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Ooh look, I've caught a greasy Luddite!

As i suggested, the output from an electric motor could be arranged to deliver power to the vehicle wheels in a variety of different ways. The torque delivery of a series-wound motor is quite different to that of a shunt-wound motor but, in any case, is the way in which a petrol engine delivers torque necessarily preferable? If it is, then a torque converter could be fitted.

The economics of running electric vehicles are currently unclear, but when fossil fuels start to run out that becomes a moot point, doesn't it!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Especially if you're currentky selling them at inflated prices!

19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    Not a Luddite, a realist, and it's the diesel-engined car drivers who are greasy.

So where does that torque-curve differ from what i said ?

and when fossil fuels start to run out, there will be much bigger problems for society than just personal transport (aka cars).
    - - - Updated - - -
    @Zebster likes his even-harmonic distortion as much as he likes his own distorted polemic

exec likes this.
  20. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Both distortion and polemic can be configured to suit whatever you need. Much like the delivery of wheel power created by an electric motor.