General Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ichiban, Thursday 4th Dec, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  2. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Its a stunning car but I hate that great big telly they've stuck in the dash.

3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I've watched a few talks with Elon Musk (Tesla founder) on youtube and TED, he is the most inspirational guy IMO.

Captain Slow likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Those things have some serious performance figures - I remember researching them when they were first released. They are 0-60 in around 6 secs or so if memory serves me right.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's a great looking car!

Ichiban likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    They are full electric right? So i guess all the torque and power comes in one linear go and seamlessly, no lag or waiting for VTEC to kick in etc.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think the new NSX uses three electric motors in addition to the main motor, one at the rear for that instant torque and two at the front for ultra fast torque and reaction to the front wheels for the AWD system.

8. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    It's a shame they are extortionate.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its sure is I won't mind one TBH.

10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes that's the advantage of a direct current electric motor, high starting torque, easy to control it's speed over a wide range and quick starting and stopping - no inertial of a flywheel etc. to overcome like in internal combustion engine.

One of those ugly electric turds - sorry I mean BMW I3 - was alongside me at the lights and it was off like a rocket (mid I would be if I was in that pile of s#1t£ have you seen the state of it? :Rolf::taunt::blush::focus:)

i3_4.

Interestingly if you Google BMW I3 Nissan Leaf comes up first :Niceone: Nissan :BooYeah:

Mind the I3 didn't get ahead for long turbo kicked in and I-DTEC "pull your house down" torque kicked in and p!$$£d all over it! :Hooray:

Perhaps it's just me but the design of the doors on the Leaf:

Nissan-LEAF-SL-rear-550x314.

Reminds me a little of the Datsun 180B:

datsunphotos2009075.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This gives you the better view of how the system works

John Dickson likes this.
  12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The Tesla is a nice looking motor but the dash spoils it - too Audi-esque (if that's a word) for me.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Impressive!

Have I got this right? Will the system regenerate from one wheel and simultaneously drive the other 3 either from the engine or the motor? I imagine the electronics will work out which of the 4 wheels is the optimum one to regenerate from and drive.

Nighthawk likes this.
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Not afraid to say that Tesla is the one manufacturer I'd drop Honda for as a daily driver. They are quite simply the future of automobile manufacturer and I hope to hell that Honda see the light - either that or Hydrogen Fuel Cell models really do kick off and Honda bet right.

John Dickson likes this.
  14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think and hope for Honda's sake they've bet right on hydrogen fuel cell, as it's a further development of the system that has worked for nearly 100 years - i.e. carry fuel and replenish it at refuelling stations as and when required. Fuel can be stored. Electricity cannot. Yes battery technology is getting better and better but it is very expensive and several decades off from being cost effective. I'm talking about storing MWs of energy here not just the requirements to run a Nissan Leaf.

To be honest I cannot see how pure electric vehicles will be the future, even when the range issues are fully addressed.

How many vehicles are on the road today? Must be tens of millions by now. Fossil fuels can feed this demand; electric only cannot possibly cope with this demand. There are already reports about concerns regarding meeting demand with supply over the winter months and this is at today's levels of demand. When you want to recharge 6 million vehicles at once, in addition to the current demand profile, where will this extra power come from?

Ageing coal and oil fired power stations are not "green" even if they are charging 10,000 Nissan Leaf....

Wind farms...well they are as reliable as that.... The Victorians replaced the windmill with the steam engine for a very good reason......it is reliable and controllable. In the winter of 2010-11 there was a whole month of max demand on the Grid, coinciding with not one single day of anywhere near enough operating wind farm capacity. This was simply because this very cold snap brought with it a month of still, cold, clear weather therefore zero wind farm operation.

IF we are to go all-electric the two essential questions that need a decent answer to are:

i) Can I get the 600-700 miles I can currently get out of my I-DTEC?

and

ii) How on earth are we going to cater for this massive increase in demand? Solar? No! Wind Farms? Not a chance! We need clean coal and new nuclear build to stand a hope in hell of catering for this. :focus:

There is a place for renewables in the energy mix but not in the "eggs all in one basket" as current UK energy policy seems to be dictating.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not to mention charging times are still too slow so without the range what do people that don't have driveways do? You can't trail a power cable across the pavement lol

DeviateDefiant and John Dickson like this.
  16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Plus the annoyance factor of these "EV Charging Only" parking bays.

I was trying to park in Newcastle City Centre on Thursday night and lost count of how many times I felt lucky to see a nice, big, empty parking space only to find that it was for EVs only (hence the reason it was empty in the first place :Rolf:)

17. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    The tesla has a range over 300 miles, and can fully charge in 1.5 hours., with a rapid charge option.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I don't think there's many rapid charge facilities in the country but they are supposed to be increasing the numbers I believe. Still a long time in comparison to regular fuel but technology will probably improve.

19. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    There's one in Scotland and several down south. There's a long way to go, there's no doubt about that.

20. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I think at the moment, its great technology and Tesla have gone a great job, leagues ahead of everyone else, however, 300 mile range is fine if you are just poodling around town and to local work and back where you can charge it every other day back near, or at, your home, but how confident, at the moment, would you feel in taking it a 250 mile trip with no real guarentee that you will actually be able to charge it up or not?

Once the charging poiints become more frequent, and the price of the car drops, I think it will be a real contender. At the moment though, as great as it is, I don't think it is presently a really practical or viable option.

Nels likes this.