Accord/8th Gen Test drive - disappointed!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by RussJ, Friday 9th Nov, 2012.

1. RussJ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    I'm looking for a car to replace my aging (and thirsty!) Saab 9/5 estate and on paper the Accord Tourer looked ideal.
    I arranged a test drive of a 30k mile 2010 diesel auto Ex yesterday and was very disappointed.
    The car went well enough and was very well made but was spoilt by incessant tyre roar and a crashy ride over potholes.
    I realise that noise/ride is very subjective but wondered if this was typical or whether I had a poor example to try?
    The tyres were BF Goodrich and had plenty of tread.
    I'd appreciate some advice please so I can decide to either try another Accord or look elsewhere...

Russ

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The noise insulation is better on the facelift car , BF Goodrich hardly a tyre of distinction is it really , it lower grade non expensive tyre

You need to test drive a new car first then compare a older used one to see the deferential honestly.

3. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I changed my front tyres to Michelin Premacy 3s, no tyre roar for me... although I only have 17" wheels.. does the EX come with 18s?

4. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would test drive a new one from a dealers as noted above. cheersNeil

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

When I test drove mine (facelift 2012 EX Diesel saloon) I was surprised at how much quieter it was than the competition (Audi A6 etc). On the motorway it is so quiet it amazes everybody who has been in it!

What Car? have a piece about the 8th Generation as a used car this month (December) and they note, "...the Accord is refined on the motorway, with virtually no wind and road noise entering the cabin."

Perhaps the tyre roar you heard was down to the tyres fitted (mine is on Yokohama db's) or the road surface itself? Or maybe the tourer is louder than the saloon, in my experience estates ARE usually like that...

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just to echo what CJ said, BF Goodrich aint all that. I recently swapped my OEM Yokohama ones for Goodyear Excellence and they are even more quieter than the Yoko's.

Tyres make all the difference. Plus, drive a manual. You will get better throttle response and a hell of a lot more MPG as well.

EX comes with 17" as standard unless you have the 18" optionals.

7. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I`ve read Accord reviews on other sites (Autotrader, What Car and the like) and a few reviewers also say that the ride was a bit crashy over potholes

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Car magazines are hardly impartial or perfect.

If anything, use them as a guide, not a Bible. Most of the reviews are done by muppets who have never owned Honda's, let alone drive them.

9. RussJ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your comments guys, really appreciated.
    I'm off to try a 2012 manual Tourer over the weekend so we'll see.
    I really want to like the Accord so am keeping my fingers crossed!
    I'll let you know how I get on...
    Russ

10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There's a lot of weight at the front of a diesel Accord compared to a petrol, which is maybe what's causing the crashiness....:Search::Smile:

Diesel hire cars i've driven handle very differently because of it

11. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's also probably due to the fact that volvo/saab are well known as comfortable cars. Everyone i know who has had a volvo or saab always seem to comment on how comfortable it was. Tyre noise and harshness in ride is all part of comfort. Chances are you'll find most of the cars on the used market not quite there as volvo and saab had. The bar on comfort has been set quite high.

Good luck with your search

12. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I`m not talking about the magazines reviews, I`m referring to people who have bought the car and then written reviews on the websites.

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah gotcha.

Either way, going over a pothole is going to be tardy, no matter what car you're in. Semantics.

14. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Accords ride amazingly compared to German cars, BMWs are too stiff and crashy.

Also worth checking the tyre pressure, sometimes they are inflated for 100mph +, there are 2 settings 100mph+ and below.

Tyres do make a difference though, Goodyear Excelence on my Accord, they are quiet.

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I second that.

The Yokohamas were superb, but the Goodyear tyres frankly make the Yoko's look like budget tyres. The grip on the Excellence in all conditions is nothing short of sensational.

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^"Accords ride amazingly compared to German cars, BMWs are too stiff and crashy."^^

Totally agree, so nice to finally have a car that is really comfortable, both ride and seats.

IMHO the Audi "s-line" is especially bad, an A6 is NOT a sports car!

17. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Fundamental problem with German cars, the suspension is designed for German smooth roads and autobahns, they do very little adjustment for the uk.

I find when you drive a BMW or a Mini, you actively avoid any imperfection in the road to save the discomfort!

SpeedyGee likes this.
  18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    BMW engineering department tell the UK owners that the UK roads are not acceptable for their uber fragile alloys wheels.. :Rolf:

No wonder they break , and they can nick the 1 series that easily.