General Test drive HR-V Diesel

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2015)' started by tomwillie, Saturday 12th Sep, 2015.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    While my Accord was having all four wheels balanced I took a test drive in an HR-V which I found to be a pleasant refined drive so much so that a second take was required at speedo at 80mph.

FirstHonda, John Dickson and Ichiban like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What else did you think of it mate?

3. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    It drove a lot better than a Vauxhall Astra hire car I had few days earlier. The HR-V diesel was almost as good as a petrol engine in its progressive power delivery whereas the Astra was very much on or off its turbo.
    The electric parking brake system operates in two modes:
    1) "Hill holder" where you have to keep your foot on the footbrake thus with brakes lights on annoying those behind, which is also contrary to Highway Code advice. Then you have 1.5 sec to go from brake to throttle to move off.
    2) "Parking" Where pulling up small plastic lever in front of button will apply the parking brake & pushing it down releases the parking brake. By mistake after applying the parking brake I took off but did not press button down & it did release OK but salesman indicted that this was not how it should be used. At least brake lights not on & this is how I would use the system with foot on throttle & remember to use release button. I believe the brakes remain applied for 1.5 sec or until sufficient revs to move the car are detected.

I have to say I do not like electronic parking systems. By far the best system is on my Accord 2.4EXi & wife's CR-V which both have drum operated handbrakes. CR-V also has hill holder but we never give it chance to work except to try it when we first got the car.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I hate the electric parking its totally useless and unwanted and not required,Honda have again followed the market thank god the new Jazz does not have it. There is no need for that at all.

However the Hill climb assist on CVT and auto boxes is a brilliant thing.

5. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The other new system that Honda now fit to HR-V & Civic as a consequence of EU regulations is automatic braking which is supposed to reduce rear shunt accidents. There have been cases of brakes being fully applied when a plastic bag blows across the front of a car & also the system operating of its own accord on VW cars. I believe Honda have also had to update their system. Unless all cars have this system it could catch out those behind who do not.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    We need to be out of EU now.

John Dickson likes this.
  7. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Agreed on all counts.

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I got a phone call from my local dealer offering me a free test drive of the HR-V. Havent had a chance to take them up on it, but I think I will just for the sake of it when I get some spare time.

Might use it to lug some junk to the new house - I can then report back on its practicality aspect :Whistle:

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :Rolf:

10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I am going to Newcastle Honda on Wednesday so I will have a look at the new Jazz and HR-V while I'm there.

I've not had one single attempt from Honda at all to make me aware of the new HR-V let alone try and get me interested in one. I got a mailing for Civic about a month ago but that is it. :Whistle:

On the other hand I have been sent a Subaru Levrog brochure and I'm not even aware I asked for one but I must say it looks an impressive bit of kit. Another own goal by Honda. If they aren't trying with existing customers then there is no way new buyers will be attracted and yet again another great product fails (potentially).

Honda 0 - Competitors 786

11. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Subaru has direct injection & if no secondary indirect injection then valves coak up which at about 40k miles means head off to physically clean the valves. Major problem with 1.6 BMW engine which Peugeot use & VW\Audi engines although latest 1.8 VW\Audi engine may have dual injection. Toyota also reported to be adopting dual injection to overcome coaking problem.
    In USA its a $700 job to decoak an engine.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ahh the joys of weasel engines eh.

13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll double check (not got chance at moment) but I think Levorg is 1.6 petrol only, dual scroll twin turbo direct injection if my memory serves me correctly.