Reviews Test of ultrasonic cleaning tank

Discussion in 'Member's Reviews' started by motorbikelover, Saturday 20th Aug, 2016.

1. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom david mee mansfield notts
    Bought myself an ultrasonic cleaning tank off ebay. Its not new its 6 month old but was the one i wanted and £100 cheaper than a new one of the same make and type. Its 20 ltr heated with mech timer i all so bought some cleaner for £27 x 5ltr and is mixed with tap water at 10%. I have 9 banks of honda carbs to clean 4 to each bank. If you send them to be cleaned its around £20 a carb x post so a bank of 4 would be around £100 X VAT so its a good saving. So we fill up the tank with tap water around 15 ltr and add the cleaner and pop in the carbs. I have semi dismantled the carbs for this test. Timer was set for 20 mins but i gave them another 10 to be on the safe side. water temp was set to 60 deg the results you can see for yourself. these tanks will clean most things from a necklace to an alternator and come in a wide range of sizes.

2016-08-20 12.34.43. 2016-08-20 13.05.44. 2016-08-20 13.05.36. 2016-08-20 15.33.00. 2016-08-20 15.33.09. 2016-08-20 15.33.48. 2016-08-20 15.36.09.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 20th Aug, 2016
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ultrasonic cleaners are great I have used them for ages for all bikes, lawnmower and generator carbs and they are the best thing since slice bread.

However having used all these so called ultrasonic cleaners they are all a waste , the best thing I have found is 15 ml of Green fairy liquid in pure distilled water 6 litres, tap water has too many impurities and calcium which will leave the white crusty residue in place you can never reach. If you can't get distilled water then rain waster is equally good, or tap your household window cleaner for some ionised water.

Tap water has air in it for it to sufficiently work you need to degas it i.e. take the aeration out of it for the ultrasonic effect to work as bubbles create less adhesion.If you cleaner does not have a degas mode don't use tap water.

You have good result there buddy but those crabs need a complete dismantle the more you remove the better results.

3. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

still learning with this one. The cleaner i took out after is still good to go but and i have only used 1 ltr out of 5 but being a tight sod i will try your method i do have 25 ltr of distiled water in the shed. these carbs were a spare set i was trying i have sets of fittings and fastners all ready plated in stock as i have six bikes with this type of carbs.

Ichiban likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What carb are those for mate? I would try to remove all rubber seals O rings and don't put the floats in the ultrasonic cleaner the heat will warp em.
    Just clean the floats delicately by hand and ear buds with a strong degreaser. Oh forgot to say Fairy liquid is very stubborn thoroughly mix the liquid in water otherwise it will just sit in the bottom. Try not to lather it up too much just gently mix it up.

5. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

carbs are for 70s honda cb750k and f1 models. i keep keyster rebuild kits in and plenty of jets. i take chrome in about every 3 months and take anything for any thing (prestige plating).I have all the brackets and fastners done chrome no polish as this is mare hard wearing than zink ECT and is not expensive. My tank does not have degas but i let it stand for an hour before i started cooking.

Attached Files:

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Love a CB750 one day mate why don't you start a Motorcycle rebuild thread for that beauty I for sure would love to see that project coming along. Yeah leaving the water after mixing of FL will do it.

7. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

blue k2 i bought new in 73 and will keep the wreck is now done in red and gone but theres 9 more to go at so i could do this.

2003-01-01 00.09.57. 2003-01-01 00.04.53. 2003-01-01 00.01.29.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Simply Stunning I want one now!! :Hooray::bike: