General Thank you so Much Electrical Storm and Hail Stones.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John Dickson, Thursday 2nd Jul, 2015.

1. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

We had a massive electrical storm over Morpeth at 1am this morning.

It sounded like a skip full of ball bearings being emptied on my roof.....

Hail stones the size of golf balls. Didn't need streetlights there was so much lightning.

This is what I found this morning

WP_20150702_17_49_16_Pro[1]. WP_20150702_17_49_52_Pro[1].

Fortunately that seems to be the limit of the damage but still.... :Sobbing:

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Rough,, wasnt it. same hit at rowlands gill..
    i havnt had a proper check yet but i seem to have gotten away with it (fingers crossed).

brother inlaws van took a right hammering,, the roof is covered in dents

3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It was bad Chris. In some ways it was spectacular to watch but the damage is the downside.

However it should've been a lot worse a mate of mine said one of his mates works with a bloke who's car was that damaged its technically a write off. Broken windows and lots of little dents. However could buy it form insurance and put it right I suppose.

I bet it was as bad in your neck of the woods as it seems to have been in the river valleys.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Gutted John how is the damage looking we had thunder storms but touch wood no golf ball hail.:SOS::overtired:

5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers mate just one of those things I suppose - it could've been a lot worse.

One of the lads at work showed me photos on Facebook of his mate's K13 Micra. It looks like someone has taken a ball peen hammer to it - it may even be classed as a write-off if he wants it repaired -and it isn't that old either!

Hopefully there are only these two dents and a very small one in the roof that won't even photograph it's that small. The chrome trim is probably easy to replace and the dent in the bonnet should come out with a smart repair. I had a dent on the swage line on the bonnet of my CU1 and that came out no bother with just a smart repair.

The car needs a wash but I hardly dare in case I find more damage :Sobbing:

I'll pop into Springfield Bodyshop next time I'm passing and see what they think can be done.

It's that type of damage that no one will probably notice as it's minor but I know it's there so it will always jump out at me.
    - - - Updated - - -

Hope there wasn't any damage on your car Chris.

A mate of mine lives at Winlaton and his parents live in Rowlands Gill and they seem to have luckily escaped any damage.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate I you get a local dent remover in your area they can massage the dent out gently without the need on paint. I would go down that route they are really effective.

John Dickson likes this.
  7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers mate I'll give that a try.

Found this method on YouTube:

8. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Had another once over yesterday John. . Looks like I've been lucky.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate I won't try this you cock up you will live with it, these paintless dent removal guys know this field and they will do it in hours with no damage to yourself.

10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    A technique that was taught to me when large panels, like roofs, are dented is the heat and cool method. The last car I built had quite a lot of damage, I had to realign the roof, but unfortunately, the skin of the roof (roofs tend to be single skinned unlike doors, bonnets etc) had ripples in it. You can't really knock ripples out as they just travel whenever you smack them with a counter weight on the other side. So, knock the ripples to one area if you can, then get an acetalyne torch, heat up the metal red hot at a point where a crease starts and instantly cool it down again with cold water. Science takes over, metal expands when hot, shrinks more when cold, rapidly when its suddenly cooled pulling the metal closer together and eventually, removes ripples. Bear in mind, this was done when the car was in panel beating stage so paintwork etc was not a concern as the entire car was repainted anyway.

Great little trick, really really hard to get the nack of it though, really easy to get it very wrong. Not sure if I would still be able to do it now.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Just catching up on... a backlog of posts. Really sorry to see what's happened @John Dickson :Ohdear:
    Have you been able to source a solution yet?

12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks Nels. It's just one of those things and could've been a lot worse damage.

Not had time yet but it's in the dealer tomorrow for new tyres so I'll ask them and I'm off the next two weeks so will have a chance to get to the body shop and see what they say if need be.

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:goodluck:

14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers gonna see if they can recommend a smart repairer as fortunately the paint is undamaged

15. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

How did you get on with this. .

When I cleaned the car yesterday it was made aparrent I wasn't as lucky as I thought. . 4 dents on the roof and one on the bonnet :Frown:

16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry @chris2982 must've missed your post.

The car is going in to Springfield body shop tomorrow. They've been so busy with damage from that storm they asked if I didn't mind waiting and as there was nothing spoiling with my car I said that was fine and they said they'd let me know as soon as they could fit me in. They've had some really badly damaged cars - including someone's brand new 400 mile old Civic which got trashed by the storm and Durham Honda's Civic demonstrator - several grand's worth of damage to both apparently :shock: Also cars fromtheir other franchises.

They've always been spot on with me in the past so I didn't mind waiting to help them out.

They're sorting me a courtesy car but mine's not going in until lunchtime as they could not get the courtesy car back til tomorrow morning so I might not get mine back the same day but that's no problem.

Like I say they are spot on so not a problem waiting as I know they'll do a great job.

17. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My car is in with Springfield Body Shop in Washington and I've got a loan Jazz 1.4 3rd Generation (not sure of the chassis code)

What a canny little car it is. It's on a 62 plate with 33k on it and always been a courtesy car so I bet haven't been the most gentle of miles but it is running as sweet as a nut. Missing my Accord though :Sobbing:but should have it back tomorrow.

It's got a fair bit of poke as well but missing the poke of my I-DTEC.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    She will be back in her pristine state mate, don't be doing handbrake turns in that rapid Jazz.