Introductions Thank you very much...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Elvis Presley, Monday 23rd Feb, 2015.

1. Elvis Presley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Elvis Darlington
    Howdy,

I've just bought a CR-V (1st Generation - 2000) and I'm looking forward to finding out all the stuff I should have found out about before I bought it.

I've been looking for something to help me negotiate some on-road hills (and the odd track) during my summer holidays in Snowdonia. The CR-V seemed to fit the bill.

I'm a 48 yr old with a keen interest in all things car-related. Soft spot for Alfa Romeo. Considered a Suburu Forester/Outback or CR-V. Hopefully I've gone for the right one.

I'll do some searching of the DIY threads, and I might post the odd question.

All the best

Steve

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK Steve :welcome:
    Cool avatar you've got there :Niceone:

Elvis Presley likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club Mr. Presley. Just so you know - you're hereby obliged to provide lots of scenic shots in Snowdonia featuring the CR-V half way up mountain sides :Smile:

:garage:

4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello Steve :welcome: to HK.

Look forward to seeing some pictures of your CR-V and hearing more about it.

5. Elvis Presley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the welcome, folks. I'll be picking the car up in a day or two. I'll take a few pics when I do. It has a few issues, but I picked it up reasonably cheaply.

I'm quite looking forward to the hols now - last year in a slightly lowered Alfa 156 SW was a bit painful at times.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma Steve :Hey:

7. Elvis Presley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks all. Picking it up tomorrow.

The front windows are not going down, apparently, so that'll be one of the first things I'll be searching for. Bodywork has a few issues, some I'll have a go at myself (maybe). Seller reckons lots been done on suspension, exhaust, new tyres, belt, battery and valves (i've been googling a bit on that one).

I'll post some pics tomorrow, hopefully.

Steve

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    looks like you have your hands full. you will get plenty of help on here. with the right tyres and set up I'm sure the CR-V can be very capable off road. one task to take priority is flush the rear diff with genuine DPSF. you're going to be using it a lot off road. welcome to the club

9. Elvis Presley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Full story and pics tomorrow probably.

The headlines are it drove very smoothly the 60 odd miles home. I've got receipts for £1800 over recent years.

The 'list' so far stands at:
    1. front windows - not budging at all
    2. rear /s window went down fine but needed gentle encouragement to return to top - but not much
    3. various body bits and bobs - but not a massive priority probably (though a foglight is bust, and I'm guessing that's a problem for the Sept MOT).
      back door handle bit sticky - so I slick the button/bar under the handle and the door pops open normally. When I close it the latch doesn't catch. The button/bar (sorry about the clumsy language) hasn't returned to original position and needs some manual adjustment, which is a bit hit and miss. I'll give it a blast of silicone lube and see if that frees it up a bit.
    4. It's been a smokers car previously - I'd forgotten how pervasive the smell is. Even the logbook pack is a bit stinky.
    5. undecided on engine temp - took while to get halfway up the gauge, and dropped away occasionally). I'm not quite sure on the intended operation but thought it might be to climb quickly to halfway and stick there. If it's a bit slow to get to temp - might that be a 'stat issue?

Otherwise, surprised and rather delighted with the ride/handling compromise. Seating position and comfort is great.

Good start!

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There's always a few bits and bobs to sort out when you buy a new-to-you car.

Going down the list :-

1) Possibly an electrical issue, fuse, relays or switches.
    2) Sounds like some lubrication is required to the mechanism and the rubber guides need cleaning and lubricating
    3) Door handle possibly needs lubricating or replacing
    4) A good valet inside the cabin should help
    5) Would be worth flushing the coolant out and changing the thermostat and see how that goes.

Overall, there's nothing major there which is good news.

11. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    The back door handles are known for rusting and seizing, on the one I had I took it off and gave it a good soaking in WD40 while working the handle up and down till it freed off. Personally I would not worry about the temperature they do run quite cold.

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and:welcome:to :gohonda:Karma