Service & Maintenance That time of year for the HR-V

Discussion in '1st Generation (1999-2006)' started by MickyB, Monday 9th Jun, 2014.

1. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well it's here again tomorrow my HR-V is going in for its MOT. For once I'm not 100% if it will pass due to the damage caused when my wife had the accident last year. Well all I can do is cross everything.
    So 1 o'clock is H Hour.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fingers crossed matey you done a bang up job on it , It will pass.

3. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just a little worried about the small kink in the chassis arm. Not noticeable from above just hope its the same from below.

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fingers crossed Mick.
    I am sure it will pass with no probs what so ever.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You've done your best. I'm sure she'll look super.
    I hope all goes well. :Smile:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I bet Mick is at the MOT station having kittens.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I can empathise, even though I check and check again before an MOT, there's always that concern that something might trip you up. :Fear:

8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well this is a minus for me

It failed

CO2 emissions to high 0.78 on the first test, 0.72 on the second.

So they want me to take it back in in the morning to go on the machine to check it over.
    Just had a word with my daughters friend over in Chapel en le frith. He's going to look at it at 11 in the morning and give me a price for a new CAT (mates rates) so it should be ok by tomorrow.
    The rest was ok it sailed through,just the bloody emissions....:Frown:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Take it on the motorway and give it a trashing get the tempratrures up it will pass don't get a NEW cat don't!

MickyB likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's a real piggin' shame.
    Agree with CJ, take her for a good run so everything's burnt off.

What were they last year, and what does it need to be to pass?

MickyB likes this.
  11. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It needs to be .30 to pass.
    They said because the car has been laid up and only ran on the drive it could have knackered the cat. I've used cataclean for the last week to see if that would clean the crap out the car seemed to be running better but the co2 just wouldn't come down.
    I followed the instructions for the stuff but not too sure if it worked or not I filled it up today as instructed but nothing. I might bung another bottle of the stuff in before I head off to my daughters mates place in the morning and give it a good burn out going over there.
    He'll pass it if the emissions come close but if not he's got a cat in for me £95+ vat, £25 for the test and nil labour so about £140 if it needs the cat. If it passes he'll just send it back and I'll pay for the test.
    They would probably charge me an arm and a leg where I've just been I only go there because its close to me.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    don't change the CAT mate it will be fine, the fact its been laid up the car need a blow out. snake oil will do nothing the CAT need to be hammered for it to work properly.

Last edited: Tuesday 10th Jun, 2014
  13. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Micky, when emissions don't pass, don't forget the obvious things:
    - valve clearance
    - spark plugs
    - lambda sensor: no error messages?
    - crank case ventilation
    - injectors OK? Did you use injector cleaner?
    Valve clearance and spark plugs are crucial for emissions and a cheap fix. A good new cat can clean everything, but with an old cat other factors can make the difference.

By the way: I believe they measured CO, and not CO2:Wink:. CO2 is not harmfull (no immediate effect) and has no limitations for MOT. CO is extremely toxic.
    Good luck!!

Nels likes this.
  14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mum had the same issue with her 03 Civic - all her journeys were less than 5miles every single day, consequently it failed MOT. I put some cataclean in (quarter tank of fuel left) then she thrashed it down the motorway for 20 miles and it passed with flying colours the following day :Smile:

Nels likes this.
  15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think the problems started last year when the car was SORN and I had the new cat fitted but only ran the car on the drive, when I put it back on the road and it was MOT'd it was close to failing on emissions. So I think the problem came from there

16. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I gave the car a full service when it was off the road after the wife's accident in march so new plugs,filters etc the Lambda readings were fine nothing wrong with them, they wouldn't say what could have caused it but the machine would tell them(and it would cost me)?
    I used injector cleaner after the service.
    Sorry CO!!!!!