General The 2016 Formula 1 thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FirstHonda, Saturday 19th Mar, 2016.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Anybody else watching qualifying this morning?

The new system is ok, but seems to me to be in favour of the fastest cars - and I know that sounds counter intuitive and ridiculous - but what I mean is that it is even more predictable now than ever. Hopefully the teams will get used to it in a couple of races time.

Not a good start for Jenson and Fernando either. Again.
  2. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Jim mytown
    I was watching it too (on free streaming of sky)

As the commentators said, the idea behind the new system was to increase ticket sales both on qualifying day, and for the race day (because qualifying might mix the grid up). But it was a double fail, as the commentators said, the crowd would not know hat was going on, because the slowest driver was usually in the garage and didn't bother to come out again (because they needed 90 seconds to get round before their count down began), and it didn't mix the grid up either. Furthermore, no cars on the track in the last 3 minutes of qualifying. Glad I didn't pay a penny to watch that,

As they said, if the new system continues, they'll have to insist that all cars come out on the hard tyre with enough fuel to stay out for the 7 minutes.

The McLaren's did do a bit better than last year, and start to finish in the points at least.
  3. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The new qualifying turned out to be a complete farce... with drivers not being able to even get in change tyres and get back on track to complete an outlap before being knocked out... Vettel was out of his car and changed into casual clothes before the session was even finished... and still ended up 3rd.

Cue emergency meeting and a return to the old format for the next race.

The knockout idea isn't a bad one... but it was rushed through, badly implemented and fully thought out.

What I'd like to see is a format that allows every car to be on track in clean air... So send out a driver... as they start a hot lap... send the next car out. Once a driver has finished their hot lap, they have to stick to a specific delta time on their in lap to avoid getting in the way of the next driver.

Pick the order they go out in a lottery so as to through an element of randomness into it... as the session goes on and the track improves/worsens if the weather changes.

Do that to decide who gets into the main qualy and eliminate the slowest half of the grid leaving the top 10 to have a shoot out with a max of 3 hot laps.

Teams save on tyres and thus costs, there are ALWAYS cars on track and you still get the risk element of a top driver screwing up and going out early, or a lower ranked driver getting through because they went out last and the track had rubber'd in or the temps had changed to suit their tyres better.
  4. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    What a disappointment.

Last 4 minutes of Q3 was spent watching drivers get weighed and dandering about the paddock.

I think Lewis Hamilton made a good point in trying something different over the next 4 races and see what works, because the current setup simply does not work.
  5. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

What you want is excitement which is created by uncertainty a la Jensen button Canadian Grand Prix
    Remember the rain and Coultard trying to identify a bird on the waterlogged track. LOL !
    It's a will he won't he situation which creates the uncertainty leading to a climax
    You do not want certainty ie the same car winining all the time
    Heckler likes this.
  6. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That ranks as the greatest race I've ever seen.... from last to first in 15 laps... 6 pit stops, damage to the car... Incredible.

I remember watching that whilst in a caravan in Norfolk, it was a heavy rain storm there as well as in Canada and I was on the edge of my seat shouting at the TV in excitement.
  7. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nothing can replicate the events of that day but here goes

8. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Did you link to the wrong clip?

Here's the actual race. :Smile:

9. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

FOM - ( formula one management ) block the video the only source I can find is daily motion and its in 4 separate parts
    Best race I have seen
  10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Bloody hell Fernando, that was a horrible crash!

My Fantasy F1 season has started's never good when two of your selected drivers crash out together :Ermm:
    Heckler likes this.
  11. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah... almost reminds me Mark Webbers from a few years back... and he crawled out and walked away.... I wonder if that would have been the case if these halo devices were installed, that could trap him in the car if it's upside down.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I saw somewhere that Ferrari have their own version of the 'halo' that will be shown next week.

Incredible how strong the cars are these days. Very pleased to see him walk away from that one, as was Gutierrez!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ha! Did you just tweet them @Heckler as on Sky F1 they've just asked your exact question!
    Heckler likes this.
  13. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

And as if they heard me... they're now discussing the exact thing on Sky.
    FirstHonda likes this.
  14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

You should have said,

"So I just rang Martin Brundle on his mobile, and asked him..."

- - - Updated - - -
    To go back to the actual racing, am I the only person who likes seeing the Renault team back in a proper livery?
    Heckler likes this.
  15. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'm a little annoyed,.. using the F1 app on my phone for timings and it's a full 30 seconds or more ahead of the Sky broadcast.

Although I am watching it on my PC via Sky go... I gave up sky TV a couple of years ago and instead use the sky go of my folks as it's only the F1 that I was watching anyway.
  16. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just watching on streaming as I'm at work. That was a big big crash. Glad Fernando is ok.just heard an interview on 5 live with RON Dennis he said they have built a good car but are still having engines down on power but it will come. Get going Honda your engines are better than this. Just waiting to see when they are going to retire Jenson.
  17. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It's all getting a little boring now... aside from Sainz & Verstappen it's now just a procession once more.
  18. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Alonso just interviewed on 5 live can't apportion blame just a racing incident. Biggest problem for the team is they will have to use a new engine which will mean team penalty points again
  19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Yes, don't think Ferarri / Vettel quite have the pace to really challenge Mercedes. Famous last words... he comes!
  20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My thoughts:

Haas did well with Grosjean.

Verstappen will be fun again this season.

Very disappointing from McLaren / Honda who still don't seem to have the pace.

Ferarri may be competitive with Vettel but I don't think Raikkonen has it in him any more to win races.

I see another Mercedes procession in most races this season...sigh.