General The Accord isn't well

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by andykid, Wednesday 17th Feb, 2016.

1. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455709006.569094.
    Now got to wait for an engineer to assess if this is bad enough to write it off......

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    What did you hit/what hit you?*

*delete as required

3. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    i was going straight on at traffic lights, car coming the other way decided to turn right...but didnt wait and just went....i slammed on the anchors, but still hit the side of her car as she merrily was oblivious to any oncoming traffic! I've no idea if the damage is bad enough to write it off though!

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Thats damage to one of the main support members but not in an essential area of safety however there is clearly another issue as it looks as if the bonnet is pushed out of alignment too looking at the way the bonnet meets the wing above the headlight

Can you open the bonnet and take some pics from inside there too

5. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    car is now sat at home awaiting an engineer visit....the headlight has been pushed back and now over the wing slightly, and when i drove it home it massively pulls to the right....under the bonnet looks ok, in fact when i slammed the bonnet shut it sits normally now

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Ouch! Sorry to see that Andy.
    Let us know what the inspection shows.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ouch !!

Hopefully it's repairable.

8. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    hope it's saveable

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Damn.. glad to hear you are ok but sad too see your Accord.. hopefully the engineer saves the day.. Good luck

10. Nighthawk Guest

Hope she is repairable.

When is the engineer coming out to see her?

11. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    Only happened yesterday, so hopefully in the next couple of days....

12. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    I think they will write it off and offer it back to you as a cat d. It happened to my friends car recently they offered him scrap amount or he could keep it. Plus what his car was worth.

13. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    Assessor is coming out on Monday....it badly pulls to the right so I guess the front corner is all out of shape.....shame it was only serviced at Honda last Friday!!!

14. Nighthawk Guest

Not necessarily mate. It takes one heck of a hit to bend the chassis and main beams. Its more likely a bent LCA or tie rod ends. A side blow like you described shouldnt be enough to bend the chassis. Id be amazed if it did.

Nels likes this.
  15. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    Well I'm just going to have to wait and see!
    You may see an accident damaged accord up for sale soon!

16. Nighthawk Guest

Best of luck bud. I hope the little lady recovers just fine:goodluck:

17. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    They will category D that sadly.

My advice would be to buy it back after your pay out, get a good local body shop to jig it straight then find good panels to replace the damaged ones and have yourself a cheap accord.

exec and hondream like this.
  18. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I can't see damage to the wing, or to the actual bonnet itself... and what I can see appears to be common enough problem and if it's constructed like a few other cars I've helped put right after similar damage... the list is as follows.

Bumper mounts
    Bumper Bar
    Bumper
    (lights/fogs if required)

There is likely to be some slight twisting to the top cross member, hence the gap on the bonnet... depending on how bad it is, it can sometimes be twisted back into the correct position.

Bumper mounts and bumper bar are simple bolt on items designed to crumple in low speed impacts whilst still protecting the main subframe from crumpling. As it's crumpled it's applied pressure to the top cross member and twisted it.

I've fixed 2 MX6's with similar damage, in both cases all that was needed was the above, one had a slight twist to the top cross member and one didn't... it could even be as simple as the catch has been pulled out of position (as was the case on one of them).

It's by no means a write of from what I can see... but that doesn't mean the insurance won't due to the scams that are vehicle repairers over inflating repair costs. Would most likely be worth sourcing all the parts from a breaker and you could fit most of them yourself if you are handy with a few tools. I've give it a 3 out of 5 for difficulty... depending on the cause of that alighment gap for the bonnet.

EDIT: Having now read every post, I see it's pulling to the right badly... so forget most of what I said. I am surprised that the kind of impact described and the damage I can see in the pic... would damage the chassis itself. But it does need to be checked on a jig to rule it out now.

19. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    Well I've had the phone call now....it is indeed a cat D write off, on the plus side.....after some haggling I'm getting a settlement of £2700 (£2500 after excess paid) so every cloud and all that:Smile:
    Anyway....best get on and find a new motor quick!!

PeteMM likes this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You don't want to buy it back? Thats not really serious damage on face value, so is repairable, unless its been catastrophically damaged underneath.

Nighthawk likes this.